Author: Curly99

LCD -matrices,differences and what models are placed *Part 2*

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:44 Mobile | Show all posts
"Generally speaking" would it be safe to say that "most" Samsung, Sony and Sharp TVs use some form of vertical alignment panels and LG and Panasonic use some form of IPS panels?

Also, is there a webpage that just shows photos of the panels used in the 2012 TVs?

Thanks,
yeto
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:44:45 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I wonder how the new VA paneled panasonics perform? what technology are they using?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Is this always true, or is it just a panel lottery with the larger TV also?

I returned my 40" 853 because it was smearing blacks when gaming and I am now looking to upgrade it to the 46" version.  I have tested out the 46" 853 in PC World (took my console into the store) and this didn't drag blacks at all and was perfect, so I am assuming it had the PSA panel.

However my concern is that the the 46/55" is a panel lottery and knowing my luck the 46" I buy will have the older SPVA panel.  Could this be the case or are all the larger 46" and 55" screens equipped with PSA panels?

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi,

I'm pretty much decided to buy the 40" HX850, since my viewing distance is 1'5m (or even a bit less), and I'm mainly gonna use it for games (also some mkvs). Which are the biggest issues I should be concerned about if compared to the 46" and the 55"?

I mean, in my case, switching to a bigger screen (and being at 1'5m) would even be too big for Full HD content (and I'm gonna use a lot of 720p from Xbox360 and PS3), and I was completely decided to go for the 40"s one when I read about the panel's difference in a review's comment.

Therefore, which are the main differences between both panels (S-PVA and S-PVA with PSA)? In this topic I've read that the PSA panels reduce a bit the contrast and viewing angles but improve 3D (which wouldn't really be a problem for me, since I'll be using mainly 2D), but I don't know it that's the case with the HX850. Anyway, would in my case be better to go to the 46" or the 40"? Or better go for another TV (40" if possible)?

Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, I don't know the technical differences between S-PVA and PSA screens but I can tell you about my experience with the 40HX853.

I had the 40" for a few weeks and used the TV a lot for gaming, and found that the panel was dragging blacks when gaming, like any motion on dark/black objects would leave a smear behind them.  I mentioned this on the owners forum and I had another member said he noticed this effect on his 40", but the owners of the 46" and 55" TV didn't have this.  I returned the TV to RS and tried their demo model 40" and that did the same as mine.  I have since demoed on a couple of occasions the 46HX853 and found this to be a lot better, and this smearing black effect was not present.  I have now got the 46" on order.  I can only assume that this motion difference is due to panel type/pixel structure differences.

Don't get me wrong, the 40" was a fabulous TV for movies/TV but I felt it didn't live up to my expectations in terms of gaming, the picture it produced was amazing with gaming, but motion with blacks was a bit off putting for me.  I may be a picky bugger (I am!), so not everyone is going to notice/be bothered by this (but for the price I paid I expected more).  I would go and have a play around with the 40" in-store with your console and see what you think.

Other TVs I have tested with games are the 42ET5 which had problems with weird lines on game mode, Samsung 40ES6710 which I didn't like and ST50 which had problems with 30fps games (typical of plasma from what I read).

I am sure the more technical bods on here will tell you the panel type differences in terms of contrast/viewing angles etc.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the quick answer.

Do you think it would be too much getting the 46" instead of the 40" for my viewing distance of 1'5m? Btw, I assume that you experienced these problems while using the game mode. Isn't there any option in the TV that could reduce these smearing problems without affecting heavily the input lag? Maybe that could be the solution for me, if I finally got the 40". Since the input lag is good in this panel (28-32ms), maybe it wouldn't be that bad to increase it a bit with some correcting feature while helping the overall image (specially the smearing blacks problem you say). This might be the reason why the movies don't show smearing blacks but gaming does, isn't it?

Another options I'm considering are the Philips 9706 and the Sony HX929 (both outlet, probably), both in 46", but here I'm also having the viewing distance issue, so it's hard to tell which is the best option. Indeed, after reading a lot of reviews and having watched the Sony HX850 both in 40" and 46", I was quite decided to go for the 40" one, but these new issues are changing my mind a bit, and I don't know what to do... Anyway, I know any change is gonna be better, since right now I have a 26" Sungoo LCD (Samsung panel) which is 6 years old (and whose blacks look like bluish grey ), but I want to take the right step if I want this new TV to last until the OLEDs being affordable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:50 Mobile | Show all posts
At 1.5m viewing distance 46" Imo is a bit too big.  I was indeed using game mode when noticing this black dragging issue and I did try other modes which did help with the smearing, but also added some unwanted input lag but not a huge amount.  You can tell the difference between modes, but for single player games it would be fine IMO, if you are playing online or fast reflex games like FPS then you may struggle with anything other than game mode.

I have read around a LOT of forums (UK and via google translate) researching TVs and have read many owners views on the HX853/855/850 TV ranges and there are very few complaints mentioning this dragging black issue.  So either not all the 40"ers do it (and RS had a bad lot) or I was just really sensitive to it.

Is there any way you can take your console and test the 40" in-store?  I did my testing in PC World and a smaller Currys store both which was very obliging, particularly since I gave them the impression I would be placing my order with them

I had been looking for a TV for around 5 months now and in that time have read and learnt a lot about tvs (especially concerning gaming) and I have found what is not acceptable for one person, another will have no problem with at all.  So if I was you I would definitely demo the TV and then you will know one way or the other.

Sorry  I can't be more helpful but the most important thing I have learned when buying a TV is don't rely too much on reviews and others opinions , instead try the TVs out for yourself.  I wish I had done that before buying (and sending back) my first 2 TVs, it would have saved a lot of trouble

Cheers, Jason

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Well, I'm really not a big fan of online games, and although I play some FPS (offline) I normally play a lot of kinds of games (sports, RPG, adventure, racing, etc), so a really low input lag wouldn't be that essential for me I guess. Of course lower is better, but I could live with it. And yeah, I agree in the fact that 46" might be too big in my case. Another option would be replacing some things in my room. I could get some 30 or 40 cm if needed, but another fact is that if I could go for the 40" my wallet would be probably happier

Going to test my console somewhere would be good (although here in Barcelona I've never seen somebody testing their console in an electronic shop ), and I might try someday, but I trust your opinion and any other's feedback. Anyway, there's obviously the fact that the panel is different and might have some issues (not everybody will notice them anyway, since people have different perception).

Btw, there's something I don't understand at all. If the S-PVA panels (i.e. HX853 40") have better contrast and viewing angles, why are the S-PVA with PSA panels (with lower contrast and viewing angles, i.e. HX853 46") better in 2D or at least for gaming? Is there something I'm not understanding at all? Which are the benefits in 2D picture quality of the PSA panels over the non-PSA panels if the last ones are supposed to be "better"? I'm aware of the benefits in 3D picture quality, but not in 2D, so I'm a bit confused and I'd like understanding why.

Thanks again Jason.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:44:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Hello, folks!
This topic, heroically and generously sustained by hristoslav2, needs future matrix photos/pictures taken.
Used to be a supplier of those.  Does anyone want to apply for me, instead? No approval needed... Just audacity and boldness...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部