123456Next
Back New
View: 1458|Reply: 54

What Martial Arts do you train / compete in?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:12 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
A spin-off from the MMA Discussion thread folks, you can find it in my sig if you've not been there...

As many of us from the MMA thread have recently started (or restarted) training in some form of martial arts, BigStu ordered me to start a poll!  Just out of curiosity really to see who is training and in what style(s).

Please keep the discussion etc to the MMA thread as this is not intended to branch into 2 discussions.  I've started a new thread for the poll rather than add one to the MMA thread simply because we go through new MMA threads every few months and the poll would close with the thread.

Feel free after voting to simply state what level you have trained or competed in each art but as I say, I would prefer to limit the posts here to a simple 1 post explanation of your vote rather than a full blown discussion as that would simply result in the thread being merged into the MMA thread and then as I say, we'd lose the poll in a few months.  Feel free to carry the discussion on in the main MMA thread.

I wasn't sure whether to limit the poll to styles that you are currently studying or include those from the past.  Many people did Judo or Karate when they were kids.  Basically I'd suggest using common sense.  I did 2 Karate classes when I was 16 but I'm not going to tick Karate!  On the other hand if you were a higly graded belt holder in Karate in your youth but haven't trained in years, feel free to tick it as it is certainly relevant!

I have listed MMA as an option, although MMA by it's definition is a combination of the other styles.  However many people are doing a MMA course incorporating all the basic elements of the different styles.  I've also listed Muai Thai and Kickboxing separately although many would consider them the same.  however I've read that if you're in Thailand and you refer to kickboxing, you're likely to get KO'd as Muai Thai purists hate the "Americanised" term.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:35:13 Mobile | Show all posts
I'll start us off!

Currently training in a MMA class for the past 8 months, and have just started doing BJJ last month, currently 5 classes into the 36 part Gracie JiuJitsu curriculum.

Have never competed, not sure if I ever will.  The thought of it terrifies the wife and at my current weight/cardio/inexperience combination it's certainly not an option.  There are amateur leagues in Ireland every now and again though so it's a good way to get involved at a very low level.

EDIT, my training blog is here!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Highest rank achieved was a brown belt in Shotokan Karate at 12 but I gave that up.

Went through numerous gradings in JKD incorporating traditional boxing, wing chun and submission grappling elements. Have also trained Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai and Catch Wrestling (think Josh Barnett if you're an MMA head) and also combined those skills in MMA classes.

Only ever had one full contact match and that was a private thing arranged by friends at a gym. Had an ambition to compete when younger, but I think it's passed me by at 28 just gone plus I tend to block things with my head which could cause me to go all James Toney speech impediment in a few years.

My avatar is me being hit by a girl. I am very tough.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I did Thai boxing for around 18 months when I was 18/19 (now 37). I fought four times though probably shouldn't have been allowed to as all four fights were in between the first three and nine months of training. I won one and lost three My sole win was by KO, lost one by KO (and a broken nose!), another by doctor stoppage after falling out of the ring and literally landing on my head and my first one on points. Quite eventful really!

Six months ago I took up Karate (Shotokan). My current grade is 7th Kyu (yellow belt) and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm totally focused on training and can see this now being part of my life for however long I'm fit enough to train.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I reached 3rd kyu or Purple belt in Karate (that’s one below Brown) but gave that up when I was 12.
I did Wing Chun for 5 years but we did not have grading’s although once I left gradings started and friends who were my level got given their brown sash’s.
Next up was Freestyle Kung Fu which was a mixture of Wing Chun, Kickboxing, Boxing and Aikido and I was an instructor before I gave that up.

Currently I train Judo (since February 2010) and am a 6th kyu. My training blog can be found here Judo is only gentle for the guy on top
I have also been having BJJ lessons for the last month since my Judo club is closed for the school holidays although I hope to continue to do both when I can.

I have only ever competed twice winning a bronze in my first Judo competition this year after only 2 months of Judo.
I also got a bronze in a full contact International Karate Competition when I was training in Wing Chun even though I broke my hand and big toe in my first fight and went on to win 4 more fights.

I do hope to compete again in Judo and maybe BJJ but I have no desire to get punched in the face so will give MMA a wide birth.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 21:35:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Train in Kung fu , and have done for 9 years - no comps entered
train in Taekwon do - 3 years - london open bronze heavy weight 2009 , gold 2010 , british opens gold 2009 , english opens gold 2009
train MMA grappling and thai boxing

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Yikes.... If i ever see a guy with a hairy dwarf on his arm I must remember to avoid taking the Michael!

I'm not trained at all in martial arts, something I'd like to do but never seemed to get round to!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Train in MMA not a course as such just turn up and learn what ever the coach is teaching.

enjoy it and great source of fitness but as drphil said with regard competing skill set /weight /fitness ratio = Bad Idea

oh yeah, and I also block with my head.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:35:20 Mobile | Show all posts
About to start a Strength & conditiong class at a dedicated Glasgow based MMA gym, also taking on BJJ & Wrestling on Tuesdays/thursdays.

Despite being 28 i've always been active, all sports plus personal training and the idea of competing isn't as ridculous as it may seem and something i will strongly consider should i plug away and soak in all i can from the courses ahead.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 21:35:21 Mobile | Show all posts
I love competition, after a few more years of MMA ( only done the grappling part for a year , which is a very important aspect of the game ) ill happily step in a cage, its not about winning or losing , its about training in an art and pushing your body as far as you can physically and mentally. Thats what i enjoy, its not for every one , hell the octagon may not even be for me - but at least i can say i have tried.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部