123Next
Back New
View: 824|Reply: 24

[beginner] which smart system? (components), mainly lights automation (sockets maybe too)

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:34 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

I'll move to new flat in a week/two. however i'll just rent it, so no big changes. i wanted to use BlackFriday deals to buy some 'smart stuff'.
For now i used few LIFX bulbs (which uses WiFi).
In a new place - 3 bedrooms/living room/kitchen i'll try to install smart lights at least in one 3 rooms. I want to control them mainly from voice assistant (and phone).
1. Which assistant is better? Alexa has most devices, but Google is not far behind? I read In some reviews, that Google assistant is more sophisticated (can understand more, communication is more natural).
2. continue with LIFX (and add more lights) ?  or something with hub is better?
3. are different hubs (phillips, samsung etc.) compatible with different devices? (not from the same manufacture). How does it look like ? is there a special app for that (every) hub to configure connected devices? (give them names, create groups etc.? - so i can use it thru voice assistant)

(maybe i'll buy Philips hue kit hub, or Samsung Smartthings is better ? and why ?)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Google Assistant is by the better assistant. In terms of smart home, Alexa and Google are pretty much on par. Don't bother with Siri.
                                                                                –– ADVERTISEMENT ––​​
Lighting, Hue is pretty much the leader here, no questions about that, but they are pricey. You can add cheaper bulbs to the Hue system though so long as they're compatible. Lifx are ok, but they're WiFi based.

Smart hub has to be Smartthings. Home Assistant is a decent solution too if you don't mid DIY,  however keep in mind that no matter what solution you go for, theres going to be a quote a technical learning curve to do more complex stuff.

I've got a mix of Hue, Lifx, WiFi Plugs, Z Wave and ZigBee lights. Any Z wave or ZigBee device can pretty much connect to Smartthings, and all devices can be instructed to control each other.

For example, I have a Fibaro motion sensor in the living room that's connected to Smartthings. Using webcore (Smartthings app) I've got my hue lights in the living room to come on when light levels are below a certain amount and motion is detected.

They'll go off again if no motion detected. If Plex is playing something though, it'll dim the lights, brightening them if show is paused or finishes.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 21:03:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Hue is pricey, but so far ahead of the competition that the difference in the quality of light just speaks for itself.

And funnily enough, I do not use an assistant despite having near full home automation It just doesn't work for me on several fronts;
1. Giving commands seems so old fashioned, and despite multiple attempts, they still get it wrong and then you'll be looking for the app or another interface etc. And get turned off by automation.
2. No to me, automation is about automation. Have the smart home do the things before you have to ask it to do them. I mean come on, telling someone to do something is not smart. Having them anticipate the next move is smart.

Approach it from that perspective and the systems you put in will be complimentary, and not gimmicky. At first you may wonder whether you switch the light on or not, but later on, it is just there. And you can do that with everything.

Nope, I'd focus spending the money on smart lighting primarily, add heating to it as well unless there is already a good thermostat in the property that covers your needs, then perhaps a controller and integrate with blinds, curtains (ideally combined with heat as well). And don't forget security either.

But ultimately think about what it is that you want from it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Exactly this.

For the most part, I have most things automated, but I still use a voice assistant to take manual control such as changing lighting colour, asking to see X camera on X device. Things that are not a routine.

Heating and lights are pretty much the standard nowadays, however there is far more you can do should you want to get more involved.
Blinds for example would require constant power, motors and relays, however there are now companies that make full units although expensive.
IKEA are breaking into the market too, offering done reasonably priced alternatives.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:38 Mobile | Show all posts
I get that automation should be able to anticipate, but how would any system know when I go for a shower and to turn on the light, fan and speaker opposed to just turning the light on as I'm using the toilet?

I currently use a mixture of Hue, Hive, Shelly, and other Zigbee/Wi-Fi devices. Mostly controlled through Alexa, but also some switches. I have recently deployed Home Assistant so I will be swapping some of these over to that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Theres a level of automation that is completely over the top in my opinion.

I've got a friend who had a security floodlight controlled by a motion sensor.  You know the type.
He's replaced it with a Hue floodlight and Hue sensor to perform exactly the same thing.

If it was something like ambient lighting then I could understand.

My biggest issue with smart lighting is the lack of manual override.  Sure, Hue has their switches, but if they're replacing your main room lighting then you still have the regular switch.

Using something like SmartThings with Fibaro relays or Aurora One dimmers means you can use standard LEDs, have complete control over the lighting circuit, and still override it with your regular switches.  It's expensive, not plug and play like the Hue, but totally worth it IMO

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I agree, the shower was just an example of a particular use case I have. That's why for our regular lighting, I'm changing to Shelly devices and will keep the standard wall switches.

There's no concrete answer. Find a system that works for you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Take a look at Aurora Aone lighting if you've not already invested.  Z-Wave/Zigbee but fantastic options

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Shelly are £10 modules (much like the Fibaro). No need for a hub. Work over Wi-Fi. work with Home Assistant too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:03:40 Mobile | Show all posts
My suggestion about Aone was that they have dimmer and switch modules that you just swap out of your existing plates, but they give both rotary and switch manual control, as well as enabled smart control.

Not box to put in your circuit etc

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部