Author: Bl4ckGryph0n

EU Wants to control how you drive

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:17:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Chancellor Merkel sounds scary than Chancellor Sutler lol.

I am least bothered about this but the ULEZ coverage map from October 2021 is. A decade back Diesel was encouraged but not completely demonised.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:17:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Like anything, it should be in a manifesto and let people decide if they want it.

Take the EU army. It's up to you if you agree with it or not. Some would say it's a good thing. It's greater independence from the US, an acceptable route for the EU that intends to be "a power" or a lot of other reasons. Others would say that independence from allies like countries like Canada and the US is a bad thing. The EU army will undermine Nato which has kept the peace for decades.

So fine. Stick it in a manifesto, let people decide on it and then enact the result. Same with anything else the EU decides.

For instance:

The EU wants cleaner air in cities. This can be done by encouraging less car use in cities and having a tax for entering them. Sounds great, if you live in a city and are asthmatic then you want cleaner air.

The downside is that those with cars are generally more affluent. If they don't go to cities and shop then businesses suffer. We are already seeing the decline of the High Street. This will be accelerated.

Buses and trucks tend to pollute more than cars. Particularly if they are old. If deliveries are more expensive these costs will be passed onto the consumer. Also accelerating the decline of the High Street.

Their's no correct answer but the public should have a say in it. "We the people" not "they the people."

Also probably the biggest issue the EU has is the migrant issue. Thousands are arriving in the EU and some EU countries are implementing their own measures to control it.

If the EU seriously wants to deal with something, why not the priorities?

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 22:17:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I've just read another story that drivers will be able to disable the device if they wish.

Makes sense.    The EU want to control everything and have all cars fitted with limiters.

Can't see car manufacturers being happy about this (nor a lot of peeps) so having it easily disabled is fair enough.

I guess the original, sensationalist headline, was not all it was cracked up to be..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It is tricky.
Far easier to internet purchase I think, the high street  is probably doomed anyway apart a few capable due to product, clientele and location. Out of town retail parks provide loads of free parking and are often full as are the usual supermarkets. I wonder if the shift is due to the shopper not what they drive or regulations. If my local town had a load of food shops open up there would not be the time (shut at 6pm or stay open 24/7?) or space to use them, I wonder what the supermarket person turnover in a day would do to a town centre? Could a be a boon or a nightmare?

For me locally, it is cheaper to drive the short way to town than take the bus. It is far better that I walk and I do (the local market is still hanging in there).
Briefing: Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) | ETSC
It is in the blurb from the EU device web site. But you forget about the black box. It would be interesting what info that could provide and what is deemed a data protection issue. The blurb says "moments before a collision" but I wonder how much time they actually record. But it could still give the info that you were caning it before you visited the scenery. Insurance companies will be tying this into the T C. Driver being silly at the time of accident, no cover?

Think that might be an interesting intervention for some.

Edit. Also I think there was a comment on one of the press briefings along the lines that to get people to accept it they had to put the override in. My money is on a few years later they make it compulsory when more cars are using the system.

Use magic Report

They aren't so good for those who don't drive. Generally City centres are also a public transport hub. Often you'd need to get a bus into town, then another bus going to the retail park.

Use magic Report

I actually agree with this and have been saying this for years, unless you are on a national speed limit road you are limited to the speed of the area, would remove the need for humps, speed cameras and generally stop all the muppets from being able to bomb down the road.

Not a matter of controlling how you drive but if people are going to flat out ignore the speed limits and go down school roads over 30mph whilst flying over humps then yes I am all for this.

Now all we need is a system where cars auto stop when traffic lights go red, sick of nearly getting hit by assholes running red lights, considering carrying rocks with me to lob at their cars when they do it.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 22:17:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Goes without saying.
My local large Tesco for example does not have any real area I can secure my bike, I could get a few items I get from there in a rucksack. That is two modes of transport not really catered for. But a big free car park that is always busy.

We have a Tesco in the town centre as well. And a Sainsbury out of town, and an Asda in the town centre. And an Aldi in town, Lidl out of town.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 22:17:02 Mobile | Show all posts
They all do home delivery

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:17:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Here's a government document showing quantitively what, where and when are the biggest causes of road fatalities. Personally I quite enjoy driving and could from those figures and information formulate a policy that wouldn't infringe on our ability to control and enjoy the use of a motor vehicle. However people including contributors to this thread seem to think and feel that a pathos argument of 'Think of the children, ban human control of cars to cut deaths because of speeding' etc, etc is valid.
The figure show quite correctly that the high speed roads we use, that are also managed correctly 'The motorways' are in fact the safest. Vulnerable Road users in urban and rural areas are at the highest risk of deaths. Maybe a major drive to educate and bring accountability to everybody who uses the roads in these areas would certainly be of better use than fitting Black boxes or eye in the sky management or risk assessments via insurance companies to cut 'Deaths' caused by speeding.

'Based on 2012 drink drive statistics, 83 per cent of pedestrians aged 16 and over
killed in reported accidents between the hours of 10 pm and 4 am were over the legal
limit for drivers compared with 59 per cent of car drivers themselves. A similar
proportion (50 per cent) of pedal cyclists killed overnight were over the legal alcohol limit
for driving'.
'In 2013, 35 per cent of fatalities resulting from personal injury accidents were allocated the “loss of control” contributory factor'.
'The second most common contributory factor allocated to fatalities resulting from personal injury accidents was driver/rider failed to look properly, allocated to 26 per cent of reported fatalities and 11 per cent of pedestrian fatalities in 2013. This is commonly known as the looked but failed to see in road safety literature. Failed to look properly was most common factor for serious and slight injury casualties, 35 and 43 per cent respectively'.

The figures also show that 42% of all causalities are caused by drivers failing to look properly, so maybe mandatory refresher courses or government campaigns would be more effective than trying to draw yet more figurative water from the speeding well. I've highlighted a few areas which would be far more effective in cutting deaths than the current idea. And as for the drivel surrounding breakthroughs concerning transport. Wealth and car ownership along with poor transport policy has meant that we are actually, despite advances in technology, travelling slower than 100yrs ago. Ai wont change this, I do often wonder about the folly and faith in mans ability to problem solve.

Personally I quite like driving, certainly, I don't see it as a means to an end like some. It is yet another example of interference via unelected unaccountable group of people, along with being one step too far in managing my choices.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/448037/road-fatalities-2013-data.pdf

Its the reason I voted out in the first place. I also feel even though this isn't the thread for it that the current set of politicians who have deliberately failed to deliver the referendum vote should vacate immediately. Even harsher still some should be hung for treason.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 22:17:02 Mobile | Show all posts
All of them?

People also ask
Can I order online from Lidl?
LIDL has their own website but does not offer an online shopping service or delivery. We recommend that you fill your basket using mySupermarket so that you can benefit from our price comparisons. Then you can print your list and go to your nearest LIDL store in the UK to do your shopping.

Aldi don't deliver groceries either, they do deliver wines spirits and hardware...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部