12Next
Back New
View: 573|Reply: 11

Question Any of you got Atmos to work on the Xbox One S?

[Copy link]
27-11-2019 02:27:52 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So apparently the Xbox One S has been updated to support Dolby Atmos. You have to make sure that the blu-ray setting menu is set to allow passthrough of audio to an AV Receiver.

I've done this, and my Xbox One S is passing audio to my Denon X2300. Previously it just showed DTS or Dolby Digital depending what one selected with the audio output menu.

But now I've enabled passthrough I'm getting Dolby True-HD from UHD disks such as Mad Max and Batman V Superman. So something has definitely changed.

However what I should be getting is Atmos. The receiver surely should be showing it is showing it is receiving at Atmos signal? I've just watched a YouTube video and the person co-incidentally had the same AVR and they got the Atmos notification.

So this seems an odd problem. Setting passthrough in the blu-ray app is allowing my Xbox to send a direct signal, but it's not the full Atmos version. What's going on here?

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:27:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Just updating my own thread, I think I've solved this. It was somewhat confusing.

My receiver is a Denon X2300. It can show you what the input signal is and what it is outputting. And I couldn't get it to show it was receiving an Atmos signal. I thought the input would be entirely independent on the receiver and be totally down to the Xbox.

It seems this is not the case.

Once I set the receiver's amp config to having Dolby Atmos surround speakers (even though none are really connected), the input information changed to show that that the previous "Dolby True HD" signal was now an "Atmos" signal. And when if I retained the Atmos amp config, but removed the Atmos speakers in speaker config it showed "Dolby True HD   Dolby Surround".

Surprised that the input information changed based on the receiver settings rather than the player.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:27:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I think the Xbox one s needs you to download and install an atmos app to enable atmos pass through. If you check settings -> audio (in general settings, not the disc specific settings menu) I think there is a box to enable atmos compatibility and it prompts to download the companion app

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:27:55 Mobile | Show all posts
You did read the second post didn't you?

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:27:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I skimmed it

Good you got it working - I'm about to start on a similar thing, having an Xbox one s and an atmos amp but just not the speakers yet

I know what you mean about odd behaviour by amp but it does make sense - there's a lot of threads about being careful with Atmos because it's an 'addition' to the TrueHD track and using a different decoder like Neural:X can drop/lose the atmos part of the track.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:27:57 Mobile | Show all posts
It's certainly taken me a few weeks since buying my new Denon AVR to get to grips with the various options. I'm a very techy person, but my last AVR is from 2008, and things certainly have changed a lot.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:27:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Did this happen only when playing a UHD disc or was it also showing Atmos during games? And did you have to change anything else?
I've just tried this and I seem to still only get a stereo signal from the Xbox once enabled.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:27:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Just UHD disks. Atmos support is coming to games on the system, but it's not there yet.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Ah - OK. I only have the Xbox One - so no UHD yet. I thought that enabling the option would enable it for games and the Xbox would just handle the positioning based on the audio objects in game.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:01 Mobile | Show all posts
A bit more info on this, I found a forum thread on Reddit where somebody was struggling getting ATMOS to work and primarily the demo videos.
It seems to be an Xbox/X2300 issue, essentially it works for other people/amps but doesn't work fully on the X2300.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部