12345678910Next
Back New
Author: Tempest

I now have a rear facing Dashcam - Do you?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 22:55:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Driving way too close, whilst peeling and eating a Banana ?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:55:02 Mobile | Show all posts
The video doesn't show context. Looks to me like you were in slow moving (bumper to bumper) traffic as other cars were close behind the van.
I don't consider peeling a banana in heavy traffic as dangerous driving either.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I agree with your first point, and its difficult to tell from a camera how close something is.

However, I need two hands to peel a banana. So in the short time the driver is doing that, he/she is not in control of that vehicle. And whilst driving, eating, drinking or carrying out any other task than driving, is distracting from the task in hand. That said, I've been guilty of that in the past.

I can see recording cameras being a default accessory by car manufactures, as most modern cars seem to have a camera of sorts.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If a nurse can get done for eating an apple while driving I don't see why a banana is any different. At least with an apple you only need one hand.

I'd have pulled over and let the prick past. I'd also send a link to the video to his employer.

My rear dashcam has a blue light on it. Works wonders when people get too close and spot it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Its definitely not 'dangerous driving', but it most certainly is 'not being in full control of your vehicle'.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 22:55:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Interesting replies.
I will say, IMHO driving too close to someone is something that is the cause of a lot of accidents, and from personal experience, way way too many people do it.

I travel down a narrow country lane every day, and if there is a car in front, it's a long way in front of me, as I'm not getting anywhere quicker by following close behind them.
Yet I constantly have people close behind me for no reason, other than I presume that's how they normally drive.

It's the type of distance, where if an animal ran out and I slammed my brakes on, they could end up hitting me.

I don't know what's wrong with so many drivers, whether they leave 10ft or 100ft, it will make zero difference on most roads. It just allows time to react to situations should something go wrong.

I will add, when I had motorcycles in my teens, and again, many years later, I found myself driving quite close. Not sure why, but in a car, for many years now. I genuinely feel zero need to follow close behind anyone. It gives me a nice safe zone in case something happens to the car in front.

Personal opinion of course

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:55:03 Mobile | Show all posts
It amazing what people can do behind the wheel of a car whilst driving. I can't even take a hands free phone call and concentrate.
I always leave plenty of room in front of me just incase someone decides to hit me from behind, I don't want to hit the vehicle in front if me.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:55:03 Mobile | Show all posts
No, dash cams always seem to reveal idiotic driving from the owners of the cams. You tube is full of such videos.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 22:55:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I've had a dash-cam facing forward for perhaps the last 3 years, and it's weird as I feel it can make you a better driver, as you are aware if something happened, and you needed the footage, well it would not be good if it showed you driving like an idiot!

However, for all the 3 last cars I've owned, with each of them I've been hit in the back by another driver.

Once was a woman who said she had a wasp in the car so didn't stop.
Second was a man who just said hit foot was wet and it slipped off the clutch.
Third was only a couple of months ago, a woman, simply did not judge her stop and bumped me forwards.

Each time I've been stationary for some time at a junction, and as I say, each time in a different car I owned.

This is why I finally decided to fit a cam on the rear. As I say, I like to keep a nice safe distance, and make it a point to never drive aggressively, if there is an idiot, just let them go.

But now, with footage from the back of my car in addition to the front, if anyone goes into the back of me, there simply is no argument.
I can supply front and rear video to the insurance if it's ever needed.

Let's hope I don't need to ever need it

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:55:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a front facing dash cam and have been *thinking* of adding a rear one. Well, now I wish I had acted sooner.

I was rear ended last night when I stopped to give way at a mini roundabout. As I got out of my car to exchange details, the offender slammed his car into reverse and shot off like a bat out of hell before I could get his reg/make of vehicle etc.

Called 999 at the scene and told to report in person at police station or report online.

So that's me stuffed then. Car is a Lexus and it's going to need at least a new rear bumper/parking sensors. Fortunately, no lights broken but I have a £650.00 excess to pay and my 9 year NCD is going to drop to 4 years!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部