12345Next
Back New
Author: Bl4ckGryph0n

BG VW Golf Mk II GTI 8v

[Copy link]
 Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I’ve just managed to find a replacement dashboard very good condition bar the vents but I can move them across from my current one. Bargain for £55 That will save a lot of time and won’t test my fabrication skills that are currently non existent.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:10 Mobile | Show all posts
I think I'm saving myself some further fabrication work. I want to upgrade the sound system, but the existing door pods only accept 5.25" speakers....There used to be an audioscape door pod on the market but they are very rare.

I've just been alerted to this company
Studio Incar Custom Door Pockets

And that to me looks awesome, can get some nice 17cm components upfront for some decent tunes. And they can customise it so they can have cup holders in them as well. Yup a 32 year old car has no cup holders anywhere, but nowadays cup holders are important for the frappdacino moca place latte with extra cream or whatever they drink...super berry smoothy

I'm excited to contact them tomorrow and set something up.

LOL My daughter is never going to get this car, I'm keeping it

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Nice.  Always liked them.  Would have loved a 16v er but i was a tad too young to afford one way back then and, given how bonkers ballistic old school hatches have gone up price of late, probably the same now

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:11 Mobile | Show all posts
With a bit of patience you can still find a very clean one...Just about. There are some sellers who patiently wait for the big money but I don't think it is there yet.

16v is nice, but for everyday driving I like the 8v slightly better...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:12 Mobile | Show all posts
I think we all knew this.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:13 Mobile | Show all posts
I got round that little problem by transplanting a 16v engine,box suspension... who am I kidding it was the full car in to a 1.3l shell remember getting pulled by the boys in blue for a lively get away from a set of lights. Ask to see my " battery" to make sure it was secured. Popped the bonnet and the look on his face was priceless. Just laughed and told me to do one. Also missed out on a 90 spec 16v in oak green with full black leather for £200 engine was fooked. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:14 Mobile | Show all posts
The good old days when a spilt cup full of foam with the essence of Jamaican Blue Mountain was not as important as driving and enjoying the car

I had Alpines in the standard size door pods and was very happy with the sound they offered. You could MDF and recover the doors yourself with ease and fit bigger speakers.

Was going to say previously that when the dash is out don't forget to run all cables and also tidy up those already there before fitting new. It will save a thousand cut fingers and hands.
Are you running optical fiber and Cat 6 as well lol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:14 Mobile | Show all posts
This thread is bringing back some wonderful and also awful memories of mk2 golf ownership. Me and wifey had ‘87 16v big bumper gti. It all started to go wrong when insurance company insisted on a cat 1 alarm, this started the end of the love affair. Lots of issues ensued with nearly all the electrics. A couple of mates had 8v which I preferred. Meet lots of great people, some are still mates to this day from the vw scene from  30 years ago.

Most of the issues that your experiencing are the things that are bringing back the not so good memories. But lots of good memories from holidays, festivals, car and bike racing meetings, to dancing in a field like a gurning lunatic.

What are you going to buy your daughter for her second first car?

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 22:44:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Yup, I was planning to rewire and tidy it up and pre-fit where possible. I mean I'm stripping large parts of the interior anyway so I may as well do it right

Good points about structured cabling

Tell me about it. It has a Meta Systems alarms system in it, linked to the engine management system (if you can call it that) and central locking. But I just cannot work out the logic in its operations, and its intermittent functions, nor its battery draining capabilities. It is a pile of sh*t...I'm thinking of taking that out, but possibly replace it with another system.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:44:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Had a meta on my first mk2 golf driver. Stupid little key fob that you inserted in to the dash. Heap off sh*te. Never recognized it first. If I recall correctly it was wired in to the ignition and starter circuits. For the gti I think it was also wired in to the fuel pump.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部