Author: wrench86

Tado smart thermostat

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 21:02:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Had my set delivered yesterday, not gone so well for me though :/  Installation was a breeze, I didn't even have to remove my controller back plate as it was the same size as the extension box.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be controlling my boiler, when I switch heating on, the boiler isn't lighting up showing it's doing anything despite the flame icon appearing.

I set the water schedule last night and did wake up to hot water, not sure how that happened as I can't get it to do it manually.

Waiting for support to get back to me after sending them various photos, hope it's simple.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:57 Mobile | Show all posts
hi all - sorry to re-open this thread after being inactive for 2 months but I've just got my Tado installed - I have main thermostat, extension kit and one smart TRV.

After a few issues (the first extension kit was faulty) and some configuration issues Tado's end, they appear to be setup and working ok. It's a good time to test in the Summer months when the heating is not on (even though the weather at the mo is rubbish!). Hot water works well.

Anyway, my question is following on from posts c. 91-99 is around the TRV "calling" for heat. Tado have enabled the TRV to also "call" for heat (like others have said) and it does work. However, I believe that the whole heating comes on - therefore my other non-smart TRVs that are open also get hot. I'm not a plumber so is this right? If so, I assume that the only way around this is to either install smart TRVs on each radiator and set them to be off/min temp and/or close down the manual TRVs on radiators I don't want on?

Also, how are people getting on with the geofencing/location setting? I've not tried that yet.

Thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:02:58 Mobile | Show all posts
redbulluk33 your assumption is correct, when the TRV calls for heat this calls for the whole heating system to come on, so yes you will either have to install the TRVs in other rooms or set the manual ones off/low.  I only bought 2 TRVs and put them into the room where we have a log burner these then turn the radiators "off" in that room when heat is being generated from the log burner.

With regards to the geofencing, I've setup my phone and the wife's phone as presence sensor and it seems to have been working really well.

Our house isn't on mains gas, we just have a large gas tank buried under the back garden and I have noticed consumption being reduced since I installed this.  I hope to pick up more TRVs before the winter hits.

I have also recevied the updated version of the internet bridge, but not swapped it over yet.  Anyone had theirs and does HomeKit finally integrate with it as promised?

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:02:58 Mobile | Show all posts
@SirSpike - thanks for confirming. Will have to save up some money for a batch of the TRVs then!

Sorry I don't have Homekit - Tado works well with Amazon's Alexa though, although commands are limited at the mo. Hopefully improve over time

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 1-12-2019 21:02:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Has anyone got a tado starter kit working with Google home. I think I've finally decided between the tree home automation assistants. Just want to make sure it does work in the wild.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Just picked up the Tado Smart Radiator Starter kit and 4 extra Tado TRV's. I have them installed fine but when they call for heat the boiler fails to respond.

I have a wireless thermostat and a viessmann boiler. I have no intention of getting a Tado Smart Thermostat as I plan on regulating the heat through TRV's only.

I have just picked up the extension kit for £80 but wanna make sure this is the missing link before I open it as Curry's won't accept it back once opened.

Thanks for any hints, tips & tricks for Tado

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:03:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi PasPer2

The best people to contact are Tado and I've found them helpful & quick to respond if you send them an email.

However, according to Tado website (google Tado extension kit & its the first result):
The Extension Kit enables you to control your hot water. It is also needed to connect the tado° Smart Thermostat to your heating system if there is no room thermostat or if you have a wireless room thermostat. The Extension Kit works then as a wireless receiver for the heating system. The Extension Kit can only be used as an additional product of the Smart Thermostat - Starter Kit (v3).

Based on the above, if you don't have the thermostat kit, I don't think you need / can even use the extension kit. What do you want to use the extension kit for? If it's not for either or both of the 2 items noted above, you probably don't need it.

I have the room thermostat starter kit v3, and then bought separate Tado TRVs for my radiators. I had to contact Tado to ask them to enable something their end such that any one of the TRVs could "call" for heat, and not just the smart thermostat. Someone on this thread did the same and I hence I contacted them. It now works great in that any one of my smart TRVs can switch the boiler on without the Tado smart thermostat coming on.

However, I would have thought the smart TRV kit should have this enabled from the get go. I would contact Tado directly and I'm sure they will be able to sort the problem out for you.

As I said above, they've been great throughout responding and helping me with questions on how Tado works, compatibility with my heating system and resolving a few teething issues in the install.

Let us know how you get on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. I will be on to Tado on Monday.

I assumed I needed the extension kit as a way of allowing the boiler and the bridge to communicate with each other.

I really like the simplicity of the Tado products, once I have my routine setup will probably forget I have them

Will let you know what Tado say ...

PasPer2

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Anyone happen to know if Tado devices can operate as a mesh network like zwave devices or if they all depend on direct communication with the Tado controller? The latter is my suspicion.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Direct connection I believe. I have Tado in reasonable size house ~2500sq ft. Room stat, extension box and hub function flawlessly together. One of the best products I've ever purchased. Having said that, I do like my tech and like to play but this is so "set and forget", you almost forget you even have it. Just the way home automation should be.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部