Author: nabby

Why does the West have an increasing anti-semitism issue?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:50:51 Mobile | Show all posts
You need to read my post, maybe filling in some details which are assumed.  Retired people who don't work do not have a job to protect.  Strictly speaking in my example they are company directors but tge reality is they dont work or need to given the wealth they sit on.  Their first argument was "protecting my job" after a discussion it always came down to simple racism.

As to the rest of your post.... well i dont agree at all.  As I'm on my phone I'll keep it short.

Uncontrolled mass migration?  I'd argue two things.

One the UK hasn't had anything like you describe when put in context of the resources and employment requirements of our country.  Other countries certainly have had major population influxes due to wars and can't cope.  In the UK with the luxury of being an island off Europe we've had numbers which could be managed, that they haven't been is the faults of governments not investing in the education of "Brits" to be more tolerant and globally focused (which is really needed in the world we live and trade in) but also the failure to boost the living and general education standard of many sections of the uk.  

Housing is a good example of where the government's are more driven to keep the false housing market economy alive rather than build enough or move civil servants *inc mps* out of London.  As to education how about institutional racism across the police, let alone the fact that generally Those children not coming from a family where a language other than English is spoken are not competent in a second language.  I've known people studying a foreign language in the most prestigious unis in England who obviously had top grades in languages at a level who basically were unable to converse competently in the language they were taking with a native speaker.

Two.  What I'm talking about with migration in the UK and needing jobs filled is the majority of people moving here are economic migrants who will happily move back when the situation changes.  In most cases if they don't earn enough or lose their jobs rather than sit on the dole they leave the country.  They are the sort who also are net contributing to the UK economy.  Don't forget anyone coming here from abroad for a job didn't grow up here and didn't get educated here but They pay tax.  So very major costs which every Brit incurs the government are avoided and we collect tax from them.

Examples of those migrants leaving are all over the press.  Since Brexit every cardiologist who treated my daughter (saved by the nhs) has left the country.  All of them were non brit europeans with well over 100 years experience between  them have been replaced by some One with less than 1 year experience who wanted to send my daughter home without treatment one day because she cried before a scan.  Other examples would include people I employ at my firm when you can't employ Brits because the skills we want are simply not taught in the uk anymore (which is sad as there was a international renown institute which pumped out people with perfect backgrounds which was closed down in all but name in early rounds of government funding cuts decades ago).  Those people are migrants who's skills will be saught globally if they leave.

As to what one politician says now based on conplex historical government policy (And years of free movement thanks to eu membership which the uk was desperate for.... poor man of Europe and all).... well his comments if worth anything at a cant be applied to modern migration as a whole.  

As to tarring everyone who voted leave with the racism brush.  Yes that's fair to say that I genuinely believe that a very large proportion and i expect the vast majority of people voting leave did so based on rhetoric which was racist or because they themselves were racist.  My feeling is based on not only every leave voter I have spoken to, and every story I've had relayed to me from friends all over the uk but also by seeing the leave arguments.

It is clear immigration was a major if not the major factor in the voting.  It is also clear to me the language and imagery used by people saying migration was a problem did so in base emotional manner which frankly was blaming all our problems on either foreigners or those with residence rights (ie the wrong sort of brits).  That is frankly exactly what always happened to the jews historically they were a scape goat.  The thing about a scape goat is that blaming them for problems which have nothing to do with them will never solve the problems which do exist and which the government could fix if it set itself to.

I'm not interested in your line of argument which is clearly prejudicial about targeting groups based on religion or geographic zone.  Should we evict Brits from the uk because the vast majority of murders in the uk are perpetrated by Brits? It would reduce the murder figures if there was no one left here.

The taking back control argument is a sad joke on a very large scale.  I accept some people may honestly believe this but they are deluded.  It's a very separate and lengthy argument but in a nutshell consider relevant to the racism issues that the idea the eu controls the uk is largely based on racist scape goating or tabloid joke stories which have been present in the uk for decades.  There is a website I believe run by the eu which catalogues them and it's funny reading.  So many people who want control back are really just following a racist joke gone wrong.

On another note consider the Scottish example.  The country is devolved and the pro indepe dance party tends to blame anything going wrong on Westminster even where it is utterly within their power to fix things.  It is tedious drum banging.  The same is true in the uk.  Over and over the eu gets blamed when in fact the legislation  or practice in the uk far exceeds what the eu required.  The passport joke (where we never needed to change colour) is a good and simple to follow example.

As to power on another level.  Where does power rest in the uk?  They didn't let the people name a boat for goodness sake! How much power does one normal average person have? In theory their mp represents them but in practice most mps get elected and then vote to keep their job or as they wish in parliament where they are in any case 1 in over 600.  How much power does the government even have? They generally make a mess  of big proj3cts (anything it related for one), can't pass a simple law to ban upskirrting because of arcane procedure and are making such a mess of Brexit negotiations they are the laughing stock of the world.  

Did any brexiteer ever even consider the need to manage parliament let alone how to negotiate against 20 plus countries most of whom  are shouting "can I have your stuff" at the top of their voices?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:50:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Tis on page 3 of the thread Why does the West have an increasing anti-semitism issue?

Original source is = https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

42% of Leave voters agreed with at least one antisemitic statement, 28% of remain voters agreed with at least one antisemitic statement.

The 'norm' ie the number of adults agreeing to one or more antisemitic statements is 36%

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:50:52 Mobile | Show all posts
There is a higher prevelence of antisemitism amongst Leave voters than the adult population as a whole.

To put it simply:

If you picked 100 adults randomly, the odds are that you would find 36 of them expressing at least 1 antisemitic view.

If you picked 100 Leave voters randomly, the odds are that you would find 42 of them expressing at least 1 antisemitic view.

If you picked 100 Remain voters randomly, the odds are that you would find 28 of them expressing at least 1 antisemitic view.

ergo, there is a higher prevelence amongst Leave voters, which begs the question why ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I see. Is that 'racism' as in "I dont like immigration" or real racism as in "I think foreigners are inferior" (or worse!).

Short...!

The UK saw the largest increase in population ever between 1997 and 2010. Not just a peak, but a spike. Solely due to immigration. I'd argue that your "...educating brits to be more tolerant and globally focussed" however is an intellectual sleight-of-hand; it implies that we are intolerant, or not tolerant to a sufficient degree. Yet we are one of the most tolerant nations in the world. Intolerant? Turkey is intolerant (for example, it imprisons more journalists than any Western nation). The Middle East states are intolerant. Myanmar is intolerant.

I do agree though with your last line above. Consecutive governments have failed on those areas.

Largely driven by Gordon Brown's post-2000 financial mismanagement. Deliberately excluding house prices from the inflation index led to a rapid rise in house prices. "I've ended boom-and-bust" whilst ignoring the nations personal debt mountain of £1 trillion in credit debt, ie an economy that was driven by debt spending not underlying economic growth. I digress, sorry

Wholly agree MP's should be moved out of London. On a whole different 'rant' we should have curtailed their habits in 2007 when the expense scandal broke. If I want to work at the other end of the country, I don't expect my employer to essentially subsidise my housing, allowing me to flip my primary and secondary residence for expense and tax purposes. We sold off a perfectly good barracks at the time; we should have converted it into 650 apartments and told MPs "here is your London accommodation, at a subsidised cost. Choose to live anywhere else at own expense".

Institutional racism. I do not disagree that there are not racists in the Police, any more than I would disagree that there are racists in any other walk of life, or saints for that matter. But most of the police officers I know, from Dorset, Hampshire, Kent, Hertfordshire, London, Cheshire, Kendal, Glasgow, and Yorkshire are perplexed as to where this 'institutional racism" exists, or where the idea comes from that the police are such. The McPherson report jumped through a variety of intellectual hoops to arrive at the conclusion that the Metropolitan Police Service was institutionally racist, taking a narrow definition of 'institutional racism' as being unwitting, unconscious, and unintentional, rather than any inherent overt policy of discrimination, or the allowance of overtly racist language and behaviour.

Read para 6.3 - it contradicts itself regarding use of the word  'coloured', then goes on to use in in Para 6.4 Despite condemning use of the word "coloured" to identify someone who is such, 6.17 criticizes police offers for attempting to be 'colour blind'. Racism being

I suppose this is racist, then. If I move to another country, I am expected to integrate and abide by their customs. I certainly couldn't celebrate England's win tonight in a pub in Saudi Arabia, for example, or be drunk on the street. If I hold hands with my partner I can be expected to be arrested. When do the Saudi police "take account of the nature and needs of the person or the people involved" or "accept the need to adapt their professionalism, quality of service and their legal and wider responsibilities to the needs of a continually changing population. The goal is to provide services that are applicable and accessible to all citizens regardless of their ethnic background"

They don't. The attitude of the Middle Eastern countries can be summed up as "our way or the hard way (leave)". I have no problem with immigration, but I would expect anyone coming to our country to integrate into it, and adopt our customs, our society, and not the other way round.

We have a very definite need for many skills, agreed. The long-term solution is to re-instate those skills through education and training (agreeing with a point you make later re lost skills), skills which were once organic but we have now lost. Its not just Government; British industry is loathe to invest in it's workforce. In the IT sector almost no one wants to train staff in new skills, they would prefer to recruit someone externally who already has them. Which leads to an artificial skills shortage of its own making.

But not all earning migrants (clumsy term, sorry, its late, I'm tired) contribute a net benefit beyond taxation. Many send the majority of their earnings back to their families. So whilst the Government sees some tax revenue, the economy sees little benefit. iirc the known cost impact of this is several billion per year.

Its also fair to say that a significant number of immigrants are not 'economic migrants', but benefit migrants. And thats before we get into those who are smuggled in, "living" on the black economy or held in economic bondage.

As for these very major costs that migrants have not incurred, I presume every migrant is a working adult sans family, e.g. children, who require schooling, who "grow up here", and in large numbers require that public services now require a large number of translators. And lets not even get into the very real impact of trying to teach a multi-language class. Or cater for numerous different religions. To raise these issues is not racist, its raising a very real issue. And thats before we take into account that our national infrastructure is not expanding at a rate to accommodate the huge rise in population. We need to build a city the size of Liverpool every year to address the housing shortage alone. We live on an island, assuming we could afford to do that, how long before we run out of land? I don't want to live in a land that is housing from Land's End to John O'Groats.

The NHS doesn't need more money, it thoroughly deserves far better senior management, and a Government determined to push through financial and management reform, not privatisation, reducing deadwood and waste. But the NHS is an example of institutional self-selection. I trust your daughter has recovered.

We have some common ground! Hoorah!

Erm, its not a politician saying now, its a politican admitting to real motive behind his Governments immigration policy for the entire 13 years it was in office, 8 years ago... and it was hardly complex. In a sentence, it was importing votes at the cost of our culture.

Isn't tarring everyone with the same brush somewhat, discriminatory, or worse, stereotyping. Wasn't a large organisation accused of something similar. Sorry, I'm teasing Debating on the 'net is fine, but it lacks the non-verbal clues that one is trying to be light-hearted and not atagonistic or obtuse   

No one can ever state for sure the motivation of an electorate. I will respect your belief, because I could argue the opposite but would similarly be arguing from belief or anecdote as you.

I would agree that immigration was a factor. It was for me. Not the only one, perhaps not the largest one. But certainly not on the grounds of racism. But here we run into a problem, because - in my opinion - the definition of 'racist' is now so broad. I could be accused of racism simply because I believe that we should be able to control our borders. There is nothing overtly racist in that statement.

I certainly don't recall any such language and imagery, and nothing "blaming all our problems on either foreigners or those with residence rights". I do recal very real debate over the impact of uncontrolled immigration, in terms of financing the welfare bill, the NHS, housing, processing applications, illegal immigration, etc.

Yes, like controlling immigration?

I haven't a clue what you are referring to here?

I'm quite familiar with the way the EU is run, with the flimsy veneer of "democracy" that are MEPs, and the EU's argument that the Commision and Council are 'elected' by us citizens because we elect our Government, who in turn select the Commission. Which is trite. The EU pass Articles , which each member state is obliged to enact through its own legislation and Regulations which each member state is obliged to follow. Membership of the EU and the free market is conditional - not optional - on free movement, ie uncontrolled immigration between countries of the EU. So we do not control our borders. This is not 'racist scape-goating' nor a tabloid joke.

We are in violent agreement here! I live in Glasgow. It was amusing to listen to the SNP state - bizarely - "we want independence from the UK and control our own destiny... and join the EU".

No argument here. Yep, Govt project management is abysmal, partially because no one can say "no" to scope creep, civil servants play the pension game (never make a decision, it might bite them in the backside, "no" is the easiest answer), too many people liking the "new shiny" - I'm looking at you, GDS and Agile project "management" - etc. I've got the gunpowder if you've got the match?

Slight disagreement, the law failed for a perfectly valid reason; it would have led to bad law. The MP responsible actually agreeded with the sentiment of it, but objected to the phrasing of the legislation and how it was attempted to be bought in. Regards the negotiations, yep its a shambles. But remember that politicians involved have never had to negotiate anything, so didnt know the golden rule of never declare your position before entering, and have left the actual work to civil servants who cannot negotiate contracts with national suppliers; and whom dont wish to, because it will affect their non-exec directorship on retirement... but I suspect that whilst we differ on point, we both agree in principal here!

Yes, yes, and yes! Simple fact is, no one on either side of the House had a Plan B because no one expected the public to vote to leave. (a simple fact that seems to escape journalists and QT presenters when Corbyn et al criticize the Govt for being 'unprepared'). Simply put, we should have been going in far harder at the outset. Because negotiation is about need and greed. We should have started by handing the western EU states a bill for several hundred billion marked "services rendered 1939-1945". (thats tongue in cheek, btw).

But, the EU have demonstrated an unwillingness to negotiate, too. When David Cameron tried to negotiate a better deal, he did warn that a failure to agree one would lead to a referendum in the UK. The EU response? A very public warning that we "would be punished" if we voted to leave! Sorry, but that to me really encapsulated why we should leave.

Anyway, its late and this post is long enough

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
You say the government didn't expect a Leave vote, so they shouldn't have looked at the consequences. How stupid is that of any government making a decision like that. Do you really expect the EU to bend over backwards to make it easy for us to leave. I wonder if you cancelled a gym membership, would you expect them to offer you the same facilities to make it easier for you to leave. Surely there can be nobody who thinks that this has been well thought out, and, to me, it's very frightening that we are under the control of a government who has put themselves in this position. I would certainly agree that immigration was the main reason for the leave vote, but I know that certainly in Scotland, our immigrant population is essential to us, particularly with an increasingly ageing population, and yet we get no say in this. Trouble ahead, I think.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Did they not hold the referendum in Scotland?

Use magic Report

Remember if Scotland did leave the UK while the UK is still in the EU, Scotland does NOT automatically become a member of the EU. It would have to apply and all EU nations would have to agree.
I would expect some nations to look at it as an opportunity to get plenty of contributions from Scotland.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 01:50:53 Mobile | Show all posts
As my grand mother used to say; you can't pluck feathers off a bald chicken

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No, I didn't say that "didnt expect a leave vote, so they shouldn't have looked at the consequences". I said no one expected the UK to vote leave, so they didn't [consider the consequence] and have a plan B [for leaving]. Subtle difference.

Leaving aside the UK specifically, the wider question is should the EU make it easy for a country to leave? Why should it not be easy to leave if a country wishes to do so? The EU has given little thought to this; article 50 is a mere one page.

I can't see the correlation between the EU and a gym membership; you pay a sum of money, you use the services, upto the point you are no longer a member. Once you leave, you don't use the services, they no longer take your money. If you indicate you might wish to leave because you consider the cost too high for what you get, its up to the gym to consider whether they might wish to tempt you to change your mind by offering a discounted rate, or broader range of services. But is there a comparison beyond that? We wish to leave the EU but still wish to trade, the detail is what tariffs will we be subjected to?

Many of the other "barriers" are nothing more than pig-headedness. The idea that the UK and the EU cannot share security or criminal intelligence if we leave? Given the EU shares both with non-EU members already demonstrates that this is not impossible. We cannot access the GPS service, which we were a major contributor to? Again, its the EU essentially throwing a tantrum - there is nothing stopping the EU taking a business approach to this and agreeing a charge for doing so.

No one thinks it's been well though out, and plainly it has never been considered; the EU for not having a mechanism to allow member states to leave (which is shortsighted, because a working, fair leave mechanism leaves the door open to a member state returning on good terms). The UK political parties for refusing to acknowledge the groundswell of anti-EU feeling and at least contingency planning.

Or maybe (tin foil hat on) because no one in Government or opposition actually wants to leave, and history will repeat itself; no country that voted to leave has managed to leave. Look the demands for a "final say on the terms"; its not a call for a "yes, leave now" or "no, go back to the table"   instead its "ok, if we must" or "no, lets stay in the EU". And that, I think, is what will happen; we will not leave.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
And Scotland doesn't meet the requirements for EU membership. Not that that would stop the EU from allowing them to join, as the EU stated during the Scottish referendum.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部