12345Next
Back New
View: 939|Reply: 49

BG VW Golf Mk II GTI 8v

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 22:44:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As some of you may know, I've bought an Volkswagen Golf Mk II GTI 8v. It is actually for my daughter to teach her how to drive as we don't own any manual gearbox cars. Well that is my man-maths excuse

As these cars are now around 30 years old, mine is 1987 registered (but 1988 model), I thought it was important to buy it primarily on body condition. We liked this original Helios blue color, it had to be a three door, and it was very original and clean.

But as much as we like it, there are always some snags with a vehicle. So we will modify it, but the objective is to keep it as much aligned with the original as we can.

The snag list;
Replace the wheels - the wheels are original, fairly rare, and got all the original metal wheel caps etc. But we don't like them.Upgrade the stereo - it has got some aftermarket Alpine unit with a mix-match of speakers, and an awful 'subwoofer' by Steelmate. It has to go and be upgraded.Detailing - the paintwork is original, in pretty good condition. But in dire need of a good clean so it is baby bottom smooth with a deep shine.Floot mats - horrible black with blue surround floormats are in there. They need to be replaced.Sound deadening/proofing - material is missing from the bonnet, boot, door panels and also the carpet (whilst in good condition) seems be on felt and straight onto the floorpan.Rattle from passenger side when going over speed bumps and holding the brake pedal.Dashboard lights are very dim.Rear seat pull rods are broken.Heather/Blower flow is inconsistent in places.Dashboard speaker mounts are broken.Slight whine from the alternatorHeated washer nozzles are disconnectedWindscreen washer is not squirtingCover on board computer is loose and rattling in engine bayPassenger seat is wobblySmall tear in roof lining at front, and starting to sag at the backCentral locking is intermittent, and I can't figure out the single knob Meta Systems alarmWiring for speakers in the carharness is reversed...left is right and vice versaFront left door speaker not working at allRubber bonnet stops missing on driver side and above radiatorSome paint missing underneath bonnet (suspect it is due to 'ripping' off the sound proofing by a a previous owner)Roof paintwork is in a bad stateWindscreen wash pipe brittle and leakingSteering wheel makes a scraping soundSuspension trut covers are missingDriver seat back adjustment knob keeps falling offSo not too bad with nothing structural discovered so far.

I'll update the thread with images and progress as I go along...

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:03 Mobile | Show all posts
This mess is the only bit that concerns me.

It is the front dash speaker location. The other side is the same. Some previous owner must have attempted to install bigger speakers, but then went for a component system. Shame they hacked the dashboard.

The saving grace is that it isn't actually visible as it is underneath the dash speaker covers and are vent. But as is I can't mount a tweeter in there properly, and it probably also explains the reason I noticed the heater/blower is not consistent as the air duct is broken and just blows behind the dashboard

Options so far are;
* Second hand dashboard - About £50-£125 - but need to be patient as many have a similar problem or then have tears in visible places.
* New replacement dashboard - About £225 - no expensive enough to dismiss it out of hand considering my time (and ability to try and fix it).

Alternatively, try my hand at fabrication myself. I'm thinking that if I take it out, I may be able to get some MDF in there, to then be able to put a mount on that. Perhaps even get a friendly 3D printer to make a bespoke slightly angled bracket such that the tweeter doesn't go directly at the windscreen.

I need to get the dash out to sort the wiring, and replace the very dim lights anyway. So once I can see the damage from underneath I'll decide which way I'll go.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Very interesting. If it was me, I think I’d plump for the new dashboard, more convenient and would tick off quite a bit on your list.

There’s going to be a market for the wheels so you’ll probably recoup your money for the dash.

Just be wary of adding weight

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Yup, good advice and I totally agree. The good thing about these was the light weight. I've got to watch that. I won't go crazy with the deadening material as I understand that 25-33% covering should be sufficient to get the general flex out of some of the components.

I've ordered some original sound proofing material to avoid increasing weight further compared to the aftermarket stuff.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:05 Mobile | Show all posts
my 1st car was a mk2 XR2 and 2nd car was a mk2 8 valve - great cars still know a few people with mk1, mk2 and corrados (my 3rd car), 4th seat arosa 1.tdi (another great little car) currently a R53 mini cooper s (the supercharged one ) any way i digress.... and i assume you will already will know all of this - i just love the car

Replace the wheels - the wheels are original, fairly rare, and got all the original metal wheel caps etc. But we don't like them. - stick with 15" or 16" (perfect IMO), 17" will fit but personally think they are over wheeled for the car and run the ride - tried all three sizes
Upgrade the stereo - it has got some aftermarket Alpine unit with a mix-match of speakers, and an awful 'subwoofer' by Steelmate. It has to go and be upgraded. - very easy to rewire and alpine amps are pretty good in general, but one with matching colours will always look best, easy to rewire lots of holes in the bulkhead to get the power to the amp
Detailing - the paintwork is original, in pretty good condition. But in dire need of a good clean so it is baby bottom smooth with a deep shine. - wash, tfr, clay, compound, glaze then wax will keep it looking fresh for a good while.
Floot mats - horrible black with blue surround floormats are in there. They need to be replaced. - you know already
Sound deadening/proofing - material is missing from the bonnet, boot, door panels and also the carpet (whilst in good condition) seems be on felt and straight onto the floorpan. - footwell could have gotten wet was the plastic membrane behind the door card had to be cut to access the wiring for the door speakers, easy enough to replace with black gaffer tape and thick plastic
Rattle from passenger side when going over speed bumps and holding the brake pedal. could be anything
Dashboard lights are very dim. - broken roller switch below headlight
Rear seat pull rods are broken. - they just unscrew if you can get some pliers on them
Heather/Blower flow is inconsistent in places.
Dashboard speaker mounts are broken.  
Slight whine from the alternator -
Heated washer nozzles are disconnected - i think if they had heated washers then also heated mirrors - worth checking
Windscreen washer is not squirting
Cover on board computer is loose and rattling in engine bayPassenger seat is wobbly - check the little white plastic/rubber feet/pads that sit between the seat and the runners
Small tear in roof lining at front, and starting to sag at the backCentral locking is intermittent, and I can't figure out the single knob Meta Systems alarmWiring for speakers in the carharness is reversed...left is right and vice versaFront left door speaker not working at allRubber bonnet stops missing on driver side and above radiatorSome paint missing underneath bonnet (suspect it is due to 'ripping' off the sound proofing by a a previous owner)if you are doing the new dash then i would be tempted to swap out the heater matrix when you are at it, they can be prone to fail and is dash out to replace

anyway love the car, hope this helps, will keep an eye on the progress,
ben

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you so much! Some useful input

The heater matrix seems fine; and the middle is blowing and the top. It only dawned on my looking at the photos of those dash speakers that the reason the sides are so weak must be due to that awful hack job to mount speakers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Having owned and worked on the Mk2 GTI one thing I will say when poking around under the dash is to take your time as there are some really nasty sharps down there.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Useful to know. I’ll keep that in mind

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I would keep the original wheels, in case you decide to sell it in future. Possibly store them if you do replace

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I will. I'm storing them nicely

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部