The Record The Crystalume Caper

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:15:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hey All,
Permit me to introduce myself. I am JCAllison, 79, from Onalaska, Texas. Onalaska is 100 miles north of Houston, Texas, nestled in the World's Largest Forest of Pine Trees.

I am a musician/vusician, writer, artist, and inventor.

In 1967, I invented a Vusic (Visual Music) instrument called The Crystalume, which makes music that is seen. Anything that a music instrument can do to your mind through your eyes with sound, The Crystalume can do to your mind through your eyes with light.

It's not at all like the OLD Radio Shack Light Organs, but is an actual instrument that has to be played just as a music instrument has to be played. And just because one has a Crystalume doesn't mean that they know how to play it, any more than if one has a Guitar or Piano means that one knows how to play it.

Worked for many years on the Concert Tour Circuit as The AllisonWonderland Concert Lightshow.

In 1972, The AllisonWonderland produced a television show in Houston called "Sensatiation".

It was recorded on 2" Quad Tapes. Those tapes sat for all the years since 1972 in sealed cases in the closet. They were just recently restored, and converted to digital files and are now posted on YouTube.

After all those years, and since having the Quad Tapes restored, there has been some amount of interest generated, which has led me to decide to produce some more video of The Crystalume.

To that end have gotten out some OLD (actually ancient) Desktop Television Equipment, did some updating of it, and am just about ready to once again start making Crystalume videos.

My situation now is one of having to play "catch-up". Am needing answers, but have found that obtaining answers lies in asking proper questions. Alas, am finding that the proper questions terminology is unknown.

So for that reason, am hoping that if what is needed is accurately described, that the good people here can point me in the right direction.

Am not going to post any URLs out of concern that it might not be allowed, or that it might be taken as spamming. Am sure that once what is being attempted is understood, that it might be appropriate to let those who are interested see more of what has and what is being done.

Anyway, hope this finds you all doing well.

Take care.

JCAllison

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:15:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm not sure if you are asking for information but you will probably be interested in this anyway: The Quad Videotape Group | Preserving Tape, Equipment and the Knowledge to use them, in conjunction with the Library of Congress
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:15:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Mr. E,
Thanks for the very first response here. At this point, have not yet asked for information, but will be doing so probably later today.

Am VERY interested. Thanks for sending it along.

As mentioned previously, the six, half-hour "Sensatiation" programs were contained on four Scotch Quad Videotapes which had been sitting in the closet, sealed in their Cases since late 1972. Had not been motivated to do anything with them due to: 1. Not knowing where or what COULD be done with them; And 2. Not being able to AFFORD to do anything with them.

Then one day not long ago, a friend who knew about the Quad Videotapes' existence informed me of THIS:

Quad Tape Transfer

Got in touch by E-Mail with Larry Odham (a perfectly delightful fellow in Northeast Tennessee, USA), and found that not only could he restore the Quad Videotapes, by "baking" them, but could then digitize them and then transfer them to USB Flash Drives in: RAW format directly from the Quad Tapes (these are HUGE files (58GB or that may be 58 Gb)), but also in three other formats (MP4, AVS(?), and one other that escapes me at the moment), at a price that was affordable.

When the Sensatiation programs were produced, they were intended to be simulcast with K101 (KLOL) Radio in Houston, and thus had to be in stereo audio. This was done by having a fellow named Daniel Boon (no, honest!) who was a technician at KPFT (Fox 26 TV) in Houston, who was able to set up the Quad Video Decks to use the Audio Track on the Quad Tape for one channel of the Audio, and the Synch Track of the Quad Tape for the OTHER Audio Track. This seemed to work quite well, and wonder of wonders, when Larry Odham did his magic, the Audio came out in Stereo too.

So a first question here: Would it be all right to: 1. Post the URL here referencing the YouTube Sensatiation Videos?  2. Post the URL to "If Silence Is Black", which is The AllisonWonderland Concert Lightshow WebPage, and is the analogizing of Light and Sound in General, and Vusic and Music in Particular? It also contains information about The Crystalume.

Anyway, it's time here in the forest to do the morning chores, and get on with the day. Again, thanks for the response. Hope this finds YOU doing well, and taking excellent care.

JC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:15:16 Mobile | Show all posts
As long as there is no commercial side to the video then you are free to post them here for us to view. But if any part of them makes you money then unfortunately you are not allowed to post them unless you pay to be a forum sponsor.

The forum rules are linked at the bottom of every page (which as a new member you have memorised them fully already ), but if you need a little reminder then have a look at them here (specifically rule 7) - Terms & Rules

Mark.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:15:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Mr. ME19,
There is no "commercial side" to the YouTube Videos, or the ISIB WebPage.

Back in 1972, the Sensatiation program was cosponsored by Record Companies and a Record Store. All the commercials have been edited out.

Did this. Actually hadn't memorized them, but will keep at it till it gets done. In the meantime, here is the URL for the Sensatiation Play List.

Oh oh.... This didn't bring up the Sensatiation Play List, and I don't know why not, or how to fix it. So let me put up the URL to a single selection and see if it will work. This is "Carry On" by Badfinger.

Here is a URL containing the Press Release announcing the debut of Sensatiation in the Houston Post Newspaper. This is Kenan Doyle Branam's WebPage. Kenan passed away some time ago.

Video PRODUCER Media Consultant, Speaker, Presenter, Lectures, Seminars, Articles, and Publications  - Branam.com -  Kenan Doyle Branam, Digital Media Communication Consultant - Producer - Houston, Texas

Because the program was a promotional tool for Record Companies, there are some rather IFFY Music selections that were used, but there are also some Rock Classics in the collection. Would recommend SENSEG28 (most highly produced), and SENSEG17 (my favorite).

Here is the URL for the "If Silence is Black" WebPage.

IF SILENCE IS BLACK

BTW, the JPG of JCAllison is from 1972. Alas, I don't look like that anymore. Also, if you scroll down the linked pages to "CRYSTALUME", there are a couple of JPGs of the instrument. Presently that are three Crystalumes in existence. One of the other two belongs to Kent Skinner in Dallas, Texas, and the other one belongs to Jeane Z. Champion in Atlanta, Georgia.

In the meantime, am in the process of putting together a list of the equipment here that will hopefully make it possible to once again record The Crystalume. Will post that list for reference when questions are asked.

Anyway MarkE, thanks for the enlightenment on what is allowed. It is much appreciated.

Take care.

JC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:15:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey All,
Have finally gotten caught up around here, and can take some time to ask some very specific questions.

First: Would like to be able to narrate while recording The Crystalume making the images of the narrative. To this end, have searched for a suitable Microphone. Have found the term: "Head Worn" Microphone. In searching for a suitable (and affordable) Head Worn Microphone, the question has arisen: What kind of connector does one need to have for the Microphone to go into the Camcorder? Knowing that this depends on the Camcorder.

The Camcorder here is a Panasonic AG-DVC10P (As previously mentioned, some of this equipment is pretty old, but it's what is here).

On Page 8 of the Camcorder's Operating Instruction, Listing 15 says:
Microphone Jack [EXT MIC] To connect an external microphone or audio equipment. (Connecting to this jack deactivates the built-in microphone)
Jack: Phone-type
Impedance: Less than 4.7 kohm
Type: Stereo (When connecting a mono microphone, no sound is recorded on the right channel)
Sensitivity: Approx.-50dB
Power Source for Microphone: Not available.

Question: Where to get a Microphone that meets these requirements? In researching this, have found some wireless units. Am not sure that they are affordable though. What is desired is to find a specific Unit, and then more searching can be done to find Units equivalent to it from which to choose.

Second: Is there a way to ALSO record Music while recording the visuals from The Crystalume, and while narrating into the Head Worn Microphone? Don't even know if THIS is possible.

Third: Is there a way to "Multi-Track" The Crystalume images. When we did the Sensatiation TV Programs, we "ping-ponged" to get multiple images onto the Quad Tapes. That was back then. Has going digital made the multi-tracking of Video like multi-tracking of Audio?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information. If there are questions concerning any of this, will promptly respond.

Hope you all are well.

JC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:15:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Microphone:- Try an electret condenser mic. These usually have their own battery.
What is the external mic socket, is it a 3.5mm socket?

You need a video editor for both your second and third questions. Music and voiceover normally have their own timelines. (Example VideoStudio can have a voiceover timeline and four music timelines) Audio Ducking reduces the music volume automatically when you speak in the voiceover.

Overlay tracks with transparency can add multiple images if used with care. I use the overlay for ghost effects.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:15:18 Mobile | Show all posts
To record several different audio tracks you will need a multi-channel audio recorder. The more tracks you want to record the more it will cost. An 8 track recorder is fairly affordable, but 16  channels gets more expensive
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEGS5NI/ref=dp_cerb_1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LME6KBQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wirerealm-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00LME6KBQ&linkId=18b30f96e4b7dacf71dc47139e2b5ea7

Record to the external device and leave the camcorder mic to record so you have something to sync to later. Then add the camcorder video & audio plus the multiple audio tracks into the video editor (as mentioned by Terfyn above). Sync them together and edit as required.
If you have more than 1 camcorder you can also add them to the editing and mix between the different video tracks.

So what you want to do is possible, but it can get a little expensive buying all the things you need. But with a bit of luck you could beg, borrow or steal some equipment to help reduce the cost.

Mark.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:15:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Mr. T,
All right, that's a start. Will use those terms in my search/research.

I don't know just by looking at the socket, and the Operating Instructions merely calls it a "Phone-type". But just now sorted through some Cables, and found a cable that fit into the Panasonic Camcorder's Mic Socket. So taking your clue, Googled "3.5mm Phone Jack Image", and sure enough! The Connector IS a 3.5mm. This is what was meant when it was previously mentioned that I didn't even know that for which to ask.

At this point, there is Windows Movie Maker 6.0 in the DTV Computer which is running Windows 7. Also have an OLD version of Adobe Premiere on a CD. That is the result of many years ago, an attempt was made to set up a Desktop Television System, but was aborted after acquiring some amount of equipment, due to a serious health issue. That episode resulted in the acquisition of the Panasonic Camcorder.

All right. BUT, what is here being attempted is not THAT kind of thing.

Permit an explanation of what I'm attempting: The way that the light is handled in The Crystalume is with what are called "Arrays", which are assemblages of Crystals, Lenses, Free-form pieces of Glass, and etc., which are placed in the light beam. The Array produces a variety of images, that are facile, and that are able to move when the Array is manipulated.

Am going to try something here. I see that there is a way to "Upload a File". Am going to attempt to upload a JPG of a couple of The Crystalume Arrays:

HEY! It worked! These two Arrays are "Spinners". They produce an image that "spins" without have to actually spin the Array.

And here is one of these Arrays with a Color Insert in place, held up to the Sun to make the JPG:

Could explain how this Array is used to make the image spin, but let's leave that for later.

What is being worked on is an Array that has been dubbed a "Lumpit" (Lumia Puppet). It is an assemblage of Crystals, Lenses, and Free-form Glass pieces that produces an image that is a Face on a head that can nod, shake, tilt, turn, and etc., with Eyes that move, blink, widen, squint, look around, and etc. Also the Face has a Mouth that can move, smile, grimace, and etc. This image can change shape, color, brightness, and all-in-all is quite attractive, and somewhat "alien". Am envisioning being able to use the Lumpit as a ventriloquist uses a Puppet to talk, sing, and etc.

So with that said, here is what is desired: To have a Music Track that plays, onto the Right and Left Channels of the MiniDV Cassette, with which the Lumpit moves in time, along with my voice being simultaneously recorded with the Music, while the Lumpit's Head, Eyes, and Mouth is moved making the Video of the Lumpit looking like it is doing the talking/singing.

So some amount of discussion is going to be needed to see how this overlaying of tracks is done.

Permit me to analogize what I want to do with the Video, to what I'm able to do with the Audio.

I happen to have a Music Production System that uses an M-Audio Delta 1010LT Audio Card, and Cakewalk Home Studio Producer Software. Also have a complete MIDI, and Concert Sound System set-up. The Music that I plan to use will be complete BEFORE attempting to make the Video.

With this set-up am able to multi-track each instrument in what used to be called "simul-sync" (I have a OLD TEAC 3340 Simul-Sync, Four Track Tape Deck that went through a fire that destroyed almost all of the AllisonWonderland equipment in 1981. It is not functional), so that when the Audio is played back, it is a complete piece of Music.

Is there any equivalent to THAT kind of system in the Video?

I can see how that would be done.

I remember back when we were making the Sensatiation Programs that we could put more than one image on a tape, but none of the images were 100% like they would be if they were the only image on the tape. What I'm hoping to find is a TRUE Video Multi-Tracking ability that would be the Video equivalent of the Multi-Tracking ability of the Audio.

Anyway Mr. T,, thanks for the response. Am off to see if an Electret Mic with a 3.5mm Jack can be found.  Hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care.

JC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:15:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Mr. ME19,
I have given you the wrong impression about recording the audio. As was mention to Mr Terfyn, the Multi-Track Audio System is already here. What I AM wanting to do is to use a "stereo line-in" into the Panasonic Camcorder while also putting a LIVE vocal track into Panasonic Camcorder. And just as I'm sitting here, the though comes, wouldn't that just take a mixer to do?

Not sure that I understand this.

I see what you mean. But that is not what I'm trying to do. The Audio (Music) is like a background or accompaniment to the vocal part of the Audio, that is done live WHILE playing and recording The Crystalume. It is a like a "live" performance. Sort of like (if you'll excuse the expression), Video Karaoky, with the Lumpit doing the singing. Want the vocal to be "live", not pre-recorded. Want the vocal to be extemporaneous.

Have only the Panasonic DVC10, but can visualize what you mean.

It already HAS gotten to be expensive, but the acquisition of everything has taken literally decades to collect so the expense has been spread out over time. With the speed that the technology advances, much of the stuff here is obsolete, BUT it still does what it does. Obsolescence is just one of the constraints with which I have to work.

Since Mr. T. opened the door to "The Great Microphone Mystery" with his 3.5mm revelation, have already looked at some of the Mics available. Wide range of prices. BTW, there is already a SM58 here that is used with the Cakewalk Home Studio Producer/MIDI system. The problem with it is that it is BIG, and wouldn't work if used while playing The Crystalume. REALLY need a Head Worn type Mic.

Anyway, thanks for the response. With access to the kind of help you all are able to allow, we're going to be getting up to speed with this project. Have just earlier today ordered a NEW Crystalume Screen, as one of the Felines here had torn a hole in the OLD Screen. So for now, it's onward through the fog.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

JC

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部