12345678Next
Back New
Author: Jamjones

Help with PMC and Auralic set up for a helpless widow!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:28 Mobile | Show all posts
It's how I have my headphone amp connected to my stereo amp even though it has pre-amp ability. Having it checked out by an expert would be better. Ask if you can take all the kit with you to be checked through.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:29 Mobile | Show all posts
The trouble with online advice is that it's usually coming from people to whom it is second nature, but to a novice is all gobbledygook!

What the guys are saying is that the MF amp supports both balanced and unbalanced connections (I think). You currently use the balanced connections and state that an Output port isn't working which is why, you think, you're not getting stereo through your speakers.

What has been suggested as an alternative is to use the unbalanced connections (RCA leads, one red and one white). It may not sound as good as balanced but at least it should work. They usually look like this:

AmazonBasics 2-Male to 2-Male RCA Audio Cable - 1.22: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics                                                                                                        Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy AmazonBasics 2-Male to 2-Male RCA Audio Cable - 1.22 meters at Amazon UK.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
It's up to you what you do, but I would recommend that you try my advice in Post #12 and/or get hold of some RCA leads. It would certainly be a lot cheaper than getting it checked out, but if you can afford it then it's a good option. As @gibbsy says, see if you can take all your kit in with you so they can connect everything up and see where the problem is along the signal path.

Keep us informed!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Maybe I shouldn't suggest this, but where abouts are you? I'm sure someone on here local would be happy to help in a hands on way

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi all. Been using some brain power and as I'm a little desperate to have things set up I'm thinking of moving the Auralic into the office so I can use the LCD 2s (would that work?) and then use a different amp to power some other speakers we have and keep the 22s safe until I'm in a better position to sort it all out! What do you think?

From the bottom of my heart I cannot thank you enough for your input and ideas. This community is amazing! I've got a few things I need to start selling and christ knows how I'm going to find out what it all is!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:30 Mobile | Show all posts
On behalf of all of us (taking a liberty but...) we are all happy to help. Maybe you could list all of what you have (make and model if possible) and between us we can try and come up with a system that works best for you.

The kit you have, thanks to you late husband, is pretty top notch and worth getting working. I am sure if you took it into a friendly shop they could quickly tell you if it does or doesn’t work.

There maybe even someone local on here that can meet you at the shop for moral support / techie speak translator. I would happily do so but am just too far away unfortunately.

I’ll try and get a diagram of connection for you in the next day or so and some suggestions of things to try, hopefully that may pinpoint the problem, but the kit you have deserves to be used and listened to and should be very good indeed.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:15:30 Mobile | Show all posts
If you are thinking of selling any items then there is a very good and well policed classified section here on the Forums. If you need any help with selling in our classifieds then PM me before you post your advert and I'll help you with the process or I'm sure one of moderators in charge of that section would also help.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks guys. A few weeks ago he directed me onto here using his account to look at the classified ads to look for a new PC and I felt like a fish out of water. He would be pleased with how much I'm doing. I've found some of his ads, so I'll probably just take that info but as it hasn't sold, just reduce it down. I found some headphones, amp, more speakers, screen and little bits that I'm sure someone would appreciate.

We have a Richer Sounds shop near us but they won't touch the MF! I'm very North Buckingham, near Milton Keynes. I'd like to have everything done before the funeral next week so I can stop worrying about things and focusing on rebuilding everything

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:15:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I believe this is the setup as it stands:

We know that the following works:
Dac
Cables A and B (as headphones get stereo)
Headphone amp inputs (as above)
Both speakers (both tested)
Speaker cables E and F (assuming both have been tried and both get sound out of a speaker).
MF amp R input
MF amp speaker R output
Headphone amp R output
Cable D

First thing to try is switching cables C and D. If sound now comes out of left speaker its the cable (C) that is faulty. If not then it means its either the headphone amp left output or the MF amp left input or left speaker output.

Next try removing the headphone amp from the setup as per next pic:

Now if there is still no sound from left speaker we can hopefully rule out the headphone amp outputs as being faulty, and its the MF left input or left speaker output. Try swapping cables A and B at MF amp end only to double check its not the inputs on the MF amp.

Next to try is to get a pair of stereo rca cables like these:

And add them between the dac outputs and mf amp inputs (try cd input). Make sure the MF amp has the correct input selected on the front. If both speakers work, then the MF amp balanced left input is faulty. If not then its the MF speaker output on left channel that is faulty.

Hope that makes sense, and you get it working.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:15:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm going to order them now and hope they arrive and I'll let you know how it goes. The diagrams are amazing thank you

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:15:35 Mobile | Show all posts
First thing, condolences on your loss, that should have been part of my first response.

With regards to pics, no probs, hope you get it sorted. Let us know if you get it sorted or need any more help. Oh and stick around its a friendly helpful community here and it is always welcoming of new members.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部