Author: vorn182

Microsoft Band

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Bought a Band yesterday, from 02. I've had it for about 24 hours and I thought I'd write down some of my initial thoughts, not a full review.

The short version:

I love it.  I can't see myself going back to a normal watch.

The longer version:

I've been intrigued by the Apple watch but not '1st generation, £00's intrigued'.  The more reviews I read, the more I saw how a wearable could work for me (that's the key bit), particularly around notifications.  I am the sort who feels compelled to check my phone whenever it buzzes and thought being able to screen them on my wrist would be cool but wasn't sure if it would make a difference to just whipping out the phone.  So, reviews were read ad nauseam and off I went to buy one.

Fit is absolutely fine, I do keep mine screen down but just feels like a slightly tighter watch (which I have always worn) - I can see how it may take some getting used to but the levels of discomfort expressed by many reviews does puzzle me a little. Build quality good. Syncing with iPhone very easy after downloading the Microsoft Health app.

Notifications come through flawlessly and there has not been one dropout since connected to my phone yesterday afternoon.  As I keep a fairly tight control of what can display notifications on the phone, this means I haven't been bombarded with buzzes on my wrist all the time.  But what I love is the fact that I can screen the notifications and make a mental note to either dismiss it or act on it.  Perfect example was that I was cooking dinner and the band buzzed a few times.  Without taking out my phone, I was able to dismiss non-urgent emails and note that I had a text from my wife which I got to later - seems a small thing but the sheer ease with which I mentally dealt with the notifications was great; it was seamless and allowed me to carry on with my own stuff.  A phone call came through from someone later - I didn't want to take it and dismissed it straight away.

I'm sure many people would just shrug their shoulders and say that they could do the same on the phone and that's absolutely true but, for me (see a pattern?!), it was brilliant.

I did the sleep tracking last night which was instructive and aim to do a workout with it tonight.  Can't wait to see how it performs.

Downsides so far:

No fault of the Band but I wish I could reply to texts etc and set reminders etc  - I'm hoping that if Cortana does eventually come out on iOS, this may be enabled but not holding my breath.  

Most significantly, my very brief experience of the Band has made me 'get' the Apple watch - notifications, directions, Siri/dictation on my wrist - within the last 24 hours, I've thought 'Hm, the apple watch could take a call/set a reminder/reply to a text'.  Still not sold on Apple watch entirely but I can't see me being without a wearable from now on and that's due to an impressive showing from my Band. So, well done Microsoft, my biggest problem now is what to do with my rather expensive 'dumb' watches. First World problems, eh?

If your usage scenarios may be like mine, I'd highly recommend it - even better if you have a Windows phone.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Glad you're enjoying your Band! A few comments, on your comments (I've had mine since release day in the UK)

I too, find it strange that so many seem to complain about the comfort... I literally have no issue with it what-so-ever. In fact, my regular watch feels weird now!

One thing I didn't find easy though, unlike you, was syncing with the iPhone to begin with... was an absolute nightmare for me! It took hours to get them fully talking and updated. Just kept crashing and rebooting all the time. Even now, it regularly disconnects throughout the day, which is probably the most frustrating part of ownership for me.

I don't see the point in dismissing, as it doesn't do anything on the iPhone. So you still have to act again... I've learnt to just have a quick glance and not actually tap the Band at all. Really hope they include this option in the future. Messaging is one of my favourite aspects though, so easy to just glance and use the action button when I do want to read it (although again, another feature I hope they add is the ability to read the whole message rather than just part of it)

The sleep tracking etc. is indeed great. Have you looked at the website? Far more information than on the iPhone... worth logging in! After a while it becomes a bit pointless, but it's nice to see anyway.

Don't think the API's are there for allowing Cortana to properly take advantage on the iPhone... but you never know what the future holds I guess.

My dumb watches are exclusively used for 'nights out' now which makes them feel special again

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I thought it does display all the text message?  Or is it limited to a certain size?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Nope, only a certain amount of characters. It's the same regardless of whether it's a text, email, Skype etc. it'll eventually just go '...' and that's all you get!

Another annoyance I've just noticed today is that on the iPhone's default Mail app, it comes through on the Band as an email. But when you configure Outlook on the iPhone, it just comes through as a third party message. Doesn't matter too much, but you think they'd get that working seeing as though it's Microsoft to Microsoft!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:56 Mobile | Show all posts
i got mine last week, primarily for the golf app but only got to try it yesterday as my course has not been mapped yet.

It was very good of it to tell me that i had shot a 65 but that was far from the case, apparently it got confused several times and kept scoring the wrong holes

It is a nice bit of kit though and im looking forward to someupdates to address a couple of little niggles

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:57 Mobile | Show all posts
This is big news for the Band!

Microsoft Band and Microsoft Health introduces Web Tiles and Microsoft Health Cloud APIs - Conversations: The Microsoft Devices blog

Already had a go at making my own app... got somewhere, but I didn't really know what I was doing lol. Will be interesting to see what people can come up with

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I am still getting used to mine, sometimes it's a little uncomfortable as the top of my arm feel like it is burning, but it is just where the charging plate has left an imprint on my arm. I don't think I have it too tight, it feels snug.

Liking the functionality, though I am yet to try it on my bike, or on the golf course. The sleep monitor is great. I think the idea for hydration notifications would be a good addition as a tile. Getting used to reading the time vertically, but so far happy with it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:44:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you tried wearing it on the inside? I was sure I was going to wear it on the outside but I gave up very quickly... much happier now comfortable and easier to read!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:45:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Inside from day one for me

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:45:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Think the only reason I've not put it on the inside is when I'm using a computer it taps on the table top, more like to scratch the screen. Do you guys take it off when using a computer?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部