12345678Next
Back New
Author: Atmos

Sony buys Insomniac Games

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:24:17 Mobile | Show all posts
I think right now we are in a scenario where valve do have the best VR hardware package out there (for a price) but oculus have by far produced / paid to have produced the better VR software.  Oculus also have the better infrastructure with things like ASW2.0 and even pinning apps and what not in game i believe works better when using oculus software.

It is unfortunate. I would say both companies should be big enough to support both A grade hardware AND support the production of A grade software.
Oculus HMDs are aimed at a certain demographic and I fully support that, I do wish they offered more for those prepared to pay a bit more however.   Hypothetically an oculus device with index specs i would pay good money for - even if it was inside out tracking (indeed it would be cheaper that way)
. I was  interested in cosmos but early indications are that is not going to be the device i am looking for either.

Neither company deserve championing imo and i hope ultimately both of them do better.

I do fully believe however that oculus are doing more for making PCVR** a product for the masses where as Valve the way they are doing it will keep it just a niche for the rare ultra high end enthusiasts.

I think for oculus rift owners with oculus touch this entire batch of headsets looks to be pretty skippable to be honest.... Though the index for me is the best of the bunch if i was gonna bite on any of them.

I am hoping for a quest 2 in the not too distant future with a jazzed up link cable to pc. (maybe just stick a Diplay port on it and be done with it, or go for usb 4.0

**Not PCVR however Sony also are (I hope) going to play a huge role in this if VR is to become mainstream any time soon

ultimately however I do agree with this.  Where I am not 100% as convinced as you are is who is to blame.  Facebook in every other venture are all about market penetration, whatsapp and facebook apps are there for just about every platform going.  My question is, and always has been really, why would they have such a different mentality to VR?

if facebook were to use the same logic with VR as all their other products, they would not give 2 monkies about what hardware you have, they would just want you on their software platform.

They have been upfront and stated they will not support a wrapper as it is a sub par experience.  I have seen this myself it is true.

They have also said they have approached valve to see if they could support the other hardware directly and claim they were rebuffed. @Atmos you clearly think this is a lie and oculus only want oculus hmds on their store...... I just do not see the logic in that idea however.

I DO see the logic in what valve are doing, plaster as many headsets as possible as officially supported even when that experience is compromised........   I see the logic of that to line valves pockets, but it is irritating for me.

I think there needs to be separation between oculus supported titles via steamVR and oculus native support, to save me having to ask the same damn question every time i come to buy a vr game from steam.  
A steamVR title on oculus rift is no more officially supported than an oculus title running reVive imo.

I do like that valve allow native support for oculus rift in their games on the store.... I wish oculus would do that, but again I have no idea if this is down to oculus refusing to allow developers to do that, OR if valve would be annoyed if oculus titles supported lighthouse tracking on a rival store / or would demand licensing money to do it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:24:17 Mobile | Show all posts
That can’t possibly be true. Because when you install Steam it automatically detects your headset and allows you to access SteamVR from the get go.

When you install the Oculus software it doesn’t detect your headset at all. You have to google Revive, find the latest release and install. Then as soon as Oculus update their software it can break Revive all together.

But you are right about Facebook and market penetration. That is why they stopped CV1 production and handed over to Lenovo to concentrate on a mass market product in Quest. That’s why Iribe quit and then Nate because the vision those founding members had had gone. Instead you get OC6 where RiftS is barely mentioned and it’s all about Quest while they dangle the HalfDome carrot like they did 12 months ago and then shock everyone including me with RiftS.

Quest is Oculuses future away from PC even when they release the link cable. I’m pretty sure we’ll see a Quest 2 long before the illusive CV2.

Use magic Report

Maybe we will. So long as quest 2 makes a decent PCVR HMD however i see that as a win win.  i get to dabble with a standalone headset and also have a hopefully decent PCVR device as well.

Quest 1 is a bit limited - it seems i have not tried it - as a pcvr hmd, but personally i am really interested in the idea for the next gen.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I agree. The best stick to beat any oculus fan down with is the lack of hardware commitment to pcvr.

However once again I reiterate, that same stick can be used to beat down valve’s lack of software support in regards to games.

We are stuck with one company who has the best in class pc software and optimisations but subpar sh*tty hardware.

And another which has the best in class hardware package but poor software in comparison.

I hope valve make big strides with steamvr in every way possible.

I still cannot understand how you love sony though whilst hating oculus. It’s clear bias. Both are trying to compartmentalise VR and sell exclusive platforms with closed gates.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:24:17 Mobile | Show all posts
All I know is I’m having a blast with my Index. If I want to fly the galaxy I have NMS or ED. If I want to race I have PC2. If I want to shoot I have Onward, Pavlov or Zero Calibre. If I want adventure I have SkyrimVR. If I want action I have DoomVFR. If I want puzzles I have Call of StarSeed. If I want to chill I have BigScreen or YoutubeVR.

My point is VR content on Steam has come a long way and can match anything on the Oculus Store. Or prove me wrong.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:24:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Yup Steam has come a long way with VR. The only area I don't think its has improved so much in is multi tasking, pinned windows, web browsing etc.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I’m not trying to prove you wrong because that what you’ve answered isn’t my point at all. You constantly move the pole and try to divert conversation topics away from points made. It’s pathetic.

My point is clear in that valve’s software support pales in comparison to oculus’s whilst valves hardware is much better.

From optimisations to home environments to ui to virtual desktops to exclusive games, oculus are ahead.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:24:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Pathetic. Lol

What software support are you even talking about? The games in the works? A game that takes 5 years to make? Or a 15 minute Vader style game?

If I’m that pathetic name me one game made by Oculus Studios that last longer than a week.

Show me all those amazing Oculus Studio games I must of missed them all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:24:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh I missed FallOut4 and my fav Sub game Iron Wolf.

Now this is even before we get to Valve.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Oh have Valve released a full VR game at last?

Back on topic, so does this mean Sony are going to use Insomniac just for VR games? I find that doubtful somehow. Interestingly all the games mentioned above are being played by more people on Oculus hardware than any others at present. They did say they wanted to get a billion into Vr, not a bad start in my book.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部