Author: CFC1

Smugmug acquires Flickr

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:29 Mobile | Show all posts
While I knew of Flickr I didn't know the specifics of their plan but 1TB of free storage does seem a bad idea from a business point of view.  I do like Smugmug as there's no adverts and increasingly these days I'm wary of 'free' services or products because it's not free, you just don't always know how you're paying for it and Photobucket in particular got bad for questionable adverts.  I also find Smugmug's tech support is usually very good as well.

That said I'd be happier with a lower tier option where I could perhaps only upload a 2MP photo size or similar as most of the time I'm just sharing a small photo on a forum like this and I don't need or use the capabilities Smugmug offers.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:34:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Think the "free 1TB" was a hook during Yahoo troubles. I did have pro when BT was in cahoots with Yahoo but BT saw how the security was and pulled away. We lost the Pro version if that was gratis with BT. So sort of stayed with them.

Might drop back but try to delete from Flickr and yahoo, up hill struggle.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:31 Mobile | Show all posts
So, what to do with 30,000 plus photos on Flickr, what is the deal for downloading to clear them off, is the deadline 8th then 1000 fotos or can you access to retrieve those still on there or is it $49 to get then back? But unclear, interestingly I have not got any of the emails.

Edit, just read the small print, looks like I have until feb 19 to clear out my Flickr archive. So, no more bbcode links and going back to monthly hard drive backups on a removable disc and taking them round to the parents for storage.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:34:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I would not have used Flickr as a sole repository. I used it to stash a few but I already have a more robust backup involving several hard drives and off site and cloud. Spread it around.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks. I agree, I have the originals on my pc, back up to a network drive and then every few months back up to a portable hd. Flickr only dealt with the jpg and storing approx 1tb of raw files on the cloud gets expensive. The convenience of Flickr for sharing and forum linking was probably the best part of it plus the auto back up of mobile devices using the studio app made it idea for me. Hohum onto the next one!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:33 Mobile | Show all posts
You sure that's not worth $49.99 a year to avoid?

This is the timeline as posted earlier on...
I've read elsewhere that downloading more than 5000 images from an album stalls and doesn't work.  There are third party apps that can do it more effectively if I come across the link again I'll post them here.

None of my Flickr content is unique.  There are a lot of JPG resized for the web but I have the original JPG, RAW and lightroom exported JPG safely backed up in 3 places.

The thing I'd lose is the tagging and locations and the external links and Flickr groups - I could probably trim down to <1000 images for a while but eventually I'll bounce back up to the limit.
Still in two minds about just paying up - time is money and all that - but of course if I choose to move later it's an even bigger task!

I had a similar experience with a Talk21.com email address.  
It was free for years and I used it as my main account, then they added a £1.20 per month charge for non BT Broadband customers, then that became £1.60 a month then suddenly £5 a month.  
It was on my list to migrate but the £5 didn't seem that much each month...then they unexpectedly locked my partner out of her account and claimed she couldn't have ever had an email address without a Broadband contract.  That was a real eye opener!  
Several weeks of argument and bills and she never got her address back.
Teaches you not to rely entirely on a cloud service!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:34 Mobile | Show all posts
The downloader I've seen is here...
flickr downloadr - Batch download your flickr photos!
I make no recommendation as I've not used it so do your own research before you install!

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:34:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Any amazon prime members tried the free prime photos option?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I've given in and used the FLICKRPRO30 code to get 30% off my first year of Pro.
I've paid $34.99 which according to Visa should cost me £27.35
Exchange Rates

I noted it says it will Auto Renew next year so I've set a couple of phone reminders in the weeks running up so I can make a choice if I want to carry on.

I've had a look at the "Stats" section which claims I was a PRO in 2012 - some hang on from Yahoo BT I expect.  No interesting numbers before today and I doubt I'll care anyway.
If you're already a Pro it might be worth trying that code out anyway?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:34:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I can still log in despite cancelling and Yahoo will not delete my account that I use to log in. Give em one more chance then ICO.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部