12Next
Back New
View: 587|Reply: 16

Rome for a weekend any tips

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 22:18:34 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Should I buy the Rome pass, coliseum, Vatican and Trevi Fountain at top of the the list, any tips to avoid queues, places to eat. Goin first weekend in August early Friday to late Sunday night.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:18:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Treva Fountain is always busy, but worth seeing. The city of Rome is just incredible IMO
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I haven't been to Rome (in my hit-list of places to visit) so can't offering location advice, but....

Not wishing to put a dampener on your holiday, but please be very careful.
Some friends of mine have just returned after long weekend there having been mugged on day 1, but someone purporting to be a police officer (armed, plain clothes) searching bags and pockets "for drugs". Despite keeping a close eye on him, they subsequently discovered they were light by £130.
So, just keep you wits about you, and especially so where there are big crowds (which, in Rome, at the place you're probity thinking of visiting, there probably will be everywhere) for pick-pockets.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:37 Mobile | Show all posts
how many full days will you have there?
the queues are pretty bad if you have not prebooked but if you get there early enough you won't have too much of a wait
not sure the rome pass is worth it, how much are they looking for it?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:18:38 Mobile | Show all posts
It's a long time since I went, so I cant really help, but it's an amazing place and I hope to go back. I would just add to the advice above don't leave any valuables around your room if you drink in the hotel bar by giving them your room number. When you get back someone (probably a member of staff) may have been in and cleaned them out. I learned the hard way why there are so many second hand shops knocking about.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Take good walking foot wear, your need it.

Best European city for me, loved it.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
The pass is 28 euros for 48 hours or 38 for 72 hours, it doesn’t include the Vatican, so I’m thinking 21 Euro’s to book Vatican and 12 euros for coliseum, we will be there from midday Friday and fly back late on Sunday. Plan to do Vatican on Saturday, so I think coliseum on Sunday, Friday we will just walk around and take it all in trevi fountain etc

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
i would just book the tickets for vatican and colosseum on the official sites. make sure you get in the correct queue for people with pre-booked tickets, it's not always obvious as the queues can go past where the notice is!
the colosseum ticket will let you into the roman forum / palantine hill etc which you can spend another few hrs in. you wont be able to walk straight into the roman forum though, there will be a queue so allow half an hr for that too.

assuming you will be at the vatican in the morning you could easily walk round these sites after

St Peters Basilica
St Peters Square
Castel Sant'Angelo
Piazza de Popolo
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain
Pantheon
Piazza Navona

i found google maps useful as you can make an itinerary up
i enjoyed the baths of caracalla which is a short walk from the circo massimo Metro stop, i think its closed on sundays though

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:18:41 Mobile | Show all posts
lovely place, but I think there's more than enough to keep you occupied than the likes of the colleseum - unless you can get fasttracked in there - the queues are massive, and it's chocablock inside... I'd personally just roam the streets as there's loads to see

there are a couple of scams tho -
never eat / drink in cafes (there's a famous one there near some big museum, check youtube..) where they don't have a price list, as one guy and his mate got charged 60 euros for 2 soft drinks and 2 ready meals...
we went in some park and got accosted by some old roman soldiers who said they'd happily pose for photos, then wanted 10 euros each for the privilege...! we gave them half the amount which still amounted to 30 euros..!

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I see the Coliseum is free on the Sunday we are there, I guess we could get up really early or should I just book it?

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部