12Next
Back New
View: 520|Reply: 19

Question about Field of View

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:30:43 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
It’s crazy, all of the spec comparisons between PSVR and Vive say that the Vive has a wider FOV than PSVR, but that’s simply not the case. A couple of years back I sold my PSVR to buy a Vive and I was a bit disappointed because the FOV felt so much more narrow than the PSVR. A few days ago I repurchased a PSVR and after using the Vive for a couple of years I can confirm that the PSVR does have the wider FOV. I’m not sure why the specs say otherwise. Any ideas?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:30:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Disappointed playing vive after playing psvr??
Well I gotta say that's a first!!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:30:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Not that I was disappointed with the Vive itself, I just expected a wider field of view because of what I’d read about it. No doubt the Vive is better than PSVR in many ways, but I think they both have strengths in different areas. For comfort, optics, and a game centric platform (meaning Sony seems to embrace quality over quantity as opposed to all the shovelware on Steam), PSVR is second to none. That being said, the tracking and roomscale experience on Vive can’t be beat.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Most sites seem to claim 110 degrees for the Vive but only 100 degrees for the PSVR. Of course numbers mean nothing to the user experience but there should be a better FOV experience in the Vive.

Are you getting the lens close to your eyes? Do you wear glasses in your HMD?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:30:47 Mobile | Show all posts
And then there's the diagonal vs horizontal argument. Never sure which one they're quoting these days.

As a Pimax owner, the FOV wow-factor wore off very quickly due to the headset's other drawbacks (for me the LCD panel just didn't pop like OLED). Gone back to the Vive (now Pro) and still loving it in spite of its narrower FOV.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:30:48 Mobile | Show all posts
For me it seems FOV is what creates the sense of immersion. I’ve actually looked at the Pimax as a possible future investment but yeah it doesn’t seem as polished as the others. I would love to try one tho to see the wide FOV

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:30:49 Mobile | Show all posts
I do wear glasses but I’ve got the setting on my Vive as close as it will go. I’ve even messed with the IPD and that seems to widen the FOV a bit but there’s a point where the lenses get too far apart which makes you feel like you’re cross eyed. I’m still experimenting with it especially now that I can directly compare it with the PSVR

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Unfortunately there isn't an industry standard way of measuring the FOV yet because it depends on the size and shape of your head and face.

The FOV of the Rift S is supposed to be the same as the FOV of the Rift but I've found it to be larger myself, and instead of appearing to be looking through swimming goggles it's more like a scuba mask.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the release of the CV2 with 140 degrees FOV in the same form factor as the original Rift.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:30:51 Mobile | Show all posts
if you are talking the half dome i hope you are right and it is still on the cards...... I am beginning to worry it is just one of many abandoned prototypes which went the way of Brendan Iribe.
if nothing else iirc half dome still used outside in tracking.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:52 Mobile | Show all posts
We'll see the Half Dome prototype being released in 2022 I think, but with inside out tracking instead of sensors.

They COULD have released the CV2 this year but it would be around a grand to buy I would have thought, or maybe more than that if they went for 4K displays.

Oculus have made the right decision I think by releasing the Rift S instead.

What the industry needs is more headsets on heads and you won't get that so much with the Pimax and Valve headsets.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部