Advice needed on producing some videos

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:29 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

I've taken on a (voluntary) role at work to produce some videos next week for a large coding competition we're hosting.

The purpose of these videos will be to introduce the judges (one by one), give an overview of the competition (which will be sent to 40  schools), inspiration type videos etc

I've taken and edited videos in the past, but this time I'll be limited by the tools I personally own.

Essentially, I currently have an RX100 (1st Gen), Blue Snowball and a specced out 2017 15 inch MBP.

Initial thoughts:

I'm going to need time to set everything upAudio will need to be recorded separately, and synced up in editingI'm going to need a tripod, not sure if it'll be a standing or sitting videoUSB C hub will likely come in handyNot sure what I'm going to do about lighting - I'll only have overhead office lighting.32GB SD cardWas going to use something basic to record audio, like garageband or something
Is there anything I should look out for? Any resources that would be useful to go through?

Many thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a pack of three LED lights from Neewer. Neewer® CN-LUX360 5400K Dimmable LED Video Light Lamp (3PCS)
They work independently or in sets and, with the Neewer® Four(4) Packs of Hot Shoe Flash Stands they make a versatile lighting rig for close up work.

A Lavalier (tie-clip) mic and lead to your camera may be a useful addition rather than syncing in your Mac.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:30 Mobile | Show all posts
My predicament is, I'm going to be in an office in London, and don't want to cart round a tonne of video gear

My camera doesn't have an audio in jack

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:31 Mobile | Show all posts
The issue as I read, is that you need a vast amount of gear in a small space, with no professional assistance etc.
To suggest "it can't be done" is not the issue - you have taken on a difficult task by any measure.
To make life easier - I wonder you don't get a GoPro with head-band attachment - there are look-alike/cheaper version so you'll be spending about £50.
Some models have microphones and as you won't need the underwater-spec the "open" housing should be fine. Don't expect great quality... but if you get close to the person speaking, then external noises may be less of an issue.
The downside of GP's is the wide-lens can't focus - but unless you are very close this won't show much..... If it's on a head-band, you need to avoid shaking your head - move about like a studio-camera (slowly). BTW these usually take a microSD card which you should Format in the camera . . . . do some "trials"  and check how this can be put on the Mac computer.... well before the Event.  You'll need a spare battery Charger and maybe a second 32G card.

Didn't understand that "Garage recording"... if you mean a solid-state voice/music recorder, which you have - then use it - People understand having a microphone  thrusted - and may help them collect thoughts before speaking. Watch the level though - once overloaded you can't recover . . . most recorders have an "Auto-Gain" feature which might help.
You might tell the person how interesting that was - but could be shortened in the EDIT - so can they give it in a nutshell.... This technique may save a lot of Editing time, without losing the essence of what they are doing ( which I'm not familiar with what you said the event comprises).

Practice makes perfect... and interviewing your children/friends doing some table-top task may help your approach and camerawork.
If lighting is going to be tricky, then you need to heed what's been suggested prior.
Your own camera is high quality, but needs much attention to keep focus/framing and tripods can be "difficult" if you are moving about an event - hand-held is "almost" a no-no without a camcorder ( which are designed for on-the-move). You could use your camera to create sharp stills as "Cutaways" - if you can take  a moment to set-up the picture. The close-up can illustrate a point the speaker is making.
  Introducing the judges can be tricky, as each will want to be top of the heap. Taking a Still pic avoids them wanting to waffle... and your headband GP should capture their face/name/status. If the Still has "background defocus" then use it,  as it makes the film professional....IMHO.
You should take a notebook with tied-pen so folks can write their names. Make sure you have a "Official Photographer" badge to give your permission status.
A monopod is another possibility, but I'm not familiar with the Event Set-up and what film you are expected to produce.  Take some stills of the building outside as this "places" the Event - also collect a few leaflets, Guides etc. for Research later-on.

( Phew! Hope that helps.)

It is very risky to use new-gear, esp. when there is no chance of a follow-up.
However, if the alternative is no-video.....
- you might get away with it, for another Event, next year.

Good Luck.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Hopefully you've already worked out where to film the judges?

You want a plain wall behind them, no distractions, and it needs to be somewhere quiet.
Can't stress this enough - if there's a high level of background noise you could struggle for ages trying to correct it, and even then chances are it won't sound good.

Air con hum is ok, you can filter it out. Traffic noise outside the office is more of a problem, as is people chatting in the next office/reception/whatever.

As someone suggested a lapel (lavalier) mic. is probably your best bet.
The Blue Snowball is ok for recording (unseen) voices but you don't want it in shot.
A directional mic on the camera (even if you have to hook it up to a separate recorder) is also worth considering.

I used to mix a lot of these things and normally (if it had been done properly) I'd get two (split) channel audio from two mics, then you have a choice of which channel to use in the mix/edit.

Neon lighting of the kind you find in most offices is hideous, either buy some cheap lights or (as you're in London) hire some. Some places will deliver if you don't want to cart lights around.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm sorry you may need to do a bit of research on this. The lights I suggested would fit into a couple of pockets but are very powerful and controllable.

If you have the facilities to sync an audio track to the video then OK but you may find lip-sync difficult. Some video editors have a multi camera option which uses the audio on the video to sync with the good audio track on your Mac. (I presume your camera has on-board mics)

Have you tried the on-board mics in a similar situation. I say this because some years ago I carried out a series of interviews with sixth form students. The camera was on a tripod just over my shoulder but it recorded both sides of the interview easily.

Suggest you hire a video camera and mic for the interviews. You may struggle with the kit you have.

There are many ways to support your camera apart from a tripod. Sometimes I use a PEDCO UltraClamp Universal Window Clamp on the back of a chair instead of a tripod or monopod.

Harry:- Garage Band  is a line of digital audio workstations for macOS and iOS that allows users to create music or podcasts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Since it is not for private use, do ensure you have a editor that allows business use.
Make sure you have a charged battery and spare if possible, also a spare sd card.

Use a tripod or a chair and stack of books, boxes or magazines.

Try to find a quiet small room to record in , no echo and light colour walls will help reflect light and make it look bright.

Set your camera up at home and practice videoing yourself ( or use the intend space if available. )
Many interviews are recorded in mono and audio played on both tracks.

If you go on youtube you will see plenty people use anything from phones, cameras, camcorders and actions cameras. many with not a single extra light used.

just look around .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks all for the replies - will have a look through it all, and answer any questions

Super appreciate it!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Garageband is a piece of software on Mac - it's free, and is quite similar to Logic Pro which I have a fair amount of experience with. It has a fair few voice effects and manipulation tools I can use to help cut out frequencies etc.

This is pre event, so the videos are going to be sent to the participating schools (and the teams). Separate videos will be recorded in the future as intro videos at the event. Will have more time and better equipment for this - I'm going to the University of Surrey to help arrange it all, as it's where the even is being hosted.

Office room is already booked I haven't seen the exact locations, but I've been to the building before and it's well kitted out with reasonably soft lighting (no spotlights etc).

A loud clap at the beginning of the video should do the job

Office wise:

It's a sound proof room, air con can be switched off.

I think the equipment will be good enough, and I'm not really looking to spend a tonne of money on new stuff, as it's being paid for by myself. In an ideal world, I'd use a lavalier mic, but I have no easy way of connecting it to my macbook without investing in even more equipment. Perhaps a shock mount for the Snowball held above the camera, out of view.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Garageband is ok but more aimed at music, if you want a decent free audio editor, try Audacity.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部