View: 1269|Reply: 56

New Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:51:31 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
OK so the teasers have been out for a while and there's been a lot of speculation and discussion about these upcoming cameras but it finally looks as though we have something concrete about design and spec. On paper these two new mirrorless cameras look the business, but obviously we will have to see what performance is like. Can they match the mark 3 Sony A7's in terms of AF performance, will the EVF have any lag, will they be weather sealed etc etc time will tell.

I would expect on release they will be extremely expensive, I would guess around the £3-4k mark so well outside most people's price range, but as with all tech prices will come down eventually. Lens lineup will be poor to start so it's really important that the Z to F-mount adapter works VERY well, and there's no detectable drop in AF performance.

Interesting times for Nikon, I'm looking forward to seeing what this delivers.

A closer look at the Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless cameras | Nikon Rumors
The new Z-Nikkor mirrorless full frame lenses | Nikon Rumors
Another set of leaked Nikon Z6 and Nikon Z7 mirrorless camera pictures | Nikon Rumors
Breaking: the first leaked press photo of the Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless cameras | Nikon Rumors

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:51:32 Mobile | Show all posts
They can't price the Z6 at £3k can they?  If its true that its 273 AF points that definitely looks like an A7III competitor rather than an A9 competitor - maybe a bit of a premium because they think they can but surely they won't put it over £2.5k unless there is something very special about it?

Also the rumours on lenses are arguably a bit disappointing.  If the 24-70/4 is good then that is a great start - but I'm sure I saw 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 as the others which is a bit middle of the road even if the lens design is meant to be a bit unusual.  Will be interesting to see what they say about the roadmap.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:51:32 Mobile | Show all posts
My prices were only a guess, all speculation until they're released. The Z6 does look (on paper) to be an A7iii competitor but whether Nikon can bring it out at a similar price point is a tough ask.

I think Nikon's thinking behind the initial lenses is what would people like as a one lens walkabout setup. For some the 24-70mm range is ideal, for others the 35mm and 50mm primes the most preferred single lens option. I don't know if this is Nikon's thinking, but it's certainly mine. IF the adapter works pretty much flawlessly then you have a full lens lineup already, and may give Nikon more breathing space regarding which lenses to bring out.

It'll be a couple of years at least I'd have thought before I seriously consider this system. There's too many questions at this point, and it would need to mature a bit first.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:51:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, that is the real question here.  As I understand it, nobody has managed a decent adaptor for F to E mount on the Sonys - is that lack of effort because Canon has more volume, lack of ability because of proprietary Nikon know how or is F mount just inherently worse on an adaptor?

I guess we will see in the coming weeks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:51:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Nikon F-mount uses a mechanical lever to adjust the aperture, and some older lenses are screw drive. Canon and Sony are all electronic and therefore easier to adapt.

I don't fully understand why it is so difficult to adapt to the more mechanical Nikon though, at the end of the day its electronics that control the mechanical parts on the current mount so why you can't 'transfer' those electronics across an adapter I don't know

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It will be interesting to see how this works out.  Potentially lots of technical advantages but doesn’t look like reduced weight will be a big one?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:51:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I think mirrorless has to move away from using size as its trump card tbh, especially when we’re talking FF.

Can’t decide whether this latest post means only one card slot, or whether it’s just XQD plus SD as opposed to two XQDs. If it’s the former it’s a potential deal breaker and a major faux pas on behalf of Nikon imo.
Here is the bad news: both the Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless cameras will have only one XQD memory card slot | Nikon Rumors

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Looking at DPR it looks like one card slot as there is a lot of bitching about it.

Personally I think nikon needed to do a bit more with this to really establish themselves. I don't really care how the internals of a camera work as long as it does what I need well. There is nothing here that would make me want to buy these cameras over d850 or dare I say a Sony A7III. I am not in the market anyway but at the price point I think performance specs and Battery specs are below par and if you really want the smaller size of mirrorless the Sony models seem to offer more.

It is true though that the 55mm mount will allow the system to be very flexible and if the system is a success I am sure we'll see canon and other lens adapters soon enough

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:51:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Single card slot seems like a massive ball drop. Everyone has been bashing Sony for ages over it and then just as Sony go dual slot they come out with this.

Also the massive boast about low light potential - and then no autofocus lenses faster than 1.8 until 2020.

Pricing is better than expected but the adaptor better be really good.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:51:34 Mobile | Show all posts
One card slot, EPIC fail. Honestly, someone's been paid a shed load of money to make that decision, what the fudge

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部