Author: MikeKay1976

Official Rift S announcement soon?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think we'll see 140 degrees FOV, and (I hope I'm wrong!) it's also unlikely imo that we'll see any increase in the FOV compared to the Rift...

...but what I'm 100% certain about is that they'll definitely be changing the lenses rather than doing what HTC did with the Vive Pro and using the same crappy lenses that it's predecessor has lol

And we already know, at least according to rumours, that it's going to utilise inside out tracking via four cameras on the headset. But what we DON'T know is whether Insight inside out tracking can be used in COMBINATION with Constellation tracking.

It would certainly make sense to do so because unless they want games like Echo Arena to be unplayable they need to do SOMETHING to improve the tracking of the controllers when they're out of view of the four cameras or the controllers are held too close to the cameras.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:24 Mobile | Show all posts
What does the S stand for?
Do you think that they will keep that name (Rift S), or change it?
Didn't the original Rift have a different name up until release (Crescent Bay or similar)?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:25 Mobile | Show all posts
I think the S is 2 reversed.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:26 Mobile | Show all posts
The Rift S is just a temporary name. It's actually going to be called the Rift Harv when it's released. True story.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:37:26 Mobile | Show all posts
I did read this somewhere. It was either 'Similar' or 'Slightly different'. Or was it 'Sideways upgrade'?

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:37:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Hypothetically.... would you guys be happy if quest and Rift S were essentially the same but you plugged in a hdmi cable into it to get "Rift Mode"?.

This would mean no increase in FOV and would be the same limitations screen and lens wise as what ever the quest has but would be 1 HMD to do everything?

I think this would be an interesting concept and is probably what i was expecting at some point in the future.  I think IF when in rift mode it still supported consellation as well as inside out tracking i would be happy with that, but if not then i think i would give it a swerve...

I am not that bothered about stand alone VR with the limitations of the hardware going in the quest and if no increase in FOV and am just dont have enough faith in inside out tracking yet so would need to suck it and see before buying.

BUT IF it optionally supported my sensors so i knew i would get 100% tracking AND could probably lose 1 sensor then i could be interested.

i imagine it would be good for people with a motion platform too.....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Are we in for a suprise or will Rift S be what we expect - a Quest Lite?

If Oculus went all out with FOV, Resolution and wireless it would undoubtedly be called Rift 2.

If Rift S is Quest Lite the bigger question is how long before the real Rift 2 stands up, 2020, 2021?

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:37:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Oculus do seem to be looking at mass appeal even for PC VR and putting the enthusiast level on the back burner for now

I think this is good for oculus, good for VR as a whole... but as someone who is an enthusiast kind of sucks for me.

But the problem is for me all the other players currently have issues for me which are show stoppers. (I am interested to know more about valves rumoured HMD)

I suspect you are right and RiftS will be closer to quest than to a rift 2... BUT I still am hoping that if it is a separate device to the quest that they push the FOV envelope a little bit (resolution and lens improvements is a given).

IF it is just a clone of the quest without the compute then they should do us all a favour and just put a hdmi / DP socket on the quest and have 1 product.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:37:29 Mobile | Show all posts
This is exactly why I prefer the Cosmos which removes all the compute and leaves it to either the PC, mobile phone or other add on compute device. It means Cosmos is not restricted like the Quest and can function like a Rift S.

I’m hoping everyone goes 135-140FOV because after owning the Pimax for a month their is no going back. I wouldn’t like to live with VR stuck with 100FOV for another 3 year cycle. That would suck for everyone.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:37:30 Mobile | Show all posts
RE cosmoscThat is certainly an interesting way of doing it.
RE rift S.... Hopefully won't be long now and we will know a bit more, tho I doubt we will get hard specs. Hopefully Tested or similar will be able to give a rough comparison

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部