Jaguar XF V6s

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:27 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all

After 14 years of driving a vw golf,  carting 3 kids to every pre/ after school and weekend activity, I  feel it's about time I treat my self to a bit of luxury. After much research and trying to ascertain a budget that won't kill me, I've become totally smitten by the Jaguar XF 3.0 v6s (275bhp) diesel. Late 2011/2012 model.

Now, regarding diesels,  a friend had a Lexus 250 diesel and had to get his fuel injectors cleaned or replaced I believe. It's  been quite a while but he got them cleaned and then sold the car as he was told that they will need to be replaced the next time and apparently this is something that is done every so often on diesels. The issue was the expense to cleaned was a fair amount and to relpaced was running into a few £k's.
I recently heard the same things from somewhere else.

Is this a fact for all diesels and if so, at what mileage is this clean/replacements is to take place at ? Or do more modern diesels not suffer this ?

I'm am looking at a secondhand XF (up to £16/17k max) between 70k-100k on the clock. High Mileage is not a problem so long as it well maintained and the bulk of the mileage is motoway driving but  I don't want to be facing a massive bill as soon as I get it.

Any input from same or simlar owners much appreciated

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:28 Mobile | Show all posts
I've had an XF 3.0D (238 bhp), 2009 model, for a few years now (bought s/h), 78K on the clock now. A/C has stopped working, booked in for a fix next week, had to replace driver's window regulator/motor a few months ago, did it myself - that's it.

Would buy another like a shot - S version, oh yes! But I'm retired now, did 12 miles in it last week, so I can't justify replacing it, never mind with an S .

I had an S-Type 2.7D Sport before, did over 90K in it - did have various engine ancillary issues with it, nothing too bad for the mileage.

Never, ever, heard of injector issues with either - and I've always gone for the cheapest supermarket fuel, I was spending over £100 pw on diesel, out of my own pocket, before I retired.

I believe the timing belt (not 100% sure that it's a belt rather than a chain - but that's what I was told at my local Jaguar main dealer earlier this week when booking it in for the a/c to be looked at) is due for replacement at 112K - probably around £1k if you keep it that long.

Only thing I'd say, the base model - like mine - is called the Luxury. Has leather and satnav, but flat unsupportive seats, dip-it-yourself rear view mirror, SFA else, not what I'd call luxury - boy was I disappointed after my S-Type sport. Go for the Premium Luxury at least, lots better spec.

Do it Don, you know you want to
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:01:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. And yes you are right. You know I know I want one

I was taken by the XF the moment I saw one and then when a friend of a friend gave me a lift home in his. Sold from that moment on really but thought I check out others in its class (Audi A6 and 5 series.) And they just didn't hook me like the XF does.

I did initially look at the 2.7 but I read that the later 3.0 is better on fuel and just as much or cheaper road tax because of it better emissions. Then I saw the S. Case closed. The 2011 facelift rubber stamped it and threw away the key.

Good news about the fuel injector as I was hearing horror stories.

Thanks for the tip for premium luxury which the S comes in anyway. I was considering the Portfolio but that just have a bit more trinkets which I'm not really bothered about.

Research didn't throw up regular common problems so thanks for the AC And window problem Info.

My golf had driver window mechanism problem from day dot. Cheap plastic hinges to hold up a heavy window but that was sorted after many times trying. Other problems ensued over the years and currently dripping oil on my driveway.

I've seen quite a few S models in and around the price and mileage range but are not plenty. I'm arranging the funds now so hopefully in the next month I be a happy owner.

Any other owners care to shed any light on what's could be facing?  Good or bad it's all beneficial

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:29 Mobile | Show all posts
You could be looking at DPF filter replacement at that sort of mileage - expensive.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I had a 3.0D V6 Lux (2010MY) for four years from new. DPF blocked messages were my main issue. Most of my driving was commuting relatively short distances (30-50 miles daily) and sitting in traffic jams during most of that. I'd regularly get to within a couple of miles from home in heavy traffic and the DPF warning would pop up, requiring a continuous blast at over 40MPH for 20 mins to clear it. Had to nurse it home and wait until 7/8.0pm until traffic died down to take it for a blast (round trip of 40 miles).

It was such a pain - daren't leave it idling for too long. One time I got stuck in an accident traffic jam for 2 hours on the M4 and the DPF Full message popped up. I was panicking that day in case the engine management invoked limp mode!

The car chewed through a full set of £160 a piece tyres in about 12,000 miles with conservative driving (I am 57, been driving for 40 years), The original battery needed replacement at 3 years.

Other than that I loved the car, beautiful drive and refined engine. Shame the DPF issues spoiled the overall experience for me. If you regularly do longish motorway /A rod runs you should be OK.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:01:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks fellas.  I will look into that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Not Jaguar, but ran my last 330d to 162k on original injectors and turbo.

Current 335d on 99k and again on original injectors and turbos. Original DPF as well, and no warnings either.

You can of course buy reconditioned injectors for a fraction of the new price.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:01:32 Mobile | Show all posts
IIRC Lexus dropped that diesel engine and haven't had a diesel in their line up since, I wouldn't use your friends experience as universal across diesels.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:01:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks john7 and DvD man for your input.

I see there are any threads regarding DPF  and that is something most if not all modern diesels have. It could also be what my Lexus friend was talking about but it was a few years ago  when we had this conversation so I will contact him later to confirm. And yes DVDMan, his was a 2008 model.
Either I have to drive the car like I stole it on every trip or hit M/way which is not far from me (Kent or Surrey)

I live in south London and wth all the traffic calming and heavy traffic I do well to get past 20mph. I don't drive to work as its in central London and drive the missus car on the school run so she could collect the kids  after work but I really dont mind hitting the m/way for an hr after work to give it blast and clean. It be a pleasure actually .

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 00:01:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Toyota seem to have given up on diesel development across the range and are focusing on their hybrid system with most of the diesels they do offer sourced from BMW.

The Japanese have never been very keen on diesel, unlike Europe their home market is petrol dominated.

Use magic Report

12345678910Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部