123456789Next
Back New
Author: Ayub

Is a curry a curry?

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 05:38:13 Mobile | Show all posts
I hope you'll enjoy it when you get the chance. I really enjoy the food and do pop over from Westminster for it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:38:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I tried to avoid the sweeter currys these days. I guess many years ago when I first tried a Curry, I was attracted to the sweeter tasting type but now I rarely touch them or at least limit them to one or two if I'm eating with a group.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:38:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I have had very very few Indian style curry's I've enjoyed. All seem very generic, base source, toss in different meat, colour, and token added veg depending on dish.

My favourite curry is a Beef Rendang, I've had it in Malaysia and it tastes the same as the ones I've had in Europe so I assume it's authentic.  Same with Katsu Curry. Tastes the same in Tokyo as London.  Never been to India but I'll bet my bottom rupee that British Curry is nothing like Indian curry.  Used to work with an Indian guy and his wife made him fresh vegetable curry every day for his lunch.  Looked pretty good and nothing like you see in high street Bangladeshi style Indian.    We took him to an English style Indian once and he wasn't impressed and very dismissive of both the food and staff.  Apparently as an ex Mumbai resident only recently arrived in the UK, he considered himself real Indian and a cut above the Bangladeshi "riff raff" serving him. Made for some very interesting Indian on Indian racism and a very awkward meal.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:38:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Yet you happily eat those huge nasty kebabs you previously posted pictures of?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:38:17 Mobile | Show all posts
When I make a curry I usually use mustard oil. It tickles me that, whilst you can buy it in the UK, it can't be sold as a foodstuff.

My curries often have that quality where there's oil in it completely deprecated from the food. Not sure what process is going on here, but I don't use any more oil than when I'm cooking a Bol or a chilli.

Steve W

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:38:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Or rather Indian on Bangladeshi racism

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:38:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I find a few Indian restaurants around here  tend to be like that. No sooner have you finished your meal, then you are being given the bill an ushered out.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:38:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm in hospital at the moment, once out I gave asked GGTV to help me with a little research. I cookit, he eatit. With honest feedback here. I think I'm loosing my mind lol I think that food given in outlets confirm to some sort of acceptable standard. A curry should be unique, rich in flavour easy on the eyes and heaven on the taste buds. I can't find a shop that cooks well enough to satisfy me.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:38:19 Mobile | Show all posts
My wife and I prefer 'freshly cooked curry' as against 'stock pot curry'. By the term 'curry' we mean 'spicey food'.

Lots of the restaurants keep a 'stock pot' of basic curry sauce 'continually on the go'. It is added to the main base ingredient, ie. cooked prawns, chicken or say, lamb, and then served up on the plate. There might be a minor spice alteration, such as something to 'hot up' the dish, like maybe say, whole or chopped chili peppers, powder, chili seeds or garam masala as examples. One advantage being here, that the basic stock pot sauce is 'cooked out' and can be quite flavoursome in itself. If the sauce isn't cooked out properly, then you can experience a 'raw' or 'powdery taste'. This can make the curry experience feel amateurish and is often the problem, when inexperienced people try to do a curry at home using curry powder.

Freshly cooked spicey food can be an utter delight to eat and often the dishes are quite innovative too.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:38:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Many thanks, really usefull link. My takeaway choice's have changed as a result.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部