12Next
Back New
View: 632|Reply: 11

Best budget gimbal?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 01:53:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As the use of my left hand and arm gets steadily less, I now need a gimbal to help me take photos and shoot video. I don't need anything too fancy or elaborate (I am neither Lord Litchfield nor Steven Spielberg) and I have been looking at the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 and the Zhiyun Smooth. I have also seen like a gazillion others on sites such as Gearbest and Banggood, with as many weird and wonderful names as features.

Any recommendations?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:53:11 Mobile | Show all posts
I use a monopod. It gives both horizontal and vertical stability and can provide a pendulum style balance like a steadycam.

Plus it acts as a walking stick.

Not glamorous, like some of these smartphone gizmos, but it works.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:53:12 Mobile | Show all posts
I decided on the DJI Osmo Mobile 3. I went for the combo pack with case and mini tripod for £119 from the Apple Store. It is worth every single penny. Quality bit of kit, superb software, also integrates with third party software like filmic pro.

And steady hands or not, I wish I got something like this many years ago.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:53:13 Mobile | Show all posts
What are the benefits of the hand held gimbals?
Cameras have sophisticated image stabilising systems which, I find, work well. Plus I find support systems which remove the strain of holding cameras to be the answer to hand holding. In my case the monopod is easy to carry and provides almost the same camera support as a tripod with the additional benefit of supporting me while walking.
It is my view that a hand held gimbal just increases the weight to the camera without supporting the camera and any additional mics or lights.
I await any reply with interest.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:53:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Smoothness when walking, and panning are two key elements that handheld doesn’t even come close to.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:53:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Better than a monopod?

I have used a monopod as a type of Steadycam and, along with the OIS, it gives a very steady picture.
Will an Osmo 3 support a camcorder or just a phone?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:53:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes most definitely. But the operative words is when walking! A monopod or tripod is absolutely fine, with a proper and smooth video head on it, when you are in a static situation. A Gimbal comes into its own when you are moving about and want to continue recording.

They are different tools for different situations.

The Osmo 3 mobile is specifically for mobile phones. Works really well when doing say 4K on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. But you can’t go bigger or heavier than that. There are other models better suited for different cameras. Naturally the heavier the camera the bigger the gimbal setup becomes.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 01:53:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for your differing opinions and recommendations.

My phone (Huawei P20 Pro) only has video image stabilisation in 1080p mode, so shooting video in 4K ends up a shaky mess. As Bl4ckGryph0n says, stability when on the hoof is a plus point. 360 degree panning and auto tracking are other plus points. On the other hand (or not, in my case ) the monopod, as proposed by Terfyn, would have its uses in crowded conditions, for when the impossibly tall guy in the crowd invariably chooses to stand in front of me. Coupled with the gimbal would surely make it a photographic force to be reckoned with. And it would make a pretty groovy change from my walking stick.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:53:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh yes. Almost forgot about the tracking. Some pretty amazing footage can be done that way when moving, panning and tracking at the same time.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 01:53:19 Mobile | Show all posts
A controversial choice perhaps, but I've gone ahead with purchasing a Xiaomi Mijia SJYT01FM. There are several reasons for this. First, and most importantly, I paid just over £50 for it, around £40-£45 less than current RRP. It also has joystick control, which the Zhiyun doesn't have. It is very plastic, but supposedly has a sturdy finish. This is important as I'll be having surgery on my shoulder after Christmas and my arm will be in a sling, and receiving physio, for around 12 weeks followed by another 5 months recovery. The gimbal has also received very good reviews. I bought the international version, rather than the Chinese version, which should mean an English manual and app. If not, it goes back and I'll get my money back.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部