View: 580|Reply: 14

Just a quick little vent...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 20:42:40 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As a non-smoker / non-vaper, am getting increasingly cheesed off with the huge plumes billowing out of some vehicles windows coming straight through my air conditioning vents and stinking the car out with some sickly sweet "fruity" flavour; likewise while walking down the street behind someone who seems to be trying to do a "Thomas the Tank Engine" impression.

I'm all for you improving your own health if vaping is getting you off a dangerous cigs habit, but please just do it with a little consideration.  

This isn't aimed at anyone in here, but just putting it out there in the hope that maybe, just maybe someone who does this reigns it in a little...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 20:42:41 Mobile | Show all posts
Can't say ive ever smelled someone elses vape from another car, certainly can smell another cigarette and can tell if someone is smoking one nearby if following and bam, one comes out the window.
Worry about that and fumes from other cars in traffc we smell all the time rather than a bit of vapour.

In public i agree, consideration. But in cars it's a total non issue.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 20:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I only mention it because I recently spent the week in Nottingham and 3 times in 2 days of driving in slow traffic I ended up behind someone who it seems thought they were on the set of a Cheech and Chong movie in their car... .  Thick plumes billowing out the driver's window.  Apart from anything, I can't help but think they're probably more preoccupied with their "cool plumes" than actually driving.

I spend a lot of time on the road and specifically swapped out my factory pollen filters for Activated Carbon ones which have a huge effect on NOx gas levels in the cabin, but it was pretty clear the vapour had no trouble getting through!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 20:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
As a vaper I get a lot worse smells in my car than a tiny bit of ECiG vapour - exhaust fumes, cigarettes, manure, diesel etc so it's not something I've ever thought would cause an issue. By the time it's out of the window, into the air and then drawn into someone's elses vent then, surely the impact must be tiny...
However, as someone who uses kit that does chuck out some clouds, I'm always aware of who is behind me in the street and make sure I don't puff where someone is likely to walk into it. It's just common courtesy.
Having said that, it's a whole magnitude less obnoxious than fag smoke....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 20:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Well, in these instances it was like someone had let off an air freshener in the car.

Like most things, most people are courteous.   I must admit I don't know why anyone would want to belch out huge plumes of smoke of any kind in public, though, but hey ho I'm not a smoker.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 20:42:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Mmmm, let me help you.  Most of us vapers don't do it with the aim of belching out huge plumes, we do it as a considerably less harmful (to us and others) alternative to smoking. Yes, many of us are addicts, and are trying to give up, so look down your nose at us if you like, but please, there are far worse things in the world to get upset over.

It's NOT smoking, and I'm not a smoker, although I can understand why some people don't understand the difference.  It is Vapour, more akin to what comes out of a kettle.

unfortunatley, some people seem to have more of an issue with vapers than they do with smokers.  When I visit our London office, I go outside for a vape on the street with the smokers.  Being London it is always busy, so I take account of wind and always blow the vape either up or down, to minimise the impact on others, however, without fail there will always be someone walking past who makes a point of coughing like they are practising for an cough mixture advert audition.  Do the cigarettte smokers ever get the same reaction?  Nope, never.  

So, yes I do try to be considerate, but seriously, the air one breathes in a busy major city (or in a traffic queue) will be far worse for ones health, and smell a hell of a lot worse.  If your carbon filters are not filtering out the smell they are not working, I'd go moan at your garage, not the guy who is vaping.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 20:42:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the post.  That is an interesting (for me) point.  The carbon filters do an excellent job of filtering out diesel fumes, but not this.  I drive close to 30,000 miles a year and the difference between the two filter types (paper and carbon) is immense.  So why the vapour odour passes so strongly I don't know, and only fuels my suspicion of it.

I'm not looking down on anyone - I'm married to a smoker myself, and wish she would start vaping - but I just don't get the arms race that does seem to be going on with bigger and badder clouds of vapour, which ultimately do nothing for the social acceptability of it.  Regardless of whether you think it is safe I don't want to walk through plumes of stuff I don't know anything about if I can avoid it, yet the sheer volume of the stuff in some cases makes this very difficult.  I live within a couple of minutes walk of I would guess 10 vape'ing shops round here and sometimes the sights are getting slightly comical...!

I don't get how that amount of vapour is helpful to the person giving up (over another product that had the same nicotine content but less vapour) - to me it personally feels that the industry are tapping into the gadget loving side of our brains (heck, we've all got one of them on here...).  Maybe the distraction / enjoyment of the fact I've got such a bad-ass vapour cloud gives vaping one-up on the cigarettes, I don't know.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 20:42:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep, I must admit that there does seem to be a cloud chasers willy waving thing going on amongst some vapers.  I don't get it myself.  Admittingly my current device puts out more Vapour than my old device, but for that I get a bigger hit, with more flavour for a much lower nicotine content, and it has allowed me to reduce the nic content by 75 per cent over the past 6 months, whilst not increasing how much fluid I use.

Re the point about walking through clouds of the stuff, if a vaper is just puffing away and blowing in people's faces, then shame on him or her.  Some vapers will be considerate, some won't, from my experience most are.  But likewise, some non vapers will see a vaper vaping and still walk past tutting or going for an academy award in coughing, when they could step sideways, even just 1m, to avoid it. They would if there was an aggressive dog tied up outside a shop, a smelly vent, or a leaking gutter pouring water on a pavement.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 20:42:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Normally unless you like going green and having headaches the attys that are classed as cloud makers will require a very low level of nicotine, 1 to 2mg.
Over time attys have progressed, I started at 35 mg nicotine back when I used what was called a Screwdriver with a real basic atty that would last a week at most.
Some companies aim right at what they see as Cloud chasers while others aim at mouth to lung users that require a higher ohm coil and produce less vape and then there's everything in between.
Personally I don't like producing bellows of cloud when out in a crowded space let alone driving.

With all that said unfortunately we live in a society where common courtesy and common sense is fast disappearing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 20:42:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks, appreciate the explanation, and what you write makes sense now I think about it, but of course to someone who isn't in the know on these kind of things all I see is ton of "smoke" I don't understand, which I guess is where the courtesy comes in!

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部