Author: Rasczak

Anne Marie Morris MP (Conservative) - Stay or Go?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 03:03:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Well that's me bu******d then
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:03:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Squiffy, I would urge you to get real. During a perfectly normal conversation, an MP came out with a racist comment as if discussing the weather. Totally unacceptable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry but the N word, and especially that phrase was never part of the common vocabulary and where it was, it really shouldn't have been...

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:03:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Only just seen this thread, so not read through all the posts.

I think suspension of the whip is sufficient punishment for now, though if her constituency party feel she shouId go, that's their internal business. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt in that rather than blatant racist behaviour or intent, it was plain ignorance and a shocking moment of madness. It wasn't like Ron Atkinson. She's certainly on notice and, not that it's any excuse, there have been far worse repeat offender MPs in the past who got away with quite nasty racism, e.g. Ann Winterton.

It's such an old expression, and she's about 60, so might have suddenly lifted it out of her childhood memory palace.

Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but sometimes that's needed. I recall Prince Harry using the P word towards an Asian friend in a video. A word I really hate from my 70s/80s childhood, that really makes me angry. Now we know his intent wasn't to hurt, it was ignorance and he certainly learnt that. And he's turning out to be a decent young man, and I say that as someone with mild republican tendencies.

I've shaken hands with blokes I used to go to school with who've come up to me to apologise for any racial name calling from school. They weren't the serious bullies, just the everyday stuff typical back then. Anyway it does restore your faith in humanity.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:05 Mobile | Show all posts
I can see your points, and I'm the first to admit that I originally struggled to understand what the issue is with the P word. In the Netherlands and many other cultures it is totally normal to shorten the name, but saying that we never had the racial tensions like what used to be here in the UK regarding P Bashing etc. To me it was a total alien concept and on par with calling my Australian friends Aussies or Belgiums Belgos etc. I had to look into history to see why shortening a countries origin name causes such anxiety and now I do understand.

Personally I think the case of Anne Marie is very different those. The whole phrase is directly related to slavery. No ifs not buts and a globally recognised unjust activity. Personally I thought that is on a totally different level and not even comparable.

But don't get me wrong, whilst I voice my opinion it is not with the intent to shut anyone else's opinion down. I think it is fascinating to learn all the different angles and viewpoints.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Though not as historically charged of course, I'm certain that in the UK, British Asians see the P word in exactly the same light as the N word. But let's not get bogged down by ranking, which is often ascribed to atrocities of recent history, because that's when we forget quite simply that bad is bad.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Bush came out with it and didn't know better.

Naive Bush slights Pakistanis with a short-cut

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 03:03:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes it's unacceptable.

But on a par with a professional driver being caught drink driving?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Words have power. If you don't know the historical context of the phrase used, then I suggest you look it up.

That showed weakness on Cameron's part to not deal with the issue in a decisive manner. MP's are answerable to the Electorate, Lords are not.

Seems her Election Agent uttered racist remarks in the run up to the Election -
Tory candidate distances herself from 'racist remark' made by her agent and partner at hustings

I think this is an example of where the right to recall an MP would be useful to settle the issue.  And this isn't Political Correctness either, that's just a convenient phrase to hide behind for a multitude of political sins when one doesn't want to get into the issues and resolve them.                                Click to expand...        [/quote]                                Click to expand...        [/quote]                                Click to expand...        [/quote]                                Click to expand...        [/quote]

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:03:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Of course not - the drink driving example was absurd. But public servants, at least those with a representative/customer facing role, should and must be held to the highest standards. This MP has to represent her entire constituency and, if some are now thinking they can't engage with her over perceived embedded racist views, then she must go.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部