Author: Maurice Chavez

What is the point of wireless chargers?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:21 Mobile | Show all posts
That is literally the definition of "wireless"....

A wire less. What were you expecting?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 22:53:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes it really is wireless charging Don't know why you are even arguing that point. It won't be connected to the charger at all.

No need to switch off WiFi and Data, just use your DND functions. All phone operating systems have them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes it does, it even works if the phone is turned off. I use the do not disturb featured though.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 22:53:26 Mobile | Show all posts
But its not really wireless is it.

Imagine having to put your laptop on top of your internet router just to connect to the wifi, you might as well just plug it in via Ethernet lol hahahaha. Wireless charging is a completely pointless gimmick.

Also the way people are saying they just plonk their phones on the charger whenever they get the chance, this is not how to charge batteries, this method of charging will degrade the batteries and reduce their lifetime.... but i guess this is good news for the phone industry which is trying to churn out hundreds of pointless new phone models every year and forcing us to buy them by killing our batteries with "fast charging" nonsense, as well as bloating our apps and making them run slower even though they perform the same function as 10 years ago.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Nope. You are comparing Wifi with electrical induction.

Wireless charging can mean your phone, ear pods etc could have no sockets. No sockets means you can fully waterproof or sandproof the device. Or put in a sealed case and leave it in it.

Constantly plugging in or unplugging a cable is physical wear. Eventually that will fail.

Plugging in and out requires you to see or feel what you are doing. At night, I can take my phone on and off the charger a lot easier. The charger has a small LED so I can see where the base is.

It holds the phone semi-vertical. With the "always on display" showing the time, it means the phone functions as a night clock so I can see how long it is till morning.
It was fine for a couple of years with me having a Samsung S7 and has been fine for the last two years with my Samsung S8. Same charger as well. One of the best things I've ever bought. Think it was only £15.

It could be used in a lot of things. Build it into a pub table. Place your phone down, have it charged by the time you leave. Same thing with cars, armchairs etc.
My wireless charger charges slowly. It's fine as it's on the charger overnight. If I want to fast charge I use the plug and cable that came in the box with the phone.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 22:53:28 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you are just arguing for argument sake. And your understanding of battery technology is many years if not decades out of touch.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 22:53:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your thoughts on wireless chargers, however none of this changes the fact that wireless charging is a gimmick to me personally.

A "phone as a night clock on a stand" as you mentioned is hilarious to me personally,  but i respect that you have found a new feature that you like. It doesnt mean that i personally find this an amazing new and useful cutting edge feature.

You not being able to plug your phone in in the dark is also hilarious to me personally. I have never woken up in the middle of the night and thought oh shoot i need to plug my phone in. Ill either plug it in before i nod off or just charge up while im on the bog in the morning. But im happy for you that your phone charger helps you sleep at night i really am, but it doesnt mean everyone else has this issue, personally i can plug my phone in to charge in complete pitch black no problem.

You can go on defending wireless charging all day long, and i am very much enjoying reading everyones ideas and how this new method is very useful to people, and i respect that this new method has alleviated problems you had, but it will never stop it being a complete and utter gimmick for me personally.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Then don't buy one.
I go to bed, I use it as an alarm, it displays the time, I just have to place it down and I wake up to a fully charged phone. All for £15. I'm not saying it's a cure for cancer but I can't see any downside here.
I can get up and change channels on the TV by pushing buttons on the side of it no problem. I find it easier using a remote.
Then don't buy one then.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:31 Mobile | Show all posts
The big plus point of wireless charging is the reduction in wear and tear of the socket on the phone. Many years ago the usb socket of my wife’s Samsung phone died, so she couldn’t charge it. Luckily, she managed to get it repaired in a couple of days but with a wireless charging option the wear on the socket would never have arisen. My next phone will have to offer wireless charging. It’s a pity that the feature hasn’t yet made its way down to mid-range handsets. My Sony Xperia Z1 has just about died after maybe 6 years service, so for now I’m using my wife’s old Samsung S5. Something like that with wireless charging would do me. Pity I can’t add the option as that would do for me.

Clem

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:53:33 Mobile | Show all posts
You can buy wireless charging cases for the S5
Samsung Galaxy S5 S View Wireless Charging Cover (Blue) - Samsung UK

Use magic Report