12345678910Next
Back New
Author: Solomon Grundy

Disappointed with my new car

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 23:28:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I guess we all like different things. I really like the control knob in Mercedes. I find it very quick to navigate without having to look at the screen. Much better than the touch screen on my VW where basically with the suspension so stiff I can't keep my finger still and hit the right spot. Also have to come forward out of my seat in order to touch the screen.

Likewise with linguatronic, it definitely picks up my Anglo Dutch English accent A simple push on the button and just speak the command. Works very well for me.

After three years we swapped out GL for a GLC which has the updated system. Works even better imo although I did switch off the trackpad on top of the button. I found that irritating but easily switched off.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:28:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Sounds like yours has got even more stuff than mine. My Grand Cherokee used to do pretty much anything I asked it to, even not run me over after exiting.  Maybe mine has voice activation for other things apart from the navigation, which is terrible, it doesn't understand a word I say.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:28:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you got the full Command Online navigation system with full linguatronic? Or have you got the SD card based Satnav system. I think there is a big difference in how it operates. Or if the question is too weird and sound like Dutch do you have the Premium Plus package with Burmester sound system?

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:29:00 Mobile | Show all posts
No, mines just the bog standard AMG Line spec.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:29:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Aha, it all becomes clear. You do not have the Command system at all, you do not have the linguatronic module, you have Audio 20 (I think it is called). Yes I would not be happy with that either, not at all. It is basic.

But then again, if you didn't order the options then surely it isn't reasonable to expect it to provide the functionality?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I think it's unreasonable to expect all the bells and whistles but an "awful  handsfree" and a voice activated sat nav that doesn't understand the user are just a poor product.  
You shouldn't have to upgrade to get built in systems that are functional.

Use magic Report

Agreed in principle - but we haven't provided a definition of what is awful about the handsfree. And for the voice activated sat nav I was merely highlighting that this is not the standard linguatronic which combines all those systems.

I think most people remember the Ozzy Osbourne video in his BMW 7 series. I couldn't understand him, why would a computer? Not saying this is the case with the OP but we need to keep an open mind before jumping to conclusions.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:29:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I pretty much speak BBC English with a slight tinge of Hull. Have never had issues with voice activation before now. It is also annoying that you can't direct yourself to an address using a postcode.

Another thing is the speaker mesh in the dashboard behind the steering wheel. It reflects up in the windscreen and is pretty distracting in certain light.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:29:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm Scottish (Glaswegian) so that'll explain why mines never works

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:29:01 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a northern accent (despite living down south for 35 years) and found that Alexa couldn't understand my pronunciation of the word 'fade' for a light setting I'd configured. I had to change it for another word as I got tired of trying to say it in every different way I could think of. That's also why I've never bothered trying to set up any voice activated devices in my previous BMW 3 series or my current C class C220 AMG line.

I've got used to the control wheel and I'm quite adept at being able to spin it from say Radio 2 straight through to Radio 6 Music. I do know what you mean about the cruise control stalk, though it's not something I use very often, nor the limiter but I'm now familiar with the sign on the dash that shows it is engaged.

I took a bit of a gamble as unlike the OP I couldn't arrange a test drive before I need to place the order through my work lease group. Luckily I find that the seats suit me and being automatic I don't have to worry about how heavy the clutch is/gear lever easy to reach/associated back pains due to stop start traffic as I have had with previous cars. Of course the E class will be auto anyway I guess. However I have been stuck with cars in the past that made my back ache, so I do sympathise with those who are in this situation.

It probably helps that I don't tend to make many phone calls in the car, personally I find it distracting even hands free, but it's easy enough to answer by pressing the button on the steering wheel. However, there is an easy to navigate 'last numbers dialed' menu on my dashboard (ie not the 'stuck on iPad like thing'). I don't know if the E class has a similar option: Just set it on this and it's ready for each journey once your phone connects.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部