View: 111|Reply: 0

American Animation Comes of Age.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
30-11-2019 11:07:35 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
The first thing I would like to point out is that the Title of this Film is "The Prince of Egypt", NOT the "Ten Commandments." or "Exodus."

I say this because I hear a lot of criticism claiming  that Dreamworks skips over Moses' descent from Mt. Sinai, the Golden Calf, and his 40 years in the desert etc....  I don't think Dreamworks wanted to tell that part of the story with this movie.  I consider the heart of the movie to be about the love between  Moses and Ramses.  I have also read criticism that the film centers more on their relationship than it does on that of Moses and Aaron, his real brother.  If you ask me, there is more to tell about two brothers who spend their whole life together and end up bitter, albeit unfortunate, enemies.  Aaron, while bound by blood, is unemotionally attached when they meet.  I found it impossible to hate Ramses, and applaud Dreamworks for making him a person, not a stereotype.

That said... I loved this movie.  I will be VERY disappointed if it does not do well at the box office.  Dreamworks is taking a big risk with this movie, which will hopefully set the precedent for every animation to follow. Disney beware!  Or take notes.

One of the previous comments states that Dreamworks takes no risks in "Prince"...  I can't believe someone thinks that...  With all the crap that Disney has thrown at us lately, who can not be impressed with what Katzenberg has done?  I can cite many examples, but one will do.  Disney would have NEVER attempted the scene where Ramses son dies, and the audience sees his lifeless arm fall through the open door... let alone the next scene where Ramses drops the  cloth over the boy.  The sight of a very young corpse (and it is painfully obvious that there IS a corpse under the cloth) is very effective.  Ok, I'll mention another, but only because this second one is so very obvious.  What about the Risk of making an animated film about one of the most important stories in the Bible, knowing all the while that you could offend scores of people's religious faith?

I would also like to say that the animation impressed me more than either of the "insect features" that came out shortly before this movie.  True, they are completely different styles,  (and very wondeful) but nothing in either of the previous blew me away quite like the parting of the red sea... or many other wonderful examples throughout "Prince".

I need not review the Story, but I would like to say that the person above who calls the plot lame.. or something like that... just is not thinking. That's a lot like saying the plot of Les Miserables was lame.  Sure, the movie COULD have been lame, but the plot has already proven itself to be a classic.  As it is, I don't think the movie was bad.  In fact, I've never been this excited about animation before in my life... This coming from an animation major in college.  I don't think I can say enough in praise of Dreamworks efforts, so I'll let it go at that.

score 9/10

Brian-75 20 December 1998

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0467594/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部