Author: Cameron583

Advice needed on producing some videos

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I've used Audacity a tonne in the past - is it available on Mac?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Ah yes, Mac's - although there are users here (I guess), most Platforms here are Windows. On a similar point you could have included "garage band software..." as I thought you were already recording so-called "Garage Music" and had a suitable recording device.  If you are taking a Mac PC to record the voices, this is quite a lot of additional kit IMHO..... whereas a Zoom/Palmtrack (
[I saw a G4M website that's selling an iphone clip-on device for £14 - it appears to operate as a stand, presumably to tilt the screen hands-free. Sadly, the mic appears to be internal. They also offer an 8G internal recorder, but for a little more a Tascam using microSD memory card and conventional screen_Mics with external mic option. Importantly it offers headphone-out which is really useful to get the placing right, avoid odd noises, etc. You'll need large muff, closed-back headphones - about £50 ( Tascam Recorder £75). ].
If you plan to sync with a clap, make sure it's clearly in-shot - It's probably worth mentioning the "Take Number" as well "eg Mr Jones, Take 2" - v.helpful at the EDIT stage.

University of Surrey will have all the gear you need - just need to try it out first as most stuff has features like "Please ruin my recording" in plain sight (and then hidden) - so the next user wonders why it failed to record.

As you say this is a Pre-Event, then there is time to spot shortcomings.
Good Luck......

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Well, in that case, audio software is sorted!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:14:33 Mobile | Show all posts
So, did some of the filming today - went really well. Had some really nice soft overhead lighting and blinds to shut out sunlight. Only issue was that the air con control panel wasn't working, so I couldn't switch it off.

There's a noticeable hum in the background, but I should be able to EQ it out

Overall, people found it much harder to talk on camera than they had anticipated, which made for some really funny out takes. Unsure if I'll be able to link to the videos here, but should be able link you all to the website once it's up (which will have embedded videos - go figure).

Edit:

Uni of Surrey don't want to get involved as marketing want all videos to be done "professionally" if their logo & brand is involved, and as this is a side project for the company I work for, they don't have the budget to bring in a film crew and have the footage edited professionally.

I get it, but it's still annoying :/

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:14:33 Mobile | Show all posts
A/C noise can be filtered, but far better to shield the mic ( e.g a thick towel over an umbrella which is over the mic but tipped so the Speaker is in-line. This should cut noise by a few dB and make  it easier to fix later. Having a lapel-mic will also help as this is so much closer to the (good) source.. ).
Finally, make sure you record some Ambient sound, i.e, everyone silent - this can be used for NR or as a patch if needed. The odd word can be substituted afterwards, ideally recorded in a silent/dead place..... but this is a last-resort.
I find "free" Audacity is pretty good for background NR, but don't be greedy as it does make for some distortion. Something around 6dB can be a huge help.....esp. if you've done some "fixing" beforehand. Add curtains, sheets or similar help to reduce a room's reverberation; as will people in it. Improvements done at the Recording stage are much more valuable than anything done later.
If this room is to be used regularly, then each session will allow for improvements.

I don't quite understand the "Surrey Uni" and mention of "Company" - do you mean your non-connected company perhaps?
-OR- is it the Surrey Uni not wanting to being involved, which is probably a "blanket Ruling" after past experiences, etc.?
Either/Both is understandable.
Some may insist on a by-line stating no connection too!

Apart from that background noise - it's all OK ?

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部