1234Next
Back New
Author: reiteration

Santorini

[Copy link]
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:25 Mobile | Show all posts
ok, we're back...

to quickly summarise...

it was hot -tho, got a bit breezy during the week which helped cool things down for us whilst walking around -

we stayed at a village called Karterados - which is about 15 minute walk from the capital of Fira and we stayed here -
Angel Studios Dahlia Collection, Karterados, Greece

while there are no doubt better areas etc - it's a great place and we were having breakfast outside every morning... - they have a fair few cats hanging around and I fell in love with a lovely ittle black female one who would come running to me... but then I've give her ham for breakfast

Fira in some ways is nicer that Oia - and there is an amazing walk from fira to Oia - we didn't do that, but opted to get the bus to Imerovigli and walk back and along the coast cliff...

the buses were decent too  -and a journey typically cost 1.80 euros for a single...tickets bought on the bus itself

we had some decent meals and could be had for about 30 euros with a drink...

we also went to Kamari which is a decent beach resort - but we opted to walk back to Pygros but ended up at Exo Gonia - but there seemed to be no bus to fira from there - so, had to walk to Pygros - and this is a stunning little place, really is...
had a nice chicken kebab -

and a few pints of mythos...but ended giving about 15 pieces of chicken to this little beaut... who could say no?

then a nice walk around... and whilst waiting for the bus - there was some guy wearing an orange hi viz jacket and telling people what to do - and blowing his whislt at a parked car etc...think he just had mental issues....!

we also did a sunset boat ride from fira (3:15pm) - went to the volcano, the to the hot springs for a swim, then stopped while we had some food and as much wine as we could drink - i had about 7 large glasses... then we saw the sunset - but sadly it was a bit cloudy...and had a guy playing some jazz music on a saxophone... hen  back for 9pm... I was well drunk... but then another evening as sunk a bottle of ouzo before going out for a meal...

this week it seemed fairly quiet (well, was expecting it to be very busy...) and it's a lovely place - well, worth it...but we spoke to another couple and said other islands (as they're island hopping) like naxos (and other I forget) are nicer...

but I'd happily go back to the same hotel again - but they may sell as the goverment are taxing them like mad and they're a busy hotel too (but not big)...and I'd happily go to fira over Oia - especially given the prices...and tghe sunset from there is just as good and quieter - as is the lighthouse down the south - but we never went there...
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:41:26 Mobile | Show all posts
That kebab looks absolutely delicious. How much was it haha. Sounds like there is plenty to do. My wife was on about the same boat trip you mentioned where some guy is playing a saxophone cruising into the sunset. How much was that and is there a specific one?

Out of interest, how much euros did you take or spend per day? I'd like to have more then enough for drinks, food, excursions etc. Although there's plenty of things to do free such as the walk which is number 1 on TripAdvisor.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:27 Mobile | Show all posts
yeah, it was less than 10 euros - and it's in the main square of pygros - can't miss it really...

Kantouni Traditional Cafe Restaurant - Καντούνι Παραδοσιακό Καφέ- Μεζέ

as for the cruise - we went onto the thalassa -
Santorini Sunset Cruise: A must-do experience in Greece

this was 62 euros each...the walk down to the harbour is some trek (the old port) but there is a cable car and that is 5 euros each person, each way... we booked via a small place along the main pedestriansed bit in fira - and they do a service that will take you to the new port (by bus) and get on the boat quicker...but think all the agents offer this (as it's the same boat) - we had planned to go on a bigger boat with a meal and no music for 65 (and as much wine as you can have) - but that was full and the agent said the smaller boat was nicer (and it looked it) and we were full on the snacks...

we didn't spend too much - we had a big breakfast and small bottles of water were generally 50-60cents...beer was more expensive the cloer you got to the sea views so from 2.5 euroes upto 5 euros... wine was expensive too...we saw a few little shops were you could get some for 6-7 euros - but in the supermarkets we saw the average seemed to be nearer 20 euros- and often above..! tho, can buy cans of beer for 1-2 euros in lots of shops and they have them cold in fridges, likewise we got a big bottle of ouzo for 8 euros.. but we had a meal and the house red was 7 euros for 1/2 litre...
things like icecreams were expensive - we'd get 2 scoops and that was typically 5-6 euros - but nice...

some restaurants can be expensive - on the main coastal route from fira to Oia - we saw a couple selling fish/seafood platters for 2-4 people for 225 euros...yep, that's right haha...
but at times we just snacked at a bakers for you could get a decent sized spinach pastys and chicken quiche and a couple of nice cakes for 10 euros, and you could get a small kebab with either pork or chicken with the salad, sauce and a handful of chips in pitta bread for 2.50...lovely snack...

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:28 Mobile | Show all posts
uploaded some pics too -

Santorini

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:41:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Great pics, that island looks stunning! Can't wait to go now! The boat trip i think is defo on the list, how long does it last? Any other things to do which you'd recommend? Prices in general seem reasonable and as you say, the more of a view you want or higher up the more it costs but i'm sure we'll figure that out early on and know where to go and average prices to pay so we don't get stung.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:30 Mobile | Show all posts
cheers... I only had a quick look before bed last night so think there maybe a few better pics to upload...

that boat trip lasted around 5 hours... 3:15pm - 9pm...and it seems less quiet than the other one and more relaxed too...

there are various beaches - but we don't tend to sit around all day (but did spend time at the hotel pool for a few hours getting drunk after the long walks we did...)

akrotiri was a nice little place too...

do you intend to hire a quad or car? - that could be useful...a lot of the roads seem fairly quiet - but fira was busy - especially along the main drag... but then we walked a lot (around the villages) and it's easy to miss things I think if you're on a quad riding around - as there are small lizards and lots of cats in the shades and as a cat lover I looked out for them all the time and saw lots... we carry around dry cat food that be bought from a shop and fed them as we went along - as a fair few people seemed to like the cats there, but not many fed them it seemed - as the hotel we were at - the owners went back to athens when the hotel closes (4 months?) and there's no one to look after them...
like that little beaut above - I must have given it around 15 pieces of chicken and it always came back for more...afterwards it was fast asleep and I went to stroke it - and it never woke from it's slumber...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:41:32 Mobile | Show all posts
@reiteration your right they are cute cats

Holiday sounds fab too.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:33 Mobile | Show all posts
thanks, the black ones were adorable... and yep, the holiday was spot on...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:41:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Bet you are ready for another holiday now,  I know I am. 2 and a bit weeks to wait.  Won't be cat there but there are Alpaca....  Hoping the weather improves a bit as we are heading for North Pennines soon.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:41:34 Mobile | Show all posts
yep, going away to holland in 4 weeks time too... just hope it;s warm and dry there...

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部