Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
Author: Bl4ckGryph0n

EU Wants to control how you drive

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:16:39 Mobile | Show all posts
And again. For now. It's the way it's done. A major bit of legislation won't pass so you keep making tiny steps. Once you have things in your car tracking how you drive and where you go, it will be the same thing Labour tried to bring in years ago.

BBC News | UK Politics | Anger over road 'toll tax'

Even if it didn't, insurance companies will want to monitor how you drive.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

I would far rather more time and effort went into better training and better road policing with real police along with any safety devices. The same ability that is used to pass a test will probably be with the driver for life. That test does not make a good driver, it just gets them to a certain point to tick the boxes to get a pass. They can try to improve after that, or not. There is no inducement to improve.

The info on the EU site says the limiter will kick in for the limit posted but you override it, perhaps burying the throttle. But there is that little black box.......

However, people complaining of elephant racing with HGV's are now going to see what it is like at 70

My tin foil hat on (double wrapped just in case), the car manufacturers must be happy. They can charge more initially, all this in car entertainment is not going to be provided FOC. Systems will need to be sealed to prevent tampering and authorised repairers will charge and apart from fines for tampering I bet there will be an end of life for the unit installed meaning the car has to be scrapped if some conditions are met. Car makers get to sell a new car. Result.

Anything with a tacho that is required by law to be used needs the calibration and seal in the transport industry. Though it does have some hefty fines for being naughty and far tighter regulations. Will they do the same here? There could be legal challenges if it is inaccurate.

UK is down to 1793 (?0 deaths a year, too many still but the biggest cause of accidents is poor driving. That will remain, will these systems cope with us?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Some insurance companies already use telematics in return for either reduced policy cost or any policy at all for young drivers.  They currently rely on people installing an app on their phone which monitors their driving habits, speed/smoothness/time of day etc to judge their driving.

Edit: In fact, some companies even use a "little black box" that's fitted permanently

Compare Black Box and Telematics Car Insurance - GoCompare

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
SP30 revenues are going to take a hit, and insurers too, with reduced premium hiking on endorsements

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I can understand the safety aspect of tracking, limiting and restricting for delievery/work vehicles, but at the same time, I really hate the fact that it now means any manager or especially 'accountant' types will and do monitor ever single aspect of a workers movements to the nth degree so they even have to explain and possible get in trouble for stopping to take a wee in an 'authorised break' even though they know that they are going to get stuck on a motorway for the next few hours without any chance of stopping - or variations on that theme.

When I first started working, I was a field service engineer for Commodore UK doing warranty repairs over a large area - Carlise to Chester and Blackpool to Bradford, essentially all Cumbria, Lancashire, Cheshire, Mersyside, Greater Manchester and some of West Yorkshire.

I could have a list of 8 calls to get to the customer, diagnose and repair if possible then off to the next which often resulted in a couple of hundred miles a day driving.
Luckily that was before speed cameras and average speed over time, otherwise I simply wouldn't be able to get where I had to be and get the work done.
If I couldn't take a break when I felt drained and needed a rest and to eat - other than at some official points in the day or for a specific amount of time, I would have gone spare.
If the schedulers and bosses could actually track my movements and tell when I was occassionally ending the day early because I knew I couldn't possibly make the last few calls, guaranteed there would be arguments about 'trying' and ending up being forced to make a pointless journey only to be faced with then trying to get home before 9pm in the evening.

Those with trackers and corporate type bosses have my complete and utter sympathy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 22:16:40 Mobile | Show all posts
It's what the proposed legislation was for
"The Commission wanted to make it compulsory that the car would automatically slow down to observe speed limits but we have secured a compromise where the system merely has to alert the driver that he or she is speeding," said Daniel Dalton, the Tory MEP for the West Midlands.

The compromise happened because governments would lose a lot of revenue generated by speeding fines imho..

Every car will be fitted with Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA)
Is the legislation that it must be fitted with open ISA,,,half-open ISA or closed ISA ..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks to working time directives and enforcements you have to take breaks.

Great, a tired driver causes accidents. All about having safer drivers.

Except you are at the other end of the country, you've been delayed from setting off and now you can finally leave, get back and then head home. You feel fine. But you still have to park up and stop on the journey as you've drove for a few hours, and because you have to, not because you want to or need to.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I know. It will be extended as this stuff never goes backwards.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Mountain and molehill spring to mind.
Oh, and by the time people who are worried about our liberty to speed is withdrawn by those nasty EU masters we will probably have fully automated cars anyway!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I was thinking more of the trackers on none HGV/Large vehicles and more purely from the perspective of people in normal cars and minivans.
i.e those going to multiple locations to start their work then move on to the next - sales reps, field service or what ever isn't purely properly regulated deliveries.

There are a significant number of people that have to be out and about driving to and from customers that are in 'grey' areas when it comes to regulations etc.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部