Back New
Author: sep8001

Master Socket Issue

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 23:13:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Just to confirm you take the phone and VDSL away from the master socket to the extension and plug the phone and modem/router in at the extension upstairs? If you don’t want to go VOIP and change alarm bTB capabilities to other technology, the next best speed would be to eradicate the phone/VDSL wiring in the house so the master socket is all you have. Plug a DECT phone base and the modem/router in the master socket and leave the filtered alarm where it is. Either run a wireless network as I suggested before or run cables for a wired network. Extensions with VDSL tend to affect synch speeds. The modem should be in socket 1 and other sockets disconnected for best results.  That means voice is at socket 1 too but nowadays that isn’t an issue for the vast majority.

Or have another phone line installed and move the alarm and phone upstairs onto that leaving VDSL on the master socket
By itself on the other line. Modem/router at the master socket and wired or wireless network. That would be ideal IMO since voice and alarm are totally separated onto the other pair and VDSL is at first and only socket where you will get best synch speed possible on the external copper to the node.

Are you able to have a second voice line installed with FTTC already connected in the UK (@EndlessWaves  @noiseboy72 ?)

Edit to be clear is the second pair left available externally to be used for a second line when they connect FTTC?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:13:09 Mobile | Show all posts
You can have a second line installed but that's another £130 a year, so not a cheap option. It'd be cheaper to move the master socket or replace the internal cabling with CAT 6.

I've never heard of the option of running two connections on the same cable.

@sep8001: How many wires are connected from the alarm and extension cables at the master socket?

Some installations have three per cable instead of two, the third one being the ring wire which is for compatibility with (very) old phones. It has been known to cause drops in broadband speed in situations where you can't use a filter on the master socket.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:13:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

Just pulled out the connection and it is as per the attached picture.

The connection up stairs has a dect phone plugged in. As a test I disconnected the phone and the router from the upstairs socket, plugged the router in the master socket and had the same speed as I get when I have a pc connected upstairs with the phone connected. All speed testing is being done with a wired computer/laptop.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions it is all very appreciated.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:13:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Phone lines have two pairs so I meant get a second line using the second pair. Seperate phone connections.

Certainly expensive - personally I would get rid of  POTS and change the alarm with FTTC. One socket with modem/router and wired or wireless network around the house. VOIP for calls or just mobiles.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:13:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Just to be clear - plugged into the master socket and not in the test socket? If so the actual extension cabling is likely pulling the speed down. If the speed is higher in the test socket the cables that are disconnected when you access that are pulling the speed down. You don’t need anything plugged in to extensions - they often affect speed on VDSL just by being there.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:13:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes into the master socket, I am getting between 35 and 40mbps, plugged into the test socket I get between 63-70.

I need to work from home next week, so next weekend I may try disconnecting the extension cable and see if it makes a different as the alarm is now going via a filter.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:13:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Update, had issues with router disconnecting and contacted the ISP. They got open reach out to check, who changed the master socket to the new MK4 version.

Router plugged into the master socket and I now get 63mbps.

Looked at a number of YT video and decided to split the extension to use data and voice separately. But either the extension cable going up is not of good quality or I have done something incorrectly as the BB speed connected to the extension dropped to 30mbps.

This is the video I used:

The wire going up stairs have 4 wires, but is not a cat cable.

So now have the router down stairs and working fine but have had to use homeplugs to connect the pc upstairs and the WiFi is not as good.

Based on leaving the router down stairs and not really want to drill holes to the the outside to run cat5 cables up not sure what other options there are to improve WiFi and get ethernet upstairs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:13:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Try these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRXJNMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to extend your current network upstairs. We have 1 to cover the wife's music studio and it provides stable and seamless wifi and 3 ethernet sockets to plug in a smart TV and games console that lives in there as well.

There's a good chance that your household wiring is just not up to scratch, as this is very common. Cheap telephone cable may not be correctly twisted and a kink or sharp corner anywhere on the run is enough to cause the speed to bomb.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部