12Next
Back New
View: 517|Reply: 10

Original Vive discontinued

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:28:16 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Original HTC Vive 'Coming Out Of The Market' With Cosmos Launch

The OG Vive is out (as expected I guess) and the Cosmos is in. Vive Pro still being supported.

I wonder how long they'll still provide v1 lighthouse spares, controllers and cables?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:28:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Makes sense. Who would buy a vive V1 over a cosmos. Those who want it still have lighthouse options..... On high end devices
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:28:18 Mobile | Show all posts
If you intend to use the Cosmos with lighthouse tracking, it starts to look more expensive than a Vive Pro I suspect since you'd ditch the inside-out controllers and buy the rest of the lighthouse infrastructure. May as well just go the Index route in that case!

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:28:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Is it just a legacy option for those who already have the Lighthouse stuff?

It seems to be a sensible feature.

I'd have thought about buying a Rift S if they'd supported tracking using the sensors that I already have.

I still enjoy SportsbarVR for the pool and surely sooner or later a decent snooker VR game will show up. I'm not sure the inbuilt tracking will support the cueing arm so there's no point in me switching yet.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:28:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I was looking at it from htcs perspective. If you want light house get a Vive pro if not get a cosmos.

I truly do not see the point in the lighthouse upgrade for the cosmos not when it turns your controllers into paper weightd

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:28:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Could you imagine if Oculus did this...……… The uproar, oh wait lol

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:28:22 Mobile | Show all posts
To be fair I wish oculus would do that HTC are still offering 2 devices one medium end one and a "premium" one

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:28:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes but both at a premium price.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:28:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Not really..
I would say 1 medium price (Cosmos)
and 1 premium price (vive pro which needs lighthouse and knuckles)

(of course there is the pro-eye or what ever it is called as well as wireless adapters).

What they dont offer is an entry level device at the cost of the RiftS ... but honestly I do not see how HTC can pull that off... if they tried it imo it would end up being way worse than the rift S as HTC do not have a massive VR store front backing them up which would allow them to make little if any profit on the hmd.

(last i heard viveport use is tiny compared to oculus store)

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:28:23 Mobile | Show all posts
The Cosmos feels too expensive for what it is imo. It's only $100 cheaper than the original Vive on release. Plus to bring it to a Vive/Index level of tracking requires yet more expensive bolt-ons and purchase of controllers and lighthouses. But I guess the price reflects the flexibility perhaps. If it had wireless built in, this would be a much easier proposition.

As for Viveport...would never use it personally.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部