View: 118|Reply: 0

Funniest, funkiest, coolest film on the planet

[Copy link]
30-11-2019 02:12:38 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I guess it must be an age thing, but at 40 myself and my peers often find ourselves quoting Jake and Elwood.  'Would you like to come out for like, er, a date'; 'I hate Illinois Nazis'; '..get a new cigarette lighter'.

In isolation these quotes don't make any sense, but in situ they are classic lines by the masters that are Belushi and Ackroyd.  This is a film paying homage to some of the best music ever made, that steals classic comic performances from Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles and if I am not mistaken beats Michael Jackson to the punch by a mile with a massive group dance using the 'chicken' (the zombie dance in the Thriller video is a direct copy of the dance routine in the street while BB King is performing on the sidewalk, wearing incredible shoes).

This is a film that every house should own.  Not only is it extremely funny due to script, timing from the Bro's and quite frankly the total sex that is John Belushi, it is also heaving with classic tunes.  I have often had/been to parties where it is played in the background rather than putting the record/tape/CD player on (parties through the ages).

As an education in how to put music and comic genius together to make a film that is timeless this is it.

Let me give you an example.  I spent three years in South Africa as an expat from 1993 - 1996 and, of course, had this film on video (age again) as part of my collection.

SA is a sociable place and often new found friends from office, pub etc. would collect at my house for a meal (almost always a Braai).  "What's this?" one such person says one evening as I am tossing food on the barbecue, "I've never heard of the Blues Brothers".  "Put it on" I say, with quizzical looks from other guests that the TV should be switched on while we are out in the garden.  "and turn the volume up".

Rest history.  20 Captownians turned on to music they were never allowed to hear, gravitating indoors to see where it is coming from and then screaming with laughter while they danced in front of the TV.

This film, in my experience has changed lives.

Buy it, watch it, tell your children.

score 10/10

jackiebullimore 12 February 2003

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0173546/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部