1234Next
Back New
Author: LinnOwner1971

2 computers, 2 monitors, one keyboard, one mouse

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 02:58:20 Mobile | Show all posts
But the new machine will browse the web too, and saves you the cost of a KVM.

Presumably then the new machine spends significant periods working away on it's own rendering or encoding video where it's not fit for use as a web browser?

If that's your needs then it rules out a virtual machine, which would generally be the solution if you were keeping the old machine around to run software that wouldn't run on the new.

A software KVM works like a remote desktop in that you control the second PC from the first but unlike remote desktop it doesn't send the video over the network so you'd swap the monitors using their change source buttons. It's not a one click solution, but it eliminates the hassle of plugging and unplugging keyboard and mouse and the cost of buying a hardware KVM.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:58:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes the USB outputs connect to each computer's USB port.

You would need a hub to connect your KB/Mouse to....

USB 3.0 Hub,ICZI 4-port USB Data Hub Adapter for Mac, iMac, XPS,Notebook PC, Mobile HDD and More-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories                                                                                                        Buy                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
The output from the Hub connects to the input of the switch, which then connects to each of your computers

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:58:21 Mobile | Show all posts
"But the new machine will browse the web too, and saves you the cost of a KVM. "

I want to make use of the old machine rather than throw it away. KVMs are not that expensive.

"Presumably then the new machine spends significant periods working away on it's own rendering or encoding video where it's not fit for use as a web browser? "

Most of the time yes. And yes it can be used to be a web browser as well whilst it is rendering due to the high spec.

"If that's your needs then it rules out a virtual machine, which would generally be the solution if you were keeping the old machine around to run software that wouldn't run on the new."

I understand your points here. But 2 machines is good for when one machine is sick.....lol.....which seems to occur more often than you would think. Plus I have oodles of connections like loads of USB ports.....loads of drives....loads of memory sticks....Loads of RAM.....etc...I could go on....

"A software KVM works like a remote desktop in that you control the second PC from the first but unlike remote desktop it doesn't send the video over the network so you'd swap the monitors using their change source buttons. It's not a one click solution, but it eliminates the hassle of plugging and unplugging keyboard and mouse and the cost of buying a hardware KVM."

No comment on this because I don't completely understand what you are saying.

https://www.avforums.com/posts/27558868/react?reaction_id=1

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:58:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Which USB port? The mouse? The keyboard? A spare port?

And the first point which you haven't answered is ....do I need a docking station for my keyboard AND mouse?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:58:23 Mobile | Show all posts
See my edit above.....

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:58:24 Mobile | Show all posts
"Yes the USB outputs connect to each computer's USB port. "

Which USB port on each computer?

The mouse USB port?
The Keyboard USB port?
A spare USB port?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:58:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Any USB port, it shouldn't matter, USB will sort itself out. Before you commit to purchase, try it - unplug your mouse/KB and plug into a different port, see if they work.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:58:26 Mobile | Show all posts
OK thanks John.

I have found this....more expensive...but they say you get what you pay for!?

TESmart HDMI   VGA 2x2 HDMI Dual Monitor KVM with 2 Pcs 5ft HDMI KVM Cables: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics                                                                                                        Buy                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:58:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Ha! About a £100 more expensive and a shed load of cables to route /connect up. Your choice, good luck

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:58:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Incidentally John the advert for the gadget you are suggesting says this....

"System requirements:
* Available USB 3.0 Port
* Two Computer Systems For Swapping
* USB 2.0 Peripheral Such as Keyboard, Mouse, USB Graphics Adapter
* Operating System - Wind "

What is a USB Graphics Adapter?

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules