1234567Next
Back New
Author: Chadford

"Organic food" - is the concept past its sell by date?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:22 Mobile | Show all posts
2 posts, one with a YouTube link disappeared from this thread.....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:32:23 Mobile | Show all posts
They have been moderated.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:32:24 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd be more concerned about buying free range, high welfare meat then organic. All organic buying guarantee's is that they are fed organic food and, if they are outdoors, that the ground hasn't been sprayed by a non certified product.

My mate has his farm certified as organic and the meat that he produces is far from high welfare (I'm not saying it's been mistreated or anything, just not high welfare) where as the meat that we produce is not organic but is as high welfare as it gets. And it shows in the quality and taste of the meat. My customers are always welcome up at the farm to have a look around. I've said it before and I'll say it again-if you actually care about the meat that you are eating you could do a whole lot worse then finding a local small holder and buying from them rather then relying on what the supermarkets tell you. All the supermarkets care about is the bottom line.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:32:26 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't care much for organic food. You can't feed the world on organic farming practices.  There isn't enough arable land.  You need food technology and intensive farming techniques to maximise farming returns if the world isn't to starve as the population continues to expand.

Organic is a temporary Western indulgence IMO.

I care about animal husbandry and animal treatment but organic farming isn't the answer.  The answer is lab grown meat.  So basically, my view is we need to double down on the science and leave organics to people lucky enough to own their own small holdings.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Can't I be concerned about both high animal welfare meat and them being fed organically without overuse and abuse of antibiotics?

On a more serious note, you highlight an important issue wrt to animal welfare and farming and the role of supermarkets. I buy our meat direct from the farm usually, except for buying British free-range chicken from Lidl.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:32:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Chicken was the only meat we used to buy. (everything else is either ours or traded with other local producers) I say was because this year we had a few spare turkeys so rather then just freezing them all whole we butchered up 4 of them into joints and split the breast meat into portions before freezing it. Each breast alone was 3lb! It makes a marvellous replacement and I can honestly say that if you didn't know it was turkey then I don't think you would realise. I'm not a big fan of left over turkey recipes but cooked from raw it's every bit as good as chicken.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:28 Mobile | Show all posts
My wife's a vegan and we buy organic where we can on some things but more or less we try our best to buy exclusively cruelty free meats for the rest of the family.

Yes it's expensive but I'd rather fork out a few more bucks on a chicken that didn't feed on other chickens that died in their cages (that are allegedly cage free... sorry but I consider a 10x10 pen with 50 chickens in it as a cage).  So we do our research on the "cage free" stamped eggs and chicken.  Also try to get grass-fed meats, not the standard corn that's in everything these days because of all the subsidies for corn and how easy it is to mass produce.

I find it funny when people stick up their noses at other people that buy organic or with a conscience about how the animals are treated.

Personally, I feel like all fruits and vegetables should be cheaper so people ate more healthy than they do now.  A big ass bag of chips (crisps for you gents) is cheaper than 1 pineapple or pomegranate.  It's no big surprise that the poor often have higher body fat percentages than those who can afford to buy fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.

Scientists should be focused on making fruits and vegetables cheaper to produce (except for corn and potatoes, those are cheap enough and in everything) so they aren't crowded out by meats/cheeses/potatoes/corn/rice/beans

/stepsoffsoapbox

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:29 Mobile | Show all posts
The only Organic produce we buy consistently is milk.

Started growing a few of our own veg last year, runner beans, carrots, beetroots, cucumbers plus some raspberries and strawberries.....plant to plate in under half hour....now you're talking!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:32:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Nah, you be wanting 'Fresh frozen' mate

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits