Back New
Author: aoaaron

Your Top 10 games of the last 10 years

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 22:36:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I haven't gamed nearly as much as I did when I was in my teens and all my favourites came well before 10 years ago too and are from the PS1 era. But to play along:

10) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of Patriots

Doesn't quite reach the dizzying heights of the 1st game and Snake Eater, but this was a much better send off to for series than Phantom Pain. The Shadow Moses return was the highlight.

9) Infamous 2

The best Infamous game, though I really liked the variety in powers in the third one. This should be the template for superhero video games. It's very polished and Cole never feels too over powered.

8) Dead Space 3

Yeah, I prefer this over the 2nd game, which was good, but nowhere near the horror gaming masterpiece that people would have you believe. It was certainly no Resident Evil 2, that's for sure. Dead Space 3, however, was the game I always felt the Dead Space games ought to be. It always struck me as a game that was more suited to action sci fi than survival horror and the weapon systems made it a game changer even if it was a tad bit complex. I also liked The Thing references, the snowy atmosphere and the general challenging nature of the game

7) Limbo

Might be the only indie game to appear on this list. Thought this was great. Simple level designs, fun and, you know, it's nice to see a 2D game that's worth its salt and is a reminder that great gameplay doesn't have to involve a million different command buttons and crazy high level 4K design. I just wish the game had faded into colour at the end like I thought it would, but I guess it couldn't with that gloomyish ending.

6) Wipeout HD

These are the only types of racers that I have , and while I always saw Wipeout as a poor man's Rollcage, I still enjoyed this version immensely. Loved that it was one of the few PS3 games where you could put your own custom playlist over the races. I was big on the Eliminator mode and multiplayer was actually fun in that nobody could cheat and pull off the usual bollocks

5) Sleeping Dogs

An open world game to rival (and, at times, best) Grand Theft Auto 4? The distinctive thing about this game is it's set in Hong Kong and features some top notch hand to hand combat as well as decent driving mechanics and shooting. One of those 'should have had a sequel' types.

4) Tomb Raider

Wasn't that fussed when I heard that this was coming out. It looked like an Uncharted clone with the Tomb Raider tag, but boy oh boy did this turn out to be one of the best action adventure games I had played in a long while. It somehow manages to out uncharted Uncharted and if you played the optional tombs, it feels like a very complete game as those tombs were probably the highlight. Really refreshing take on Lara Croft too, no longer to sexualised big titted action heroine of the 90s, this Lara was starting from the ground up, and the new weapons upgrading aspect only served to reinforce the narrative of Lara becoming tougher and more deadly as she develops, though it was that awesome reference to Neil Marshall's excellent horror The Descent that gave me the most chills. Amazing moment with the duals pistols too. Great nod to us veteran players.

3) Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Whatever Tomb Raider did, Rise did even better. The already excellent gameplay is refined and the environmental puzzles are absolutely dazzling. One of the reasons I can never play an Uncharted game ever game. Fab action adventure gaming.

2) Grand Theft Auto 5

Even as a non fan of the series, I just can't look past GTA V with it's memorable characters, sharp witted commentary on modern society, bad ass heists and general dense world building. There are a LOT of open world games out her today, probably too many if you ask me, but none have come close to the brilliance of GTA V. A spent a lot of hours on this game and each was memorable.

1) The Last Of Us

Ah. The game that made me realise how much I enjoyed games. This went deeper though. For the first time since a Metal Gear Solid game, I was as much interested in the narrative as I was in the gameplay. This is quite a feat as I am not one that plays games for stories. But The Last Of Us was just note perfect in that I felt like I was genuinely taking part in an unfolding survival thriller.

Has there ever been as brilliant an opening to a game as this one? Starting off taking control of a vulnerable little girl wondering around a house as it becomes clearer and clearer that something is off in this increasingly troublesome world. Interesting how you end the game taking control of another young girl, albeit one much more world weary and battle hardened. Speaking of which, the Winter segment might be my favourite part of any video game ever and never did survival feel so important than when you took control of Ellie.

A true genuine video game masterpiece.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:36:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Nice presentation

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:36:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Infamous 2 and dead space 3 are crap. You need to get strung up by your swingers and thrashed heavily. Don't ever make a list like that again please. It's extremely upsetting.

Use magic Report

Don't fret, boss. My bird does that to me on many occasions

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Lol. Oh yours does that too? I was beginning to think I was a freak.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:36:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Nah mate, not just you, some wilds ones out there

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
COD BO3
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Farcry 3
Farcry 4
Tomb Raider
Rise of Tomb Raider
Witcher 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Left 4 Dead

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 22:36:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Nah I think Sony will keep it like they did demon souls. Also it could be an easy 4k remaster gravy train for them for the ps5

Use magic Report

Minecraft (Aren't we all?)
Fortnite
GTA V
Planet Coaster
Prison Architect
Papers Please (masterpiece)
Game Dev Tycoon
Dont Starve Together
SimAirport