Author: JAy3001

Console Minis

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Nintendo have picked two consoles that had genuinely great games, produced them to a very high quality, given us original controllers, and priced them very reasonably. What's not to like? Also, I highly doubt they're manufactured in the same place as the Switch. They certainly weren't designed in the same place. So it's not going to be holding up stock.

If nothing else, they're a great talking point - so many people at the office are "proper gamers" which sadly means they just play FPS titles on PS4/XB1. But even their eyes lit up when they saw the SNES mini. Ie when games used to just be fun.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Seems lately gaming is going the same way as the movie industry, no originality, just getting flooded with remakes, prequels,  sequels and milking of franchises.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:11 Mobile | Show all posts
For me it just brings back lovely memories and simpler, less stressful times and I'm all for that.
And in the case of snes mini it also brings back some truly great games.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Years ago I used to look back with fond memories of the old episodes of Dr Who I watched as a child. Then they came out on VHS and I watched them. Generally they were rubbish.

I find the same thing with a lot of the old console games. You look back on them with fond memories then you play them and realise they were rubbish. The sound was often just beeps and pops. The graphics were pixelated and the games deliberately set to be hard. Usually just 2d platform games. If 2D platform games are so good why don't we see them anymore?

Buy the old stuff for the nostalgia but once that's past I don't think many stick with it.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:13 Mobile | Show all posts
A mini Dreamcast would be nice.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm loving my snes moni classic. I could easily have purchased an original snes but getting it play nice on a HDTV is not worth bothering with IMHO. Also the controllers have been recreated perfectly. I have an Xbox with a shedloads of roms and is ok for the odd blast here and there but then you have to faff about with controller convertors, adapters etc. It's hardly worth bothering with.

Anything pre dreamcast I can perfectly understand why it would get a new retro release with HDMI output etc. And people are buying and enjoying them so it'll attract more developers to make other computer/console minis. Bring it on, no one is forcing anyone else to buy them so there's not harm. The last modern game I played and enjoyed was uncharted 4 which was good but not great. Before that GTA5 which is a masterpiece but these days I'd rather visit older games which I missed out on and try to actually complete them rather than have a quick blast and put them down again.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 22:50:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I just saw that C64 one on Amazon but then read somewhere it's a fail(ed/ing) kickstarter? It's on my wishlist but I'm not holding my breath for it. Besides that, there were SOOOOOOOOOO many great C64 games that it was bound to miss out a few (Gauntlet/AufWiedersehenMonty/Thrust/Panther for example)....which is the issue. A selection of games will never satisfy everyone and then there's the fact that emulation (which is what these things are) will also never be 100% the same as the original.
I think the reason they're popular is simply because many of us do not have our original's stored in the attic to play. My C64 went to my nephew, my PS2 to my other nephews, my gamecube to others etc etc. Plus the fact that HDMI output is nowadays the only way to connect things to a tv (my bedroom LG has no scart or rgb input for instance).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 22:50:16 Mobile | Show all posts
They are great for nostalgia, ideal for young kids and games don't cost £40 a pop.

I have couple of Chinese nes and galaxians, galaga etc are still fun today.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部