Back New
Author: jeremyc311709

Question about Field of View

[Copy link]
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:30:52 Mobile | Show all posts
CV2?  Is that like Rift2? When is that scheduled to be released?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:30:53 Mobile | Show all posts
it isnt.
12 months or so ago (christ or was it more?) oculus demoed a prototype with 140 degree fov, high res panels and screens which moved forwards and backwards depending on where you focussed your eye (it also supported foveated rendering).
the latter was not finished yet so no way that was ready for prime time but technically the rest was all feasible.  this was in a package the same size as the rift CV1.
oculus were clear however this was a development prototype.

since then the guy behind it has quit, with speculation being because oculus were not interested in pushing the high end and going instead for the riftS.  

i think that about sums up the state of play.

oculus have the runtime, the software and the technical skills to release a headset which could easily go toe to toe with the valve index imo.... (and beat it in some areas) and i dare say for a cheaper price, but oculus at the moment are focussing on bringing the cost of entry down rather than pushing the envelope.  its a sensible decision imo.. enthusiasts alone wont keep vr alive...

but as I *am* an enthusiast i would much rather they release the rift S for £399 and a rift X for say £599 or £699

but i aint oculus and it aint my money on the line.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:53 Mobile | Show all posts
My guess would be 2022.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:30:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree there needs to be more people experiencing true VR. And when I say true VR I’m not talking about cell phone “VR”, which is detrimental to the VR industry because it gives first timers the wrong impression. I think it’s wonderful what Oculus is doing with the Quest. It makes true VR with 6 degrees of movement more accessible to the masses. I’m convinced that the naysayers and those that call it a gimmick would change their minds if they tried it on something more than a cell phone.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:55 Mobile | Show all posts
its all subjective based on people's heads and how they fit and where ur eyes are.
i also found the psvr FOV was better than the CV1 Rifts.
I think its still quite hard to standardise all this.

don't bet on oculus bringing anything new to the table.
valve won't budge either.

only hope for a higher fidelity headset is htc lol.. who everyone hates.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think everyone hates HTC. They make pretty good products. Their customer service on the other hand is unbelievably bad.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I always loved their phones but 10 years or so ago they went crazy with their prices, same as they have done with their VR headsets.

If they had priced the HTC Cosmos under $600 they would sell a few of them but at $699 it's just too expensive. I can't see it doing too well at all.

Plus you've also got to consider the tracking and how much they're going to improve it after it launches. They can't even begin to compete with Oculus' Machine Learning. Having an extra camera might do it a few favours but I can't see it being as good as the Rift S.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Everything you’re saying is true.

Oculus have a clear advantage with inside out tracking and are the only company I can see making it near flawless.

I still think the cosmos could compete with the index.

The rift s is just a flawed device. The audio sucks and ergonomically it looks inferior to the cosmos but the price and software support makes it hard for htc to target.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:30:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I think the rift S is great for what it is. An affordable reasonably high end VR device which imo blows all windows MR devices out of the water.
I would not change Rift S personally and indeed I have a feeling their could be room for a price cut (though that depends on the deal with Lenovo . If oculus paid Lenovo to build it then I think we will see a cut soon, if like HTC and the Vive Lenovo need to make a profit on it then maybe not.

All that is lacking from oculus I'd a higher end device to supplement the Rift S.

Personally I would love to see a hybrid device from oculus a bit like the Cosmos. (HTC are making a really interesting device imo).... But if not then a Rift X would still make me happy.

(I actually think it is only a matter of time before the Rift line goes and we just have the option of  a quest officially plugging either wired or wireless into a PC. Bit perhaps we are not there yet. This is one way oculus can go all in with mobile VR which is surely what Facebook and Carmack want but still keeping pc users happy. )

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:30:58 Mobile | Show all posts
i need:

higher fov
if possible return to oled but prepared to give up one it if SDE becomes a thing of the past
wireless
higher resolution if not oled
sound

then im happy.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部