12345678Next
Back New
View: 1757|Reply: 74

Help with PMC and Auralic set up for a helpless widow!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi. I was hoping I could get some sound help and advice during a really difficult time and having no one to turn to. I have PMC twenty2's connected to an Auralic Polaris Amp and Dac and Musical Fidelity Amp but I can only get one speaker to work.

Please forgive me if I have any of this wrong, I'm learning as I go but after the passing of my husband it is so important to me that I have them working. Both speakers work as I've tested them with the 'cable' that seems to be OK but I'm lost as to what to try next.

Apart from falling short of changing the whole system which I really do not want to do, I was hoping this amazing community could help.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:06 Mobile | Show all posts
If you can post some pictures of the rear of the amps and the speakers with the cabl sattached as you have them then that would give us a better idea to work from.

I am sure this is not insummountable, also worth posting the model numbers of the musical fidelity as you seem to possibly have two integrated amps unless you are using the auralic as a pre and the mf is a power amp.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure if this is any good. I took photos of the set up before I moved it and then put it all back exactly as it was, apart from plugging it into a TV instead of a PC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:08 Mobile | Show all posts
The speaker that isn't working, doesn't have a cable in and in a moment of rash decisions, pure angst to get everything set up I may have taken one of the cables out of the banana clip. So it could be a cable issue, in which case, which one would I use?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for those.

All very nice and quite high end pieces. From what I can see -

Pmc Twenty 22 stand mount speakers
Musical fidelity m6i integrated amp
Auralic Taurus mk2 headphone amp
Auralic Vega DAC

So, a couple of additional questions. What are you hoping to play throug( it as your source (tv, streamer etc) and are you likely to want to use headphones. I see a usb cable plugged into the dac plus a toslink optical (from the tv) .

So looks like you have two sources, usb and tislink optical, that connect into the Vega, the Vega output go into the inputs on the Taurus, the outputs on the Taurus should then go to one of the inputs on the M6I (can’t see those plugged in) but should be the Balanced inputs as it all looks like a balanced system. Finally the m6i speaker outputs should go to the pmc’s making sure you connect red to red and black to black and leave the connecting bars on the rear of the speakers in place.

Now if all that is in order then the m6i and maybe on/both of the auralic s may have a balance control that has inadvertently been set to left or right, worth a check. Manuals below.

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/m6i/4_M6i.pdf                       
                                                http://www.auralic.com/download/VEGA_USERSGUIDE_R1.pdf                       
                                                http://www.auralic.com/download/TAURUSMKII_USERSGUIDE_R1.pdf                       
                                                https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty_series_manual_feb14_lores.pdf               

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:10 Mobile | Show all posts
That's all really good. I've got it working, I've gone through the balance, but one speaker just doesn't seem to want to work.

If I need to get another cable, which one could I buy that isn't going to cost the earth?! I've googled it but as my husband died a week ago, I can't work it all out. He would either be really proud that I've set it up, or be absolutely fuming I've touched it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Do you have headphones you can plug into the Taurus to see if you are getting stereo at that point. Also what happens if you switch the cables from the left speaker to the right, does the working one switch? Worth trying switch the cables at the back of the speakers first then at the back of the amp.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Ahh, yes I like that idea. Yeh I have audeze LCD 2s I will try that tomorrow. The cables are a nightmare to thread into the back of the 22s and I'm so worried I'm going to knacker them up. Good shout on the headphones though. Thank you for your help. It means so much

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:14 Mobile | Show all posts
If the headphones are ok then the dac and the input to the Taurus are ok, next would be to switch the cables between the Taurus and the m6i to see if the speaker switches, if it does not the switch the speaker cables on the m6i.

If the headphones are not ok then switch the cables between the Vega and the Taurus to see if the fault also switches.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Hello

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss, welcome to the Forums and I'm sure your hubby would be proud of you for trying to set this all up and get it working again.

You've received very detailed advice so far and do have some quality kit there. Assuming nothing's been dropped, it is very likely to be a cable connection issue.

@Ugg10 has linked the various instruction manuals and it's usually just a case of methodically working through the cable connection paths for each component one at a time. Personally, I would recommend that you connect up all the electronics first and make sure they're communicating with each other properly. You can use your headphones to check this. I would connect up the speakers last and these are always a parallel path: Red  to Red , Black- to Black-.

Note: please make sure that everything is switched OFF before unplugging/plugging in cables!

Feel free to keep asking questions until this is sorted, this is what we are here for. And I know this can be maddening, but keep going!

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部