Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Need some advice

I'm thinking of purchasing homeplugs to extend my Internet connection upstairs
I want them in two separate rooms upstairs
Do I need two purchase two sets or can you buy a set of three?
Is what I want even possible?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:18 Mobile | Show all posts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0055Y6PUA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1

This device worked fine for me... at last, a plug and play device for my requirements. They were easy to set up - basically plugged one in the kitchen and set up using my iPhone. Then plugged another one upstairs on the landing - getting full wi-fi signal in the kitchen and all my bedrooms. Main router is in a groundfloor study.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:27:18 Mobile | Show all posts
You can buy sets of three such as this

But you can get a set of 2 for about £25.00 (so you could buy to sets and have a spare/another for a future device)

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:27:19 Mobile | Show all posts
These are good products I got one from ebay a little while back.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I have some questions regarding Powerline Adapters:

1. Is it possible to get the Cable Internet to work using this method?:

Cable Modem and Powerline Adapter (both are in the basement) > 4 port Ethernet Switch (also in the basement) > Powerline Adapter and a Cisco Linksys E1200 Wireless Router (both are on the first floor)

2. Is there any firmware update for the 500 Mbps Actiontec brand Powerline Adapter? If so, how do I apply it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:21 Mobile | Show all posts
What else is plugged into your switch?

Are you trying to use the HomePlugs to deliver any local LAN traffic, or is it exclusively to link the modem to your router?

A router is used to join networks together, separating everything connected to the "LAN" ports and wi-fi connected devices ("internal" network) from everything "upstream" of the WAN port which is a separate "external" network (in SOHO, effectively the rest of the world.)

The Homeplugs all talk to each other over the mains and thus participate in one network. So you can have your HomePlug "backplane" (mains) network as part of your "internal" network OR your "external" network, but not both at the same time (unless there are HomePlugs that you can bind up into "separate" networks somehow, but AFAIK this isn't how they work.)

So you coud do something like this...

Cable Modem---Powerline Adapter~~~Powerline Adapter---[WAN]Router[LAN]---everything else.

...but in such a config you coudn't use HomePlugs for any LAN traffic.

Why do you need you router (physically) where it is?

It would be better to do something like this...

Cable Modem---[WAN]Router[LAN]---Powerline Adapter~~~Powerline Adapter---everything else.

(Switch could remain in basement also if router doesn't avail anough LAN port)

...and add an additional Wi-fi Access Point at the first floor location if the reason for having the router there is to avail wi-fi.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:22 Mobile | Show all posts
1. Nothing else.

2. I'm just wanting to forward the internet upstairs so it can be forwarded back downstairs and upstairs to the 2nd floor along with any wireless clients.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think that will work as you are trying. As discussed, I think your HomePlugs need participate in either your "internal" network or your "external" network, but they cannot be involved in both at the same time.

I'd suggest you move your router down to the basement with the modem, extend the LAN over the mains using HomePlugs to the other floor(s) and deploy additional switches to add ethernet ports  and Wi-fi Access Point(s) on the other floors as needed to beef up the wi-fi coverage.

I'm not sure what purpose the switch in the basement is serving if nothing is plugged into it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:24 Mobile | Show all posts
I meant to type that nothing else besides the Powerline Adapter and the Cable Modem would be plugged into the switch.

Also, I have more questions:

1. Could I just tighten the wires in the outlets that the Powerline Adapters are plugged in and get some improvement in their speed?

2. What does it mean when the Power LED (of the Actiontec 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter) is a solid amber color or flashing between amber and green?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:27:25 Mobile | Show all posts
The utility that came with my homeplug 500 is stating 180mbs up /down, but I don't seem to be getting that constantly, since XBMC needs to buffer regularly whilst watching bluray ripped MKV's, which is annoying to say the least.

I have read that you can improve the data stability by putting cheap mains filters on 'noisy' products.  Any idea if this works and if so, what is likely to be causing the noise.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部