Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Spill the beans on that one please.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:41 Mobile | Show all posts
List price at Hifi Corner £699
Medium length eyelash flutter brought it down to £670 including delivery
With you wit, charm, long eyelashes and AVF Forum Moderator badge providing lots of free positive publicity I have no doubt that if you polish your neck with Brasso you could do much better ;-)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, I've found that price and have asked my local AudioT if they can supply for that price. I've placed the Marantz and headphone amp in it's possible new position and I very happy with that, three metre lead reaches quite well. Now I need the Denon to connect back to the main system and sell the 6006.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't forget, my DCD-2500NE came from a well known online/high street retailer - who gave me a price-beat, as well as a healthy discount on a 6-year warranty...

They don't advertise the products online, but all you need to do is phone telesales and give them details of product and price-beat dealer.  They'll come back with a deal.

Of course, if you are comfortable with another retailer, then great.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:44 Mobile | Show all posts
As per my previous thread, I only had the chance to compare the DCD-1600NE with the SA8005 - and even then, not back to back (few days between).

Can't comment on the earlier Denon model, as I've never heard it.

As far as the SA8005 vs the DCD-1600NE is concerned, my observations are in the previous thread but, in summary, more depth and width to the soundstage, slightly crisper highs, and slightly tighter control of e.g. bass guitar notes (more well defined).  Also, SA8005 discontinued a while ago - I was auditioning an ex showroom unit.

So, it was going to be a DCD-1600NE - until I read compulsive reviews of the DCD-2500NE in HiFi News (Ken Kessler) and Australian HiFi magazines.

This was to be my 'forever' disc player - so, being lucky enough to have some of my retirement lump sum available, I just went for it...

As far as the DCD-2500NE is concerned, it's like it's younger brother - but with many of the power supply and post-DAC amplifier components hand selected from best quality ranges (e.g. electrolytic capacitors), and I'm convinced I can hear a real improvement (but are aware of possible cognitive bias...).

The drive mechanism is an in-house design - not a repurposed DVD drive - and incorporates a metal tray and very robust build.  The whole thing is very heavy, with well thought out anti-vibration design and construction.

If I had one criticism, it's that the blue display is relatively faint - even on it's highest brightness setting - so impossible to read from my 2 metre listening distance in a bright room.  Although, I always play discs in Pure Direct mode - which switches off the display and the digital output circuitry.

Interestingly, I always played my previous Arcam CD82 via digital coax output through my Oppo Sonica DAC - which has the much vaunted Sabre ES9038PRO DACs.  However, I much prefer the result which I get from using the DCD-2500NE onboard DACs (PCM1795) and post-DAC amplifiers.  It may be the DACs, or it may be the post amplification...

Is the premium for the 2500 over the 1600 worth it...?  I have to say, the law of diminishing returns will always apply at this price point, and you have to decide for your yourself - auditioning is a must, if you can get it.  I was lucky enough to have taken a punt and am not disappointed but, then, your perception of value for money - and sound quality - may well be very different.

If I had gone with the 1600, I would not be disappointed, but I am thrilled with the 2500.

Regarding burning DSD files to DVD, you do really need to be careful on the quality of DVD-R which you use.  I have found that, while it doesn't like Ritek DVD-Rs, Verbatim discs work fine.  However, if there is a particular SACD title I'm really keen in owning, Discogs has really come up trumps on a number of occasions...  I'm just awaiting delivery of 'Aja' and 'Gaucho' (Steely Dan) from a German dealer - and Donald Fagen's 'Nightfly' is superb in SACD (IMHO ;-).

If anyone want's to see the two reviews of the DCD-2500NE which I have mentioned, you can either web search or, if you want to PM your private email address, I can send you the .pdf files.

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Hifi Corner do trade ins and you may get a fair price for your CD6006. For my PMA-2500 they were already £300 cheaper than anywhere else and then offered me £475 trade in plus collection cost for my M-ONE which I had bought brand new for £400 from AVOnline - i.e. over £75 less than the trade in offer. Hence why I took the offer without even haggling. Consider also that online offers better buyer protection than in store purchase and that my amp and SACD player were being stored in Germany immediately prior to my purchase which may have import taxes / complications should Brexit occur....

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:45 Mobile | Show all posts
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Denon DCD-2500NE SACD Player Review & Test                                                                                                        Buy one now… while you still can!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.avhub.com.au                                                                                                                                https://files.hifiklubben.com/49eabd/globalassets/tester/denon/160701_hfn_denon-dcd-2500ne.pdf                        I have re-looked at the internal photo's and there are more differences than I remembered, albeit much is shared. At double the price though 'tis the law of diminishing returns as you say and doubtless would require more spent downline....
As I type I'm certainly enjoying my DCD-1600ne . Be in no doubt it is a sterling player. It doesn't suffer poor recordings though and tells you straight how it is. I am listening to Bjork's Medulla which in many ways is a good recording, however there is sibilance and distortion on her solo voice in places - not the fault of the player (or the rest of the system) but it takes no prisoners. You mention Steely Dan's Aja. I am currently awaiting delivery of the vinyl version of this well recorded album and may well consider getting the SACD to compare which I prefer. If you have a link to the supplier I would appreciate it.
You mention the depth / width to the soundstage and I concur. The crispness to the treble is good / bad depending on the recording (see earlier mention of Herbie Hancock Sextant) and I agree re control of bass.
I also agree the onboard DAC is very good.
I don't have an issue with the display brightness.
Thank you for the head's up on the DVD-R issues
Enjoy the DCD-2500 - I'm slightly envious lol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Oops - messed-up quote

Anyway, you've got what you need re Discogs...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Aja here at Discogs:
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Steely Dan - Aja (SACDs) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace                                                                                                        Buy and sell Steely Dan - Aja (SACDs)  at the Discogs Marketplace.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.discogs.com

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:50 Mobile | Show all posts
At those prices I'll appreciate the vinyl more.... and maybe get the standard CD for 1/10th the price and 99% (at least on the Denon with it's upscaling) sq

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部