Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
12Next
Back New
View: 1010|Reply: 17

Console Minis

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:49:58 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Sorry, but I just don't understand this whole let's remake an old console or computer in mini form and stick a load of ancient games on them and resell!

I grew up with Spectrum and Comadore computers so like a bit of nostalgia like the best of them, but crumbs I don't want to actually buy another one of them some 30 years later!

When the smartphone boom happened all we got to start with was remakes of classic games, hell we still have them today! So I'm all out of nostalgia in regards to playing old games.

If Nintendo did not keep making these damn mini consoles they may actually make enough Switches to supply the demand!

Now we have the latest mini being the C64 hitting..ERM the internet next year too..

Damnit, enough already - let's look forwards and not trip over ourselves trying to look back.

Right I'm off for a

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:49:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I never thought I would say this but, I kind of agree with you Jay. I've been a gamer all my life and cannot understand all the frenzied fuss over the release of these 'mini's'.

Maybe I'm getting old but, I just don't get it. I still own all the old consoles. They're all still boxed and in storage but, I seriously doubt I would never get them out and fire them up again - not because I don't want to, but because it's too labour intensive and a mini is exactly the same effort - just with a smaller box.  

These days, I find it far easier to keep everything in one place on one box and that means emulation on my Pi3 RetroPi or Hyperspin for W10 on my NUC (well, two boxes).

Another thing is that these mini's are saddled with a selection of games. Don't get me wrong, they're all decent games but, I suspect I'd get bored of 21 games very quickly (even including the unreleased StarFox 2 and Earthbound which probably makes the mini a worthwhile purchase for those who never played it).

However, I don't have that problem with my emu boxes and I guess that's why I'm struggling to get excited about them. I grew up through the Pong, ZX81, Speccy and Console era and a trip down memory lane just doesn't get me going anymore. Yep, I'm getting old..

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I still have some old consoles too, and I still collect games for them, but... I like the minis. I see them as appealing to two markets, those who haven't played those old games since they were kids and want a quick nostalgia fix, and those who like nice collectables.

I am planning to buy a Shield at some point and set it up with Retroarch on my TV, but for now the SNES mini is a great and easy way for me to play games I missed back in the day on the big screen. (for me that means (unforgivable I know) Earthbound, Super Metroid, and Final Fantasy 6) And to replay Super Mario World, Mario Kart, and Castlevania IV, because they're always worth revisiting.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Marketing & Supply and demand. How many hundreds of thousands/millions etc of people get nostalgic.

Entry price is also considerably less than it would be trying to replicate the 'old experience' by sourcing a console, gamepads, individual games, compatible leads/adapters, possibly a crt, etc.

First and foremost though quality and targeted marketing IMO. If people don't know they want something, create that 'want'. If people can be reminded of a good experience, remind them

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a suitcase full of Spectrum games in my loft that I want rid of. Do you collect these?

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Not me, but plenty of others do. Stick them on eBay.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Same here. I grew up playing Commodore 64 then Amiga then consoles. But i wouldn't go back and buy one, technology moves on for a reason!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I like the minis.

For one, they give you a dependable modern video output (HDMI), so no worrying about incompatibility or RF/SCART/Refresh rates.

Next, they give you access to 'original' controllers. For the Nintendo consoles, that means high quality and near as dammit exact feel of the old ones.

Lastly, they ensure 100% compatibility of the included games. No more booting up zSNES to find the Mario Kart ROM is glitchy and have to replace it with a EURO/JP/NA version. Just like the original console, you click load, the game starts.... or in the case of c64 you could whistle some random notes for 5 mins with your eyes closed AND THEN START.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:08 Mobile | Show all posts
hhmmm have you ever had the C16 or 64 with a cassette drive to load games just to wait for 30 min and to find out it resulted in an error and you could start over again? I agree on many points and I do collect all the old originals as well but I like to keep them pristine and don't want to worry about those old system failing due to old components so in that regards the mini's make sense and I will get a C64 just love it I hope they do plan to release an Amiga as well!

I dislike the emulators as the controls are not very well implemented and some are cumbersome to use and simply they are just not the same feeling.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部