Author: Matrix80

How is the Vinyl experience?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:28 Mobile | Show all posts
There are two kind of people in the world - Song people and Album people. I suspect most older people are Album people, and most younger people are Song people. But I suspect that serious listeners are also Album people because they listen to the Artist independent of the song.

Then there are Lyric vs Music people. Some, especially younger, listeners are all about a given Pop Song. Older listeners, and yes I'm generalizing, are about the music. To put on Dave Brubeck's On-Time just to listen to one track is absurd. When you put it on, you listen from beginning to end.

Though many other sub-division exist, let's cut to the chase. There are Vinyl people and NOT Vinyl people, and that is fine. If you don't intend to listen to full Albums, then perhaps Vinyl is NOT for you.

Every format of music has its place in a modern music system. It is not a question of whether one experience is better than another, it is the fact that each type brings something unique to the table.

If you have an interest in Vinyl, and you are willing to make an investment, then it is certainly most worth while. But how interested in Vinyl are you? Though I have a much longer version of this, this is the short version, if you are not intending to accumuate 300 to 500 Albums over time, then you might want to re-think that choices. (estimate 1 foot of shelf space per 100 albums)

Again, there is a longer version of the next point, but I'll give the short version. Spend about £1 per album you anticipate eventually having on the turntable. Obviously this is not Law, just a general guide for purposes of evaluating your position. ~£250 to £500 is a decent turntable for a 300 to 500 album collection. If you willing to spend £1000 on a Turntable, that implies you are willing to collect 1000 Albums - about 10 feet.

Again, this is just a guide to help you understand how serious you are about this. If you plan to collect 30 albums, it seems hard to justify £300 or £1000 or £2000 on a turntable. Even 100 albums (about 12" to 14") seems hard to justify a considerable amount of money for a turntable. Keep in mind this is not albums on day one, this is albums you assume you will accumulate over time. Just be realistic about it. I would love to have a few thousand albums, but realistically over a considerable span of time, I've managed to collect 500.

Equally as I have already pointed out, if you listen to songs instead of albums or artists, then perhaps Vinyl is not the best choice.

Nothing should be excluded from any music system, but what is included needs to be built on understanding of what you are getting, what it does, how it works, and how they system will be used.

For a SONG person, I'm thinking that Vinyl is perhaps not the best choice. However, for those who listen to Jazz, or Classical, or music focused on the music itself and the artists, then perhaps Vinyl does have some potential.

What will work for you, only you can determine. Vinyl has its appeal .. if it appeals to you and you mode of listening. But, it is something of a hobby, and not for everyone.

Just a few random thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Eh no. My preferred poison is those shiny small discs, which give me the licence to either play them as is.. (rarely)  or transfer them  as lossless FLAC digital copies onto hard drives and memory chips to play as I walk on my daily constitutional, or at home. I have given up on streaming services and prefer the thrill of the chase in charity shops.
I like to think I have been generous, and accurate  in my comments about record players

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Joke somewhat lost now. I've deleted the double posts.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部