Author: Numpty112233

Denon PMA-2500NE & DCD1600NE review

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Amazon have the 2000 pressing advertised and it has a very good dynamic range average of 14. Problem with Amazon is that I've ordered a particular year that was advertised only to have a different pressing delivered, but looking at all the CD pressings they all have very good dynamics.

Aja: Amazon.co.uk: Music                                                                                                        Shop Aja. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
I've contact HiFi Corner with regards to p/x on my Marantz. Thanks for the tip.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Will look into that pressing
Yes - Amazon have their moments lol - I ordered vinyl John Coltrane's A love Supreme - and this is what I can listen to digitally on my account, however they sent me Santana and McLaughlin's version (which I've kept) and don't seem to be able to differentiate between them on the site.
I'm currently re listening to the Sextant SACD that I berated for it's treble harshness and either my player has soothed slightly from the 1st time it was ever switched on or forewarned is forearmed - or most likely I have the volume lower (always helps) but it's now definitely a bit easier on the ear and has great soundstage. I'm, er, actually enjoying it...
Hifi corner have a good reputation for customer service so see what they offer you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, many of the decently mastered CDs I've got sound superb - and I wouldn't bother with the SACD version.  However, there are exceptions where I have still gone after the SACD.  The most recent being the Analogue Productions remastered version of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' - stonkingly good as an SACD - also, Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America' (Mobile Fidelity remaster).

In general, SACD is certainly the best way to hear classical orchestral music - reproducing the very wide dynamic range of a concert hall, very accurately placing each instrument in space, and revealing background detail such as the turning of music sheets in the background.  Consider 'A Violin for All Seasons' - BBC Symphony Orchestra, with Tasmin Little, Chandos label;  and 'Elgar / Vaughan Williams, Enigma Variations, The Wasps, Greensleeves, Reference Recordings label.

You will sometimes find that some classical recordings have been mastered at lower volume levels, so need the volume control winding up - but beware the much wider dynamic range of the SACD format, you could blow your speakers!

Enjoy

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I have recently acquired a number of the Reference Recordings SACDs to which you refer which do indeed live up to their name. Maybe 3 decades ago I got a free sample CD of theirs which included Malcolm Arnold's Beckus The Dandipratt that has been a go-to for audition and general listening pleasure. It sounds stunning upscaled on the DCD-1600
edit - I also have the full Arnold CD played by London Philharmonic RR-48CD if it's still available highly recommended
2nd edit - just played it at full blast and not only is my hair (what little I have) standing on end but I have goosebumps. One of those rare disks when both the playing and recording are a full 10 out of 10

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, definitely recommend running the player in   I left mine, set to whole disc repeat, running 24/7 for about 10 days before serious listening.  It certainly got noticeably smoother with an improved soundstage - as you have found.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been in touch with HiFi Corner regarding the part ex on my Marantz, little low for the 1600 but offered more against the 2500. When I told the wife the prices the frown on her face wasn't too bad when I mentioned the price of the 2500, which is excellent with a discount. I could put the 6006 up for sale in the Forum's classifieds. Now I have to decide.

Is the 2500 worth the premium over the 1600. The idea is to use either of the Denons connected to my Lehmann Linear headphone amp as this still makes around 80% of my music listening on headphones. The wife, because of her heart condition gets tired and goes to bed early, too early for me and that's when I do most of my listening. It would not be fair to play the main system as the bedroom is right above the speakers. The Marantz 8005 would go back into the main system.

I've got till close of trade Wednesday to make up my mind. Just wish I could listen to them side by side.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:18:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't envy you...  Very difficult to determine whether it will be VFM as you will mainly be listening via headphones.

I have a pair of Focal Elears, driven by a Heed CanAmp.  Much better than the Sennheiser HD650s I had before - but I still have buyer's remorse....  Should have gone for the Focal Clears and a Lehmann Linear amp   (it just seemed too expensive at the time)  In my case, I don't hear anywhere near as much improvement over the headphone system as I do via my Neat speakers - but then, that's my system, and the Elears have a noticeable dip in response in the upper mid range (still pricey tho...)

Sorry I can't be more definite Difficult decision...

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:18:59 Mobile | Show all posts
You will be delighted with either
Questions;-
will you always be kicking yourself you didn't get the 2500 if you only got the 1600, even if you were extremely happy with it (which you would be)? The pain of cost is quickly forgotten but regret is permanent....
What would the kids spend the extra inheritance on?
Would the difference in cost get a decent upgrade in headphones that would be greater than the difference in sq between the two players? (Just thought I would throw this grenade in lol)
Would Hifi Corner give you the better trade-in value on the 1600 if you told them getting the business depended on it, particularly if another matched it? It's nice positive cashflow business for them - you're paying them before they pay Denon as they only buy it to order.
Is the difference in px value no more than the cost of a SACD?

To quote an earlier post - I like spending other people's money ;-)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:19:00 Mobile | Show all posts
As I privately told Numpty, I got a well-known national online/stores retailer to price beat HiFi Corner, and got a half-price 6-year warranty into the bargain.  Again, it was bought to order.

Happy to PM you with the details, if you wish...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:19:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Listening to my newly delivered SHM SACD copies of 'Aja' and 'Gaucho' as I type

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules