Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 93|Reply: 0

Van Damme and Sci-Fi

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 02:58:37 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is pretty run-of-the-mill as far as sci-fi goes, and Van-Damme's acting wasn't any better than it was in his other films - contrary to popular opinion - but Peter Hyams' competent direction keeps the thing moving forward at a brisk pace, and Ron Silver makes for a wicked baddie that rivals his work in Blue Steel. If only the action were more exciting. Most of it consists of Walker staying in one position shooting at another guy, and vice-versa until somebody goes down for good. The shootouts lack energy and a sense of life for the most part. The fight scenes are......okay, but nothing that can compete with what I've seen in other actioners from that era. Oh yeah, and what was up with the villain's death scene? That was some frighteningly terrible CGI. I guess they were trying to rival the liquid metal effects in T2 and failed miserably. In fact, the entire finale was way too dark, like pitch black. I remember catching the finale on TV back in the day and noticed it was excessively dark then, too, but Blu-ray doesn't seem to have corrected the problem. Well, flaws aside, this is still one of Van Damme's better films, with some amusing moments here and there.

score 6/10

Abyss47 19 July 2013

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2834641/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部