12345Next
Back New
View: 1091|Reply: 47

Nate Mitchell has left oculus

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:31:41 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
No drama or anything, just to be with family.

I dont blame him, Oculus will have made him sorted for life and family should come 1st. I know i would quit if i were him!.

But imo he is just one of those people who comes across really well. He is hard not to like and his enthusiasm is infectious.

A loss to Oculus for sure.

Thanks for believing in the impossible : oculus

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:31:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Think he was the last Oculus Founder left.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:31:43 Mobile | Show all posts
It’s the end I say the end!

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:31:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes he was the last of the 1st to go..... it is not the end of the rift and I am an not doom mongering or anything ...... but am definitely dissapointed to see him leave.

now, if Carmack left, that would suck monkey balls. I reckon he is a large reason why I think oculus run time is better than steamVR.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:31:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Carmacks the reason Oculus never released CV2.

When Jason Rubin joined Oculus Nate got squeezed out.

I predicted in the Oculus Forums Predictions thread Nate would be gone by the end of 2018. Ok it took another 8 months but I wasn't far off.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:31:43 Mobile | Show all posts
lets be honest.....  all of the original founders were made insanely rich.  I imagine long term without a need to work, the risk of any person leaving is high.... esp a family man like Nate appears to be.

Whilst PL was likely forced out due to his "unsavoury" political views reflecting badly on the company (in Facebooks view)

and I wont argue that Jason Rubin (edit whoops I meant Brendan Iribe) likely did feel forced out due to oculus prioritising affordable VR aimed at mass market over cutting edge high end....

I dont think (at least not yet) there is anything to think this is anything other than a completely amicable choice for a member of staff to move on.   Maybe he will be back one day.... though i doubt it at Oculus.
When you have the amount of money he does, i imagine it would be more fun to help bankroll a much smaller company where you can make more of a mark.

Carmack has always vocally said his interest is in unteathered mobile VR... and in the long term that vision is the way it will go... but to say he is the reason why CV2 isnt out *yet* is too strong.
So what if he wants to spend his time on lower end mobile VR. it still benefits PC VR because those optimisations, vital for mobile VR are still beneficial even at higher end.

it took years for valve to come close to ASW 1.0 (and my mates with a vive - i cant speak personally - still says it is not as good).... and oculus are now onto ASW 2.0.

I *hope* it is teething troubles and it is an extreme example but look at Dirt2 SteamVR vs oculus. This is an extreme example and will likely improve however in every direct comparison i have done, native oculus performs better than steamVR, and that i put down to more efficient software running the hmds.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:31:44 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you’re getting confused between Jason Rubin’s who is still at Facebook and Brendon Iribe who quit when Oculus dropped plans for CV2 in favour of the Lenovo RiftS.

Zuckerberg is even more rich and he’s still at Facebook. I just don’t buy these excuses when some one leaves a job because they’re too rich to care.

What did Nate actually do at Oculus? He was just a spare wheel left over from the buy out. He lasted this long because he was a nice guy.

I don’t know what ASW has to do with this thread I think you went of on a tangent there.

Of course native support works best with the native headset. Index on Steam is going to work better than RiftS on Steam. I’ve played several games using Revive and ASW never enters my mind. It’s a red herring as far as I’m concerned.

The biggest games are coming to Steam, NMS is proof of that.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:31:44 Mobile | Show all posts
AHH yes  sorry got my name's confused.  Sorry

I was talking about native support on CV1 Vs native support on vive when compared directly btw
ASW is afaik carmacks brain child and so is precisely on point to my view that why I would be more disappointed if carmack left over Nate M (even though I will miss Nate's interviews)

Index I can't comment on as I don't have one but it uses the same runtime as vive so.........
When it works properly (it doesnt in all apps) ASW is not a red herring and ASW2 again when supported Is better still

Btw no one made excuses about being too rich to care. I made a hypothesis but end of the day no one needs an excuse to quit their job and go travelling around the world with family. I wish I could!!!

Use magic Report

Oh I think I missed that.

Which account were you using at the time?!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not the one I’m using now haha!

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New