Author: Cliff

Labour Party Conference kicks off. Excited?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I studied both at a Comprehensive

Comprehensives were introduced in the 1940s and became prevalent in the 60s, are you really that old?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Same here with Lord of the Flies, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream (including a trip to Regent's Park Open Air Theatre with Christopher Biggins as Puck). Read 1984 for fun while at university in central London mainly because Senate House, our main federal HQ, inspired the Ministry of Truth description as well as being used for exterior shots in the film adaptation. I much preferred Animal Farm.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:47:34 Mobile | Show all posts
We did Macbeth and To Kill a Mockingbird, both very interesting tbh. Mixture of Social Justice and moral dilemma. We had inkwells in our desks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:34 Mobile | Show all posts
No surprise that labour don't want to talk about brexit.

The more voters know, the less likely they are too vote labour

How the internet helped Labour at the general election - How the internet helped Labour at the general election
If survey respondents were frequent internet users but did not know much about politics they tended to vote Labour. In contrast, if they weren't internet savvy but knew a fair bit about politics, they tended to vote Conservative.

Don't know much about politics - vote labour. Figures.

So the less they can say about policies, the better it seems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:36 Mobile | Show all posts
This theme is consistent with  the EU referendum, both answers. voters felt they did not know enough about the EU, but yet they still voted.

Far too much time and energy has been spent on Brexit we either leave fully and told everything will be the same or we leave a little bit and told everything will be the same.

How the internet helped Labour at the general election

Not sure a very expensive professor is needed to rework the Momentum mission statement which is basically to engage people who don’t normally do politics. They are free to engage with Moggmentum and the festival of ideas if they so wish.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:36 Mobile | Show all posts
More whataboutery

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:47:37 Mobile | Show all posts
So the Labour Party conference has nothing to say about the most important issue of our time.

Cos they are a bit embarrassed that they are all over the place on it.

Pathetic.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:38 Mobile | Show all posts
I have some sympathy for it. Yes it is a very important issue, however they’ve lost the recent election. And even with TM attempts to betray us this should be played out by the next general election. Labour should focus on readying what they can control and focus on becoming a party of relevance again.

Good opposition is important. Unfortunately I don’t think they will ever get there with Corbyn at the helm. He is too devisive and hypocritical.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:47:39 Mobile | Show all posts
True, but the point is that they are not slow in coming forward in slagging the Tories for being divided on Brexit, which of course they are. But to do that when they are even more divided on Brexit than the Tories themselves is pure hypocrisy.

But then pure hypocrisy is what Labour do best I guess.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:47:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Indeed - like proposing to give tax breaks/financial support to 'rich' students....It still makes me smile that one, just imagine if the Conservative party came out with a policy like that...They would have had a field day.

Or take a look at the proposed limit to credit card interest rate charges. At the face of it that seems reasonable to me. Undoubtedly we hear a lot that it disprorpotionally affects the poorest in society etc. Where I have an issue with it though is that it doesn't actually help prevent the situation, it merely limits the symptoms and plays on those evil bankers. As long as there is money to be made those services will be provided, but if there is no more money to be made then those services will disappear. Yet in the mean time they haven't done anything to help prevent these situations from happening in the first place...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部