Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
12Next
Back New
View: 911|Reply: 12

3rd Party Lens - false economy?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 07:01:03 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
When I replaced camera for a newer one I was annoyed to discover that my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 wasn't compatible when the Lens aberration correction feature was enabled. Not a big issue, as once disabled for that lens it would remember the setting and remain on for other lenses, and it can be corrected in LR anyway. I was able to carry on using it as normal.

But that's not all. It turns out that turning on live view and trying to take a photo is too much for it to take, and the camera spits out a big flashing red error and becomes unresponsive until the battery is removed and replaced. There's simply no way to use Live View with this camera/lens combo without sending the lens back to Sigma for an expensive firmware update - which isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue! Very annoying.

I believe it's to do with Sigma reverse engineering compatibility, rather than licensing it from Canon, which is partly how they keep prices so competitive. It's a false economy if you need to replace/update the lens every time you update your camera body!

Trying to decide if I should roll the dice with the firmware update, give up on live view with this lens, or sell it and replace with a native one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:01:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Is the lens not compatible with the Sigma USB dock? You can update fw that way if it is.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:01:05 Mobile | Show all posts
It is a pain, but that's the chance you take unfortunately and it's rare. However, as rancid said Sigma and Tamron are now trying to combat this with their dock which allows firmware updates (as well as other benefits such as AF tweaks) so all future lenses shouldn't have this issue (the sigma dock has now been out for a while now).

Out of interest how much do sigma charge for a firmware update?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 07:01:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Never had an actual issue with Sigma but did have a Nikon that point blank refused to work with said lens.  The AF would go nuts.  In the end Nikon did a firmware update on the camera model, D5300 by the way.

Always found Sigma to be brilliant value and great results

Ice

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:01:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Worth a punt for £20?
I believe you can return no questions asked but check first!

Used Sigma USB Dock - Sigma Fit

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 07:01:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Unfortunately it's a 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, which is the generation before the Art lens and USB docking goodness. Which is sad for me. But glad to see it's no longer a problem with current lenses.

Use magic Report

I'm glad you asked this as I double checked to see if the £180 figure I recalled was right. It wasn't

At £95 ( del), it's still not exactly a bargain though!

Use magic Report

The lens has always performed brilliantly, which is why I was so bummed to discover the problem. The USB Dock solution seems to be a great idea too.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 07:01:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Sadly a no-go for my ageing lens.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:01:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Well if it works ok on an earlier body I would probably sell it on and look for a replacement 50mm. I don’t know much about Canon lenses but I believe you can pick up a nifty fifty for not much more than the possible firmware cost - and it would definitely work.
Check out Camera Jungle and MPB for a trade in deal?

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部