View: 94|Reply: 0

An absorbing, multidimensional film experience

[Copy link]
4-12-2019 01:51:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I first saw Velvet Goldmine ten years ago. It is one of the few films that I faithfully keep coming back to. While the initial, back of the DVD synopsis/premise of Velvet Goldmine "Music reporter goes to investigate the whereabouts of a glam rock idol ten years after his fake death" sounds simple enough, the movie once you begin watching becomes so much more than that. The appeal of Velvet Goldmine lies in its multidimensionality-each frame is sumptiously layered with subtleties, references and allusions that absorb the unsuspecting viewer and throw him or her for a loop that slips (and trips) in and out of 'reality' and back. Repeat viewings definitely add to the film experience and help viewers catch all those subtleties and references..because, lets face it the first time viewer might get a little distracted by the films impeccable visual execution and lead stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Ewan McGregor and Christian Bale at the height of their sexy, youthful, pre-Hollywood prime. The fragmented, figurative language-laden parallel narratives of Velvet Goldmine challenge and stimulate the viewer while the dreamy, ethereal visuals and music offer moments of breathing space and beauty. I particularly like how the director leads the viewer through the Brian and Arthur (and even Curt) narratives and how the viewers impressions of these characters from the beginning of film change towards the end. Even though Velvet Goldmine eschews traditional character development the viewer still learns enough about Brian and Curt and gets to know Arthur, initially the perceived outsider rather well. Velvet Goldmine is not a straightforward glam rock biopic. It is part fanfiction, part fictionalized music mythology set in the context of 1970s glam rock era London. The combination songs written for the film and real music from the period therefore fits perfectly. As to the gay content-it is there but not as focal as some reviewers make it out to be.

score /10

Isobel_and_Eugene 4 August 2011

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2469173/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部